Remove Advertisements

What to buy first with Valor Points?

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

What to buy first with Valor Points?

Postby Sophotrates » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:12 pm

Hey,

I couldn't find anything on this, sorry if I missed it.

I'm fairly casual raiding (done 2 raids so far with 1 boss kill in each) so Valor Points come in slowly with only the daily heroic. I got around 1200 right now and was wondering for what item I should go. If I take the wrong item, I'm set back for 1-3 weeks so I don't want to make a mistake.
I've narrowed the list down to 4 items but can't really choose. Should I go for the BiS (?) relic, the ring or wait and take the Tier gloves, chest or legs? Or did I miss an awesome item?

EDIT: in all the 5 (6) slots I got 346 ilvl heroic drops atm.

Cheers :)
Sophotrates

Re: What to buy first with Valor Points?

Postby inthedrops » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:14 pm

Tough question at your pace. I would just try to be patient as best you can and hold off on spending anything considering your incoming rate.

I personally ended up getting the chest first. And that was based on a couple of things:

1) I had very good Hands.
2) I had decent Legs.
3) I didn't see any better chest options.

Personally I find the Ring and Relic to be crap for upgrades compared to what can drop in raids. So I'll probably be getting those last. Looks like legs are next for me most likely.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby theothersteve7 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:39 pm

I got the Relic, but I was replacing (my last) green. The chestpiece seems to be our strongest tier piece overall, being avoidance/mastery and having an enormous budget (being a chest). I'd say those are your strongest choices.
Moo.
theothersteve7

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:57 pm

My order for the first few bits are Relic, Ring, Chest, then another tier piece.

I don't recall seeing a relic in drop tables. I'm likely to use the VP relic and VP ring until the next tier; some napkin math suggested the ring was a more efficient 2nd purchase, although relic -> chest is perfectly fine as well.

My reasoning is that smaller, more frequent incremental tank upgrades will help speed the VP income rate faster than sitting on them until a single large purchase (e.g., chest). YMMV.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby inthedrops » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:49 pm

I was being lazy. Relic upgrade compared to heroic versions isn't worth the points to me up front. I'd rather get some other items a week or so earlier.

It's possible that I may pick up the ring next, it's either that or legs I think.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Digren » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:19 pm

Your armory link is broken so I can't see what you are upgrading from. If you haven't bought one of the inscription librams, though, you are probably still using a green piece. I'd replace that first.

Otherwise, I'd save up for a tier piece, as I like to knock out the best, most expensive pieces first rather than save them until the end.
Digren

Postby Ezharon » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:46 pm

fuzzygeek wrote:My order for the first few bits are Relic, Ring, Chest, then another tier piece.

My reasoning is that smaller, more frequent incremental tank upgrades will help speed the VP income rate faster than sitting on them until a single large purchase (e.g., chest). YMMV.

I'm following the same reasoning and my order will be ring tomorrow then relic and chest. Then maybe gloves or legs (until then I'm hopping that Argaloth will be nice with me).
Loatr Tankadin since patch 1.9
Ezharon

Postby Sophotrates » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:51 am

Cheers for the replies.

I'm currently using the blue 346 ilvl libram from Slabhide in Stonecore HC.
My armory link is http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/b ... a/advanced

I think I'll wait for the chest, then go for the ring and libram. That is, if I can resist the temptation of buying the ring now ;)

Happy New Year!
Sophotrates

Postby Fiaraa » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:27 am

I'm gunna go for the chest. But it's sooooooo long away. I'm not raiding yet. =(
Fiaraa

Postby Chasey » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:01 am

the chest is just too damn nice! not really close to it yet but that or the ring
Chasey

Postby mosa » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:35 am

I couldn't get the tanking Relic to drop from Stonecore and I knew the VP relic was BIS so I bought that first. I'll be buying the chest tonight as my first T11 purchase... I was also a lucky SOB and got the hands from BH, can't wait for that 2 piece bonus.
mosa

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice