Remove Advertisements

Failsafe gearing guide, 4.3

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: Failsafe gearing guide

Postby yappo » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:26 pm

Minor edits made to take into account the good advice given in this thread.
yappo

Postby nalenb » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:03 pm

First, thanks for putting this together, it's very useful.

I ran my dailies today and got the following:

Wildhammer - 5 dailies - 1,553 rep - 70g 62s
Therazane - 7 dailies - 2,128 rep - 79g 96s
Ramkahen - 2 dailies - 460 rep - 18g 31s
Baradin's Wardens - 6 dailies - 1,725 rep - 99g 24s

For a total of 268g 13s per day, not including sale of any loot or repairs.

(I'm a human in a level 4 guild, so I'm getting the 5% rep guild bonus)
Shiblon - Anvilmar
nalenb

Postby yappo » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:12 pm

Thanks for the data on rep.

In all likelyhood I'll have to make some rather horrid changes to the list. I'm beginning to suspect that dps-gear with good chunks of mastery might be better tanking items than corresponding tanking gear with dodge/parry and zero mastery.

Hypothetical example: 100 mastery and 100 haste (the worst possible dps-stat for us) actually looks better to me than 100 dodge and 100 parry, despite the latter screaming: I'm a dedicated piece of tanking gear!

Before I start juggling around too much with strange equipment I'll need to verify those suspicions.
yappo

Postby econ21 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:28 am

79.68 mastery rating gives 1% block
For me, around 206 dodge rating gives 1% dodge.
So gear with mastery plus something reforgeable will certainly get you further towards the block cap than pure avoidance gear.

However, in terms of overall damage reduction, I think dps gear with mastery is only more attractive (for survivability) if it comes with agility rather than strength.

A unit of dodge gives me 0.004854 (i.e. 1/206) damage reduction.
A unit of mastery rating gives 0.00502 (0.4/79.68)

These differences seem quite small - mastery is not 42% better than avoidance. However, given that agility gives 60% dodge whereas strength gives only 25% parry, it could be that mastery plus agility gear is better for damage reduction than avoidance gear (the Earthen ring epic ring has been cited as such a case).
econ21

Postby Barathorn » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:43 am

I cannot see a huge amount of plate items with agility on them being available in honesty. I think we are probably only going to be looking at rings and trinkets with regard to agility.

Barathorn
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby yappo » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:51 pm

Edited and added commentary to the links.
yappo

Postby nalenb » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:42 am

In your description of the epic crafted chest you say not to buy it because of the lack of sockets. The patch notes for 4.0.6 say:

"A socket has been added to all crafted epic armor pieces that did not already have one."

http://www.wowhead.com/patchnotes=4.0.6-ptr

Not sure if this will come to pass or when 4.0.6 will go live, but I thought I'd add that. (mostly cause I'm wearing that chest and hoping it adds sockets).
Shiblon - Anvilmar
nalenb

Postby yappo » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:14 am

nalenb wrote:In your description of the epic crafted chest you say not to buy it because of the lack of sockets. The patch notes for 4.0.6 say:

"A socket has been added to all crafted epic armor pieces that did not already have one."

http://www.wowhead.com/patchnotes=4.0.6-ptr

Not sure if this will come to pass or when 4.0.6 will go live, but I thought I'd add that. (mostly cause I'm wearing that chest and hoping it adds sockets).

I aim at keeping this list up-to-date, so when I can see the 4.0.6 items on live I'll change my recommendations accordingly. However, I won't change them based on premonitions :D

Personally I hope the socketing will make the crafted chest better than the blue. I have mats waiting for that to happen ;)
yappo

Postby thayne183 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:23 pm

First off, thanks for the great guide!

This is as much a question as a possible item to mention for an upgrade that (I think )

1) Is better than the earthen ring legs and could save one the JP's to spend on other stuff.
2) comes from a heroic that's so easy and fast, I feel its kinda between reg and heroic.

Legguards of Winnowing Windhttp://www.wowhead.com/item=56367

These legs dropped so much for my guild I eventually won one greeding and was going to sell then when noticed all the mastery (even the socket bonus is mastery), so after reforging the crit to Dodge they seemed far superior to my Earthen ring rep pants.

I kinda consider heroic VP the easiest of heroics so I thought it might have a place for small guilds not fully random heroic ready but fully able to finish the easiest one (if that makes any sense haha) I know for several weeks random heroics for VP's just were not an option for me as I only run with guildies and they were a bit behind getting geared.

-cheers
thayne183

Postby yappo » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:36 am

thayne183 wrote:1) Is better than the earthen ring legs and could save one the JP's to spend on other stuff.
2) comes from a heroic that's so easy and fast, I feel its kinda between reg and heroic.

Legguards of Winnowing Windhttp://www.wowhead.com/item=56367

While there are several drops from heroic 5-mans which are better than those listed here, they all share one component -- they're drops. This list consists exclusively of gear that you're 100% guaranteed to get.
yappo

Postby yappo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:50 am

Edited the list to acknowledge that the 4.0.6 changes made the crafted tanking chest a little less awful, and outright interesting for fights where you depend on generating Holy Power.

Also noted that the crafted tanking belt went from good to better.
yappo

Postby Skye1013 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:02 am

I realize it's in direct competition with the trinkets, but Hellscream's Reach now has a 1h Str weapon (I can't remember the name of it off hand or I'd give the link.) Not sure how good that would be, but it's another option. Also there are now agi/str trinkets from alch. Obviously threat isn't a huge issue, but the agi might be useful for dodge.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby yappo » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:17 am

Skye1013 wrote:I realize it's in direct competition with the trinkets, but Hellscream's Reach now has a 1h Str weapon (I can't remember the name of it off hand or I'd give the link.) Not sure how good that would be, but it's another option. Also there are now agi/str trinkets from alch. Obviously threat isn't a huge issue, but the agi might be useful for dodge.

I'll check that weapon.
I'm not listing BoP items from professions (as you need to be, for example, an alchemist to get them).
yappo

Postby yappo » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:47 am

Added the Tol Barad weapon to the list. Marked it as low priority as five man heroics simply rain weapons over people. However, the TB weapon is indeed a failsafe solution for the hysterically unlucky.
yappo

Postby econ21 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:21 am

It might be worth adding an AH "watch list" for BoE epics:

[Don Rodrigo's Fabulous Necklace] : BoE Dungeon Drop
[Heaving Plates of Protection] : The Bastion of Twilight (Normal) BoE Raid Drop
[Pauldrons of Edward the Odd] : BoE World Drop
[Icebone Hauberk] : BoE Dungeon Drop
[Soul Blade]
[Blockade's Lost Shield] : BoE

They won't come cheap, but I think a failsafe guide is particularly useful for people - perhaps like ourselves - who struggle to get raid drops and may be willing and able to fork out where possible to compensate. I list them because, with the exception of the hauberk, they are very nice items that you won't want to replace in a hurry.
econ21

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice