Best professions

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Best professions

Postby Tankadon » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:36 am

I currently have Blacksmithing and Jewelcrafting, and it seems that JC is still a hands-down favorite as far as a good profession. Blacksmithing on the other hand hasn't changed at all tanking wise since you still get the glove/wrist socket that you did in Wrath. So I was curious if dropping BS for something else like Eng would be a good idea.

Please respond with your answer, as well as your professions and why they are as such.

Thanks.
Tankadon

Re: Best professions

Postby Digren » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:51 am

That glove/wrist socket now holds the new gems, making them just as good as JC. Dropping a profession to chase marginal benefit isn't worth it.

I'm an engineer because I like clickies! I picked it up in December 2004 and have stuck with it through good times and bad. My other profession is mining, which I pretty much only use in the first few weeks after an expansion comes out, and then to smelt to give me the flexibility to buy ore or bars for best price. Of course it gives me the same stamina benefit as JC or BS would, so I don't lose anything there.
Digren

Postby Jaitee » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:19 pm

JC bs is actually a good combo because you get the most customization out of your profession bonus with all the different gem types you can get your profession bonus as exactly what you need!

another advantage of it a mate who is a bs/jc told em about is that he can put his jc gems into his socket bracer socket hiw belt buckle and the other usually into his pants this means that if hes got 1 and a half sets of tank gear ie a EH and a collection of avoidance/threat etc peices he can swap them around without ever worrying about having more then 3 jc only gems

but i must say engineering is the funnest profession just wish we still and rocket boots that go on our boots! and that didnt malfunction constantly!
Jaitee

Postby Lightknight » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:32 am

Do not drop BS for Eng. I read that the 2nd backfire of the plasma shield causes an unavoidable 5 second stun.

You can't use it in heroics due to the ae taunt and you can't use it in raids due to the 5 second stun. So the only useable effect of engineering is the on-use 1500 armor enchant on the gloves.

In my eyes engeneering is now worthless. I will drop it for leatherworking or blacksmithing.
Lightknight / EU / Nera'thor
Lightknight

Postby Njall » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:45 am

But hey, the High-Powered Bolt Gun is always a crowd-pleaser. A single shot of 8500 ranged damage off the GCD is always nice when you're tanking. I think I've said it before: Cold. Dead. Hands.
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Zobel » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:00 am

Zobel

Postby Njall » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:06 am

(hugz Zobel)

That just made my whole day. But hey, I admit I am hardly rational about engineering (or mining). That said, my DK tank is an alchemist/JC... because it was my crafting mule. The druid's a skinner/herbalist, god help us, and now a furball.

there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Tankadon » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:54 am

Alright, thanks everyone for your responses. I suppose i'll keep the BS, the only reason i was thinking about eng was for the goggles and i've noticed it's not really worth it through your guys' responses.
Tankadon

Postby polonadis » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:42 am

best professions as of now are Alchemy (trinket) and Leatherworking (legs and wrist enchant)
polonadis

Postby Barathorn » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:50 am

polonadis wrote:best professions as of now are Alchemy (trinket) and Leatherworking (legs and wrist enchant)

Until the next tier of items is released.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby polonadis » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:52 pm

Barathorn wrote:
polonadis wrote:best professions as of now are Alchemy (trinket) and Leatherworking (legs and wrist enchant)

... at which point they will be at least equally good as any other profession (barring 3 extra stamina from JC and assuming the Alch trinket won't be upgraded) + longer flasks
polonadis

Postby Barathorn » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:00 am

polonadis wrote:
Barathorn wrote:

... at which point they will be at least equally good as any other profession (barring 3 extra stamina from JC and assuming the Alch trinket won't be upgraded) + longer flasks

Possibly but until we see what is released in the next tier we won't know for sure. For me JC remains a strong choice. I personally have engineering and alchemy and I am very happy with the starting 359 gear available from those.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby polonadis » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:17 pm

I'm not saying other professions are bad or that everyone else should immediately change to lw/alch.

All I'm saying is that at this moment in time it's the best combination.
polonadis

Postby Njall » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:20 pm

And we're just saying it changes. It has in the past. It will change in the future.

there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Griffonheart » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:40 pm

Currently Mining adds 120 stam at the highest skill level. With JC you get 123 stam out of three Chimera's Eyes (over the blue Solid). Ratio wise the benefit lessens when the epic gems come out. I hope they buff Chimera's Eyes when that happens. I gave up mining long ago to pursuit max tanking power, would hate to see the advantage lost so easily to a harvesting profession.

Edit: Bah, the signature is so outdated.
True Voyage is Return

Griffonheart

Next

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice