Remove Advertisements

So Thirsty! Wheres My Mana Going!?

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

So Thirsty! Wheres My Mana Going!?

Postby Carbonite » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:24 am

With the new changes that happened when Cata was being released it seemed as though I had unlimited mana.... now I seem to kill 1-2 mobs and my entire mana pool is gone!

I am using this as my Rotation

Pull mob with Avenger's Shield, Hotr, Holy Wrath, Hotr, Judgement, Hotr, Sotr and Repeat.

I always have Seal Of Truth Up, Righteous Fury, and Blessing Of Might.

Am I doing something wrong here? I am constantly running out of Mana! Divine Plea seems to barely do anything as well....

Thanks In Advance
Carbonite http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/e ... ite/simple
Carbonite

Re: So Thirsty! Wheres My Mana Going!?

Postby Barathorn » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:30 am

Hmmm, I have only noticed a couple of fights in normals when I was close to OOM and the heroics I have been in I have always had at least 33%-50% mana at the end of each pull as a minimum.

Holy Wrath might be the mana hog here, I also use Seal of Insight for the majority of Tanking encounters currently that I have experianced.

I suspect its Holy Wrath sucking you dry.

Barathorn
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Njall » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:36 am

Too many Avenger's Shield proccs can really cut into the supply too. Keep that Judgment up at all times. Are you ever consecrating? And yes, HW is a mana hog. I use it frequently too but I noticed I had more mana to spare when I removed a point from Grand Crusader to put into GBtL.
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Carbonite » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:45 am

Seal Of Insight? Hmmm Are alot of people using this over Seal of Truth?

I consencrate only when there are large pulls and I lose aggro on a few of them...

Im using the 0/34/7 build currently....

So I should stop using Wrath as much?
Carbonite

Postby Barathorn » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:48 am

I don't think threat is a huge issue from the 5 mans I have experianced. Raiding may be different but I am using SoI and am having little if any issues with threat currently vs DPS in pre raiding gearing [rough ilevel 330-335] doing reasonable DPS.

What content are you finding the mana an issue in? 5 mans, Heroics or Raids?
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Carbonite » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:54 am

5 Mans, Heroics and just questing... pull 1-2 mobs and mana is empty...
Carbonite

Postby Incite. » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:11 am

I had this problem when I first got into Cata heroics and even normals. It's gotten a lot better with gear it seems because I don't see it anymore. I did stop using Consecration except for the occasional oh crap moments. I use Holy Wrath every time it's up as well as Avengers Shield.
Incite.

Postby Barathorn » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:13 am

Carbonite wrote:5 Mans, Heroics and just questing... pull 1-2 mobs and mana is empty...

I only use HW as a positioning tool for Mobs to stun them where I want them and to grab some initial threat on everything, much as Warriors use Shockwave. I don't think you need to use it when questing unless you overpull and it saves you from dying.

Reduce your HW usage and problem solved I think.

Barathorn

Postby sculder » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:34 am

Also hammer does cost more mana than CS (12% vs 10%, but it's still more!). The biggest thing you can do is not consecrate and not HW, but if that's still not working then you probably have to prioritize judgement a lot more in your rotation.
sculder

Postby Carbonite » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:35 am

I will give it a shot guys! Less HW! I will also try the insight seal... I will post my findings...

-Carb
Carbonite

Postby inthedrops » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:20 am

HotR is a mana hog. Don't use it unless you really need to.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Carbonite » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:26 am

Really? Dont use HoTR? I use this on every pull as it generates my Holy Power.... Should I use CS instead? My understanding was that HoTR was better for AOE which is 3 and above mobs in a pull....

Everyone?
Carbonite

Postby inthedrops » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:41 am

I'm simply suggesting that you don't use it JUST BECAUSE you have 3 or more mobs up.

An extra 2% might not feel like much, but that's 2% every 3 seconds. 21 seconds into a fight you'd have used 7 * 2% more mana which is a LOT.

Here's an example, on a pull I might use HotR twice in an AoE situation to ensure I have threat on everything. But after that I spend more time tab targeting and using CS even though I'm tanking a lot of mobs.

Seal of Insight does work wonders btw. There's nothing wrong with using it. And considering Holy Wrath's threat isn't all that fantastic, it's a decent ability to drop from your rotatoin.

Basically, this goes back to the same advice in WotlK, which is just because you have a bunch of mobs still alive doesn't mean you have to blow your wad 100% of the time. You can stop using abilities and regen some mana when threat is good.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby econ21 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:34 am

Maybe it's a typo, but in the OP, you don't mention starting with judgement. I would recommend that as your opening move (preceded by exorcism if you like). My understanding is that judgement is how we get our mana back these days: Judgement of the Wise is a passive talent that gives us 30% of mana back over 10 seconds. From your opening rotation, you may be 10 seconds into combat before you have judgement up and are thus about a 1/3 lower on mana than you should be. When I am losing mana, it is often in AOE type situations where I have let judgement fall off in favour of spamming AOE moves. I also like to delay my opening AS a bit (ie after judgement) in the hope that the mobs will bunch up as they approach, so I will get the full bounce.

Normally, I don't have mana problems but I do recall encountering them a fair bit in Cata five man trash fights when I still used Seal of Truth exclusively. I even remember drinking once or twice. Nowadays, I just switch to seal of insight and get topped up very quickly in that situation. I can even use consecration without worry, despite dropping the Hallowed Ground talents - which is a surprise to me. In most fights, I tend to start with Seal of Truth and switch to Insight once threat is established but my health or mana bars are struggling. If a 5-man run is going well - dps not grabbing aggro - I may just use Seal of Insight until the end. My impression is that healers need the help and every little bit of health and mana is appreciated. I am starting to re-evaluate using the Glyph of Seal of Truth, as I just don't seem to use the Seal often enough to justify it.
econ21

Postby Carbonite » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:36 am

Great Advice! Ill give it a whirl
Carbonite

Next

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice