Remove Advertisements

Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Postby Bashe » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:42 am

Really awesome work

would just like to point out that the engineer's Quickflip Deflection Plates can in fact be applied alongside another enchant.
Bashe

Postby vexryn » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:41 am

Lots of new updates added. All discovered epic World drops. All raid drop locations added. Cross-reference list now includes stand-alone lists for gear sorted by raid, and a separate list for all BoE gear you might find on the AH, from blues to epic world drops to raid BoE epics! :)
vexryn
Maintankadonor

Postby vexryn » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:50 am

Bashe wrote:Really awesome work

would just like to point out that the engineer's Quickflip Deflection Plates can in fact be applied alongside another enchant.

Thanks for letting me know. Fixed in the enchant list! :)
vexryn
Maintankadonor

Postby econ21 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:16 am

Very nice work - you might add in the Tol Barad rep weapon, the only 346 weapon that is not a drop, and put in health warning about the BS chest - it is inferior to the JP one:

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ ... 15#p633193
econ21

Postby vexryn » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:28 am

econ21 wrote:Very nice work - you might add in the Tol Barad rep weapon, the only 346 weapon that is not a drop, and put in health warning about the BS chest - it is inferior to the JP one:

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ ... 15#p633193

As for the Tol Barad weapon, I presume you mean Ravening Slicer? I haven't actually put any Agi 1H weapons on the list yet. I do think there have been some interesting points made about the options for an Agi weapon, but I'll probably aim to give these agi weapons a separate place on the list.

As for the BS chest versus the JP one... I'm actually getting ready to do a fairly substantive rewrite to the guide now that I've gone through the gear-up process myself, and see the stats on items in much more detail (as well as experiencing how unnecessary it is to gear for threat now, even less important than the reduced credit I was already giving it!). The updated guide will shift emphasis on which epics you push for early, including notably the JP versus crafted chest, as well as things like the crafted belt versus the Omnotron drop in BWD.
vexryn
Maintankadonor

Postby Rhiannon » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:47 pm

Signet of the Elder Council, with the haste reforged to something more useful, is a superior survival option to most (all?) of the 346 rings due to the higher avoidance afforded by agility.

The random enchant 359 1h sword will drop from Al'Akir normal.
Rhiannon

Postby superphil89 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:59 pm

Hello, first must say brilliant post and has helped me a lot.

One thing I need to ask is what I should be trying to stack on my gear (dodge, parry mastery, hit, expertise). And what are the cap limits?

For example for fury warrior it is usually noted to gear in Hit(till 8%) > Expertise(till 26) > Strength > Hit(till 27%)> Haste(till rage gain is consistent)> Crit > Mastery > Haste.

At the moment I have 13.08 dodge, 12.19 parry, 3 expertise, 11.07 mastery and 6.39 hit..

What would you suggest that I start off trying to cap first as a tank (reforge, gemming etc)

Thanks for any feedback
superphil89

Postby hrbngr » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:25 pm

superphil,

there are other posts you can research here, but for me, im prioritizing master>parry>dodge, hit~5% so that u have dont miss on L85 trash mobs, and stacks of vengeance will help w/L87+bosses for threat. there are currently no diminishing returns on mastery, so that is why it is my #1 stat, then--per theck--have ur parry at about 1% higher than ur dodge stat--reforge as necessary. my toon is human so i get 3 expertise for wielding a sword as well as 3 more for the Ramkahen revered ring and 10 w/seal of truth for 16, i would go no higher here. For heroics, like the 1st three pulls in stonecore, u still wont have enough avoidance to face pull the mobs and live unless u have good CC--esp on the earthshapers!
hrbngr

Postby kakashi » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:29 am

The Hardest hitting boss atm in my experience is Halfus Heroic (Drakes in particular). Smacking us for anything between 50k-70k unblocked. Mastery is pretty awesome there however aiming for 150k hp might be a bit low. I've gemmed entirely for Mastery but with two Stamina trinkets and am usually the last tank alive when wiping.
kakashi
Maintankadonor

Postby xstrykr » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:30 pm

Vexryn,
Great guide. I wanted to help by updating you with the missing gems from your list:

Subtle Chimera's Eye - 67 dodge, bought with Illustrious Jewelcrafter's Token
Bold Chimera's Eye - 67 strength, bought with Illustrious Jewelcrafter's Token
Etched Nightstone - 15 str/15 hit, learned from trainer

I'm guessing you got your gem info from the beta cata site, which I think didn't have all of the designs cached. Hope this helps!
xstrykr

Postby vexryn » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:22 pm

xstrykr wrote:Vexryn,
Great guide. I wanted to help by updating you with the missing gems from your list:

Subtle Chimera's Eye - 67 dodge, bought with Illustrious Jewelcrafter's Token
Bold Chimera's Eye - 67 strength, bought with Illustrious Jewelcrafter's Token
Etched Nightstone - 15 str/15 hit, learned from trainer

I'm guessing you got your gem info from the beta cata site, which I think didn't have all of the designs cached. Hope this helps!

Yeah, didn't have them available when I pulled this information from the cata.wowhead.com beta cache.

All fixed/updated now. Thanks for pointing out! :)
vexryn
Maintankadonor

Postby Dunkan » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:27 pm

Mistake in the Quick Profession overview - Quickflips are linked twice.

Awesome guide.
Khaz'goroth Oceanic
Dunkan

Postby vexryn » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:57 pm

Dunkan wrote:Mistake in the Quick Profession overview - Quickflips are linked twice.

Awesome guide.

Dunkan,
Can you clarify where you're seeing this? I'm not seeing them listed twice in the Quick Profession overview. I'm seeing once in the Quick overview, and then a second time further down in the Detailed Profession listing.
vexryn
Maintankadonor

Postby Dunkan » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:04 am

Code: Select all
Engineering - An extra cooldown via Grounded Plasma Shield, and an effective health cooldown Quickflip Deflection Plates in lieu of an alternative glove enchant.

Check the links there. GPS links to Quickflip. This is a great resource.
Khaz'goroth Oceanic
Dunkan

Postby vexryn » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:03 am

Dunkan wrote:
Code: Select all
Engineering - An extra cooldown via Grounded Plasma Shield, and an effective health cooldown Quickflip Deflection Plates in lieu of an alternative glove enchant.

Check the links there. GPS links to Quickflip. This is a great resource.

Thanks for letting me know. Fixed!
vexryn
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice