Remove Advertisements

Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Postby Thels » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:30 am

Has anyone checked to see the viability of this trinket?

http://www.wowhead.com/item=47735

Given, it's a 245 item, and shouldn't be viable anymore, but when I check the details:

Without the trinket I have 40245 armor. That gives me 60.65% DR.
With the trinket I have 42037 armor. That gives me 61.72% DR.

If a boss hits me for 100000, then without the trinket on, I take 39350 damage.
If I put my trinket back on, that same hit deals me 38280 damage, meaning the trinket prevented 1070 damage.

1070 damage is 2.72% of 39350 damage. That means that by equipping this trinket, I take 2.72% less physical damage than when I would not be wearing the trinket. I could be mistaken here, but that feels awfully powerful for a trinket from a previous expansion.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby vexryn » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:19 am

Thels wrote:Has anyone checked to see the viability of this trinket?

Given, it's a 245 item, and shouldn't be viable anymore, but when I check the details:

Without the trinket I have 40245 armor. That gives me 60.65% DR.
With the trinket I have 42037 armor. That gives me 61.72% DR.

If a boss hits me for 100000, then without the trinket on, I take 39350 damage.
If I put my trinket back on, that same hit deals me 38280 damage, meaning the trinket prevented 1070 damage.

1070 damage is 2.72% of 39350 damage. That means that by equipping this trinket, I take 2.72% less physical damage than when I would not be wearing the trinket. I could be mistaken here, but that feels awfully powerful for a trinket from a previous expansion.

Thels,
Indeed, there's a strange disparity of trinkets right now, because Blizzard nerfed the amount of bonus armor itemized to current Cataclysm gear, but did not go back to do so for prior gear.

Thus, you get armor trinkets in current content Heart of Thunder and Bedrock Talisman that seem quite radically inferior to Unidentifiable Organ or Petrified Twilight Scale.

In point of fact, I have no intention of buying the Valor Points tanking trinket because of this; the "old" Halion trinket (even regular, but certainly heroic) appears to be far superior.
vexryn
Maintankadonor

Postby Thels » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:26 am

Myeah, unfortunately I don't have either of those trinkets, since I stopped playing a little after we downed LK on normal and came back for cataclysm.

I would prefer these trinkets over stamina trinkets, since they're only slightly inferior on EH compared to Cataclysm stamina trinkets, but I doubt it would be easy to get a group going for them. Well, maybe the organ, since it's only 10 man, but it's still 7 bosses deep into the instance. At least the rest can be run through on normal.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby vexryn » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:14 pm

Thels wrote:Myeah, unfortunately I don't have either of those trinkets, since I stopped playing a little after we downed LK on normal and came back for cataclysm.

I would prefer these trinkets over stamina trinkets, since they're only slightly inferior on EH compared to Cataclysm stamina trinkets, but I doubt it would be easy to get a group going for them. Well, maybe the organ, since it's only 10 man, but it's still 7 bosses deep into the instance. At least the rest can be run through on normal.

The Halion trinket would by far be the easiest to farm. 25% drop rate (he always drops one of the four trinkets), and there's some trash, but to say the least it's far less than doing 7 ICC bosses.

Granted, the trinket only drops on 25-man, but I suspect you could farm it on regular mode at least with far fewer.
vexryn
Maintankadonor

Postby Thels » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:21 pm

I've never done the instance in the first place, though I did read up on some tactics. I guess I'll see about any reports of doing it HC with lvl 85's only.

Thanks for the input. :)
ImageImage
Thels

Postby lythac » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:29 pm

Unidentifiable Organ

Hmm, for WoTLK the sole reason for taking this was the armor - the proc was unreliable to stack with our levels of avoidance. Given lower levels of avoidance it should stack faster and we should retain the stack easier.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby econ21 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:59 pm

Thels wrote:Has anyone checked to see the viability of this trinket?

I never liked that trinket in wotlk, but I agree it does start to look interesting given your damage reduction numbers. Theckhd has computed the equivalence between mastery and armor:

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ ... ic#p632421

He finds 7 armour is equivalent to 1 point of mastery rating. Given the amount of mastery on the 359 Tol Barad trinkets, they look to be superior. For example, this one:

http://www.wowhead.com/item=62468

seems to give more passive DR and higher on use avoidance (with agility worth about 60% dodge). But I guess you'd expect 114 item levels to be better.
econ21

Postby Thels » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:15 pm

That would mean the HC RS trinket would still be more useful than the Baradin's Wardens trinket?

Well, the base stat, at least. I'm not referring to the proc/on use effect.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby theckhd » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:48 am

I would still use the mastery trinket. The armor trinket might give you slightly higher average damage reduction, but the mastery trinket will do a far better job of smoothing out your damage intake, and has a more powerful clicky effect.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby vexryn » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:22 pm

theckhd wrote:...and has a more powerful clicky effect.

Oh Theck, I love it when you bring the technical talk to my threads! :)

In all seriousness, I'm finding myself increasingly impressed with both of the Tol Barad trinkets. The on-use agility (quasi-dodge!) trinket is nice for a few fights, and I'm loving the mastery + on-use resistance trinket right now working on Nefarian.

Hrm, which reminds me, I think I need to add the on-use-agi trinket to my gear list here. When I posted it originally I had excluded agility gear, but in practice I would absolutely consider this one viable (along with the mastery/stacking-agility trinket that drops from Siamat in Lost City {if I recall correctly}).

More updates coming soon!
vexryn
Maintankadonor

Postby yappo » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:26 pm

vexryn wrote:
Hrm, which reminds me, I think I need to add the on-use-agi trinket to my gear list here. When I posted it originally I had excluded agility gear, but in practice I would absolutely consider this one viable (along with the mastery/stacking-agility trinket that drops from Siamat in Lost City {if I recall correctly}).

Then you should probably add the epic Earthen Ring (I think it's that faction) agility dps-ring as well. It's about as good a tank-ring as anything blue 346 tanking-itemized you can get.
yappo

Postby vexryn » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:32 pm

yappo wrote:
vexryn wrote:

Then you should probably add the epic Earthen Ring (I think it's that faction) agility dps-ring as well. It's about as good a tank-ring as anything blue 346 tanking-itemized you can get.

Notwithstanding the question of agility in particular, I'm still somewhat averse to listing any/all agility gear (or agi/mastery) gear on the list; I'm still trying to not list any direct dps gear (which basically means something with haste or crit).

But I may give a special mention to that ring, at least in the gear-up discussion, as I do think it's a somewhat interesting option specifically for the just-getting-geared-up tank depending on the timing of when they start raids, what's dropping for them, etc.
vexryn
Maintankadonor

Postby yappo » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:04 pm

Noticed you have Carrier Wave Pendant (necklace) listed as unknown as far as drop-location goes. BRC, Ascendant Lord Obsidius.
yappo

Postby Bashe » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:07 am

Just popped in to point out Tia's Grace (http://www.wowhead.com/item=56394) which for some reason almost no one mentions in their gearing lists. The agi stacks to 340 which pretty much 1% of dodge on my level of DR.
Bashe

Postby vexryn » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:52 am

yappo wrote:Noticed you have Carrier Wave Pendant (necklace) listed as unknown as far as drop-location goes. BRC, Ascendant Lord Obsidius.

Fixed. Thanks.

Bashe wrote:Just popped in to point out Tia's Grace (http://www.wowhead.com/item=56394) which for some reason almost no one mentions in their gearing lists. The agi stacks to 340 which pretty much 1% of dodge on my level of DR.

Per prior discussion in the thread, I am adding this trinket, and the Tol Barad trinket with Mastery + On-Use Agility. Now on the list.
vexryn
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice