Remove Advertisements

Eternal Shadowspirit Meta -- Who wants it?

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Eternal Shadowspirit Meta -- Who wants it?

Postby Sur-Pseudo » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:01 pm

Just curious if this meta has any merit or chance to compete with the 2% armor value meta (IF it's fixed)

My (horrible) napkin math was wrong, but Item enhancement guide says it does work better, even bugged, at high avoidance/mitigation levels

So..
1) Does the math work out to make it better?
(answered) -- at 1% it does compete with armor at the top end
2) Anyone else want this meta? (Guess that depends on 1)
3) Is it possible so good that they can't change it?
(Answered) -- Yes, 5% might be too good.

So I guess that kills this thread >.> they cant do 5% anyways, and 1% still provides enough benefit to be competitive top-end..
Last edited by Sur-Pseudo on Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sur-Pseudo

Re: Eternal Shadowspirit Meta -- Who wants it?

Postby Koatanga » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:14 pm

The tooltip is incorrect. It is a 1% increase in block value, not a 5% increase.

That makes it far less attractive, IMHO. I use it only because my JC learned it before I knew about the incorrect tooltip, so I have a stock of them.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby lythac » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:16 pm

[Derivation] Armor/Mastery/Avoidance Calculations - V. Meta Gem Comparison

1)
Theck wrote:This might explain why the block meta is still "bugged," by the way. At 5% it is phenomenally good, at 1% it's right on par with the Armor meta. It may not be "bugged" at all - this might be an intentional balancing change they decided to make during beta, and they just never updated the tooltip

2) I don't if it stays at 1%.

3) See above quote.

You say that it will win out compared to armor when your armor increases. This isn't the case, the average TTL increases linearly with armor. Even though the amount of % reduction you get suffers DR armor doesn't - 1% extra armor at 50% is a 2% damage reduction, 0.5% extra armor at 75% is also a 2% damage reduction.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby RedAces » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:06 pm

hey,

A blue poster said that the "5% block chance" is a tooltip bug and it's supposed to be 1%. With this in mind I changed to the armor meta :/

Bye, RedAces.
RedAces

Postby xstratax » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:04 pm

http://www.wowhead.com/item=52293#comments:id=1267678

Provided Nicefig's math is correct, ESD beats ASD as long as your chance to Block is higher than your chance to be Hit.
xstratax
Maintankadonor

Postby Ardrhyst » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:04 pm

Remember, though, that Austere Shadowspirit's mitigation is always there, but Eternal Shadowspirit's benefit is only there when you can block. Considering that they're close, I think I'll personally stick with the armor simply because I'll never be without it.
Biggest Game Hunter, as well as collector of pets and mounts. Currently hunting paladins' former glory.
Ardrhyst
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:56 am

Ardrhyst wrote:Remember, though, that Austere Shadowspirit's mitigation is always there, but Eternal Shadowspirit's benefit is only there when you can block. Considering that they're close, I think I'll personally stick with the armor simply because I'll never be without it.

Austere's mitigation is always there when you get hit. Eternal's benefit is greater when you block.

If you block more often than you get hit, then the damage reduction from ESD outweighs the mitigations from the ASD, is the argument. Or, at least, is competitive.

Given I'm missing two major bits of armor from into T11 content and still at 90% CTC unbuffed, ESD looks pretty attractive, and I used to be an armor stacker (around 45k at the end of WLK).
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Arizair » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:41 am

ASD is still there with the block too... block's don't take away their reduction while ignoring armor... though if that wowhead post's math is correct, most people will have 45-55% block chance in mostly epic pieces unless they grabbed every non-mastery piece, which makes it likely that chance to block is greater than change to be hit (i think im at around 68% chance to avoid/block and i'm far from being the highest on the gear meter)
Arizair

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice