Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: Petrus' Cataclysm Gear List

Postby Petrus » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:06 pm

Updated.

Only need to know drop locations for:

Rage of Ages - neck
Pauldrons of the Apocalypse - shoulders
Battleplate of the Apocalypse - chest

Let me know if there's anything more to fix or if anything is missing!
Petrus
Maintankadonor

Postby Njall » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:53 pm

Rage of Ages - neck

Nefarion

Pauldrons of the Apocalypse - shoulders

Nefarion

Battleplate of the Apocalypse - chest

... is probably taken from Nefarion's cooling corpse too.
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Petrus » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:54 pm

Really? That's somewhat surprising - I'd expect at least both apocalypse pieces to be from Bastion of Twilight :P
Petrus
Maintankadonor

Postby Amirya » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:59 pm

Helm of Setesh is linked to Reinforced Sapphirium Faceguard

Quest linked to Ramkahen Front Boots is for Finish Nemesis
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Njall » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:24 am

Petrus wrote:Really? That's somewhat surprising - I'd expect at least both apocalypse pieces to be from Bastion of Twilight :P

Yeah. Well, MMO may have it borked. I never got that far in the beta. Sadly, there seem to be no decent loot lists on Wowpedia yet for the raids.
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby econ21 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:50 am

The trinket Tia's grace dropped for me last night - +285 mastery; chance to gain 34 agility on each attack, stacking to 10 and lasting 15 seconds. I guess it's not designed for tanks, but mastery is good for us and agility is almost as much avoidance as dodge. It might be worth adding to the list.

EDIT: while soloing last night, it seemed to be up with 10 stacks (340 agility) every time I looked.
Last edited by econ21 on Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econ21

Postby yappo » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:35 pm

The third Tol Barad PvP trinket should also be listed as a perfectly valid tank trinket. I'm unclear as to where. Same mastery as the listed two, but with a solid 1700 (or something) agility 20 second on-use, two minutes cooldown. While agility is 60% (Theck could correct me on this) dodge, we're still talking four digit dodge-rating at your fingertips.

I guess mitigation/avoidance would be the classification.
yappo

Postby Petrus » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:09 am

I'll consider adding the agi-related trinkets in my next pass through. I'd avoided them before specifically because of the Agi, but if general consensus is that they're worth it (I personally still lean towards not including them), I'd probably stick them in the list. As I said, though, I don't think I'd personally use any of the agi stuff.

Rage of Ages is from Nefarian and Battleplate of the Apocalypse is from Cho'gall, so we're still missing the drop location of Pauldrons of the Apocalypse.
Petrus
Maintankadonor

Postby inthedrops » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:05 pm

It appears we are in direct competition with dual wielding frost DK's for the Soul Blade. It's unfortunate because they will want two of them. Probably have to focus on picking up the other weapon until your DK's are done.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Petrus » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:24 pm

Indeed, there's only one other Strength 1H: a sword from Magmaw in BWD. Thus, expect those DW/Strength DPSers to want Soul Blade as well. Kind of a sparse loot table for them at the moment.
Petrus
Maintankadonor

Postby theckhd » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:33 pm

We actually sold our first Soul Blade for 100k the first week of raiding. Both of the tanks already had Cookie's, and we decided that the repair gold was a better investment.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Xequecal » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:17 am

I would strongly suggest putting several pieces of DPS gear into this list, as many are excellent for tanking. Don Rodrigo's Necklace (world drop) is IMHO the BiS tank neck before heroic modes, as no neck has more mastery than it. Elementium Deathplate is clearly a better tank BP than Hardened Elementium Hauberk. Beech Green Belt is arguably a better tank belt than the JP vendor belt, and is definitely a better tank belt than any of the other 346 options. I would also say Signet of the Elder Council is the second-best pre-heroic tank ring, leaving it also BiS. Finally, the plate DPS legs off the last boss of Vortex Pinnacle are also perfectly acceptable tank gear, comparable to the JP vendor tank legs.
Xequecal

Postby Petrus » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:00 pm

I'll consider it but I've generally stayed away from putting any outwardly DPS-oriented pieces on the list save for trinkets, and only one of those (Crushing Weight) has any non-tank/pure-dps stat on it (the haste proc). This is for tanking gear, and while some DPS gear may be useful as tanking gear because of mastery, I somehow feel that adding it and advocating its widespread use by tanks would be a bit irresponsible. It's one thing to get hit and expertise to smooth out our threat, but it's another entirely to get stats such as crit or haste that have minimal value to us. While the DPS pieces may have a lot of stamina and mastery, that's not all we need as tanks.
Petrus
Maintankadonor

Postby inthedrops » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:57 pm

I realize this isn't a Democracy, and it's Petrus thread to do what he/she wants. But you've done a great job keeping the page simple and I like it exactly how it is. I do not wish to see any DPS gear.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Petrus » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:50 pm

inthedrops wrote:I realize this isn't a Democracy, and it's Petrus thread to do what he/she wants. But you've done a great job keeping the page simple and I like it exactly how it is. I do not wish to see any DPS gear.

Two things:

1. For reference, I am a "he" as my real name (Peter) isn't that far off of my in-game name (Petrus). I took a lot of Latin IRL so I often respond to either name, both in-game and out. My former Latin teacher still uses them interchangeably when I go and visit (though usually in the vocative form "Petre").
2. I should have a new list up by next Tuesday with any fixes/new drop locations in place. I decided I'm not going to include what I call "blatantly" DPS pieces, i.e. ones with crit or haste on them. Just exp/hit/mastery/dodge/parry.
Petrus
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice