Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Sabindeus, Aergis, lythac, Digren, majiben

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Postby Digren » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:05 pm

Exogen wrote:Love this List, was exactley what I was looking for, Many thanks to you dude, and just a question below.
vexryn wrote:Reinforced Sapphirium Faceguard (Tier 11) - Essence of the Forlorn token - Dodge/Hit

I believe this to be incorrect. Essence of the Forlorn is used to purchase Heroic Upgrade pieces. The tokons to upgrade class pieces arnt droping from bosses after looking at WowHead.
So you would need to purchase Reinforced Sapphirium Faceguard with JP and then to upgrade you need to get a Essence of the Forlorn From Lady Sinestra (Speculation) and with the Essence of the Forlorn purchase a Crown of the Forlorn Conqueror and then you can upgrade your tier piece to Heroic version.


This isn't correct. You need a [Helm of the Forlorn Conqueror] token to purchase a Reinforced Sapphirium Faceguard (T11). The Valor Point (not Justice Point) vendor only sells the chest, hands, and legs for VP. I checked this myself when writing my gear guide last weekend.

After that you are correct. To upgrade from T11 to T11.5, you then use an Essence of the Forlorn, likely from a selection of T11 raid bosses, to purchase a Crown of the Forlorn Conqueror, and then use that along with your existing Reinforced Sapphirium Faceguard to buy a Reinforced Sapphirium Faceguard.
User avatar
Digren
Moderator
 
Posts: 1401
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Postby Marilee » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:22 pm

The OP is ridiculously comprehensive, well-designed, and helpful. It is the most awesome thing written by anybody ever about anything. Okay, that's an exaggeration, but it's fantastic. ;) Thanks a bunch!
User avatar
Marilee
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:35 am

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Postby vexryn » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:06 pm

Digren wrote:
Exogen wrote:Love this List, was exactley what I was looking for, Many thanks to you dude, and just a question below.
vexryn wrote:Reinforced Sapphirium Faceguard (Tier 11) - Essence of the Forlorn token - Dodge/Hit

I believe this to be incorrect. Essence of the Forlorn is used to purchase Heroic Upgrade pieces. The tokons to upgrade class pieces arnt droping from bosses after looking at WowHead.
So you would need to purchase Reinforced Sapphirium Faceguard with JP and then to upgrade you need to get a Essence of the Forlorn From Lady Sinestra (Speculation) and with the Essence of the Forlorn purchase a Crown of the Forlorn Conqueror and then you can upgrade your tier piece to Heroic version.


This isn't correct. You need a [Helm of the Forlorn Conqueror] token to purchase a Reinforced Sapphirium Faceguard (T11). The Valor Point (not Justice Point) vendor only sells the chest, hands, and legs for VP. I checked this myself when writing my gear guide last weekend.

After that you are correct. To upgrade from T11 to T11.5, you then use an Essence of the Forlorn, likely from a selection of T11 raid bosses, to purchase a Crown of the Forlorn Conqueror, and then use that along with your existing Reinforced Sapphirium Faceguard to buy a Reinforced Sapphirium Faceguard.



Digren,
Ahh, thanks for clarifying. I saw the earlier post from the road and had a feeling this was the issue - I didn't catch the difference between the [Helm of the Forlorn Conqueror] (which, I presume, is a raid drop) and the Crown of the Forlorn Conqueror which is the heroic upgrade token that you purchase with an Essence of the Forlorn.

I'll get this sorted out shortly in the list. Thanks.
vexryn
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:12 pm

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Postby vexryn » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:12 pm

Digren wrote:This isn't correct. You need a [Helm of the Forlorn Conqueror] token to purchase a Reinforced Sapphirium Faceguard (T11). The Valor Point (not Justice Point) vendor only sells the chest, hands, and legs for VP. I checked this myself when writing my gear guide last weekend.




Hrm, on the flip side... it appears that the chest, hands, and legs are ONLY available for Valor Points. Wowhead only appears to have tokens for the head and shoulders for regular Tier 11. And then the Essence of the Forlorn buys one of 5 different tokens for the heroic tier upgrade.

So it looks like head and shoulders are only drops (for regular Tier 11), while the chest, hands, and legs are only Valor Points.
vexryn
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:12 pm

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Postby vexryn » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:19 pm

Updated posted for the Tier 11 corrections, both in the gear list threads and the Valor Point gear priority discussion. Thanks for pointing it out!
vexryn
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:12 pm

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Postby Digren » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:20 pm

vexryn wrote:
Digren wrote:This isn't correct. You need a [Helm of the Forlorn Conqueror] token to purchase a Reinforced Sapphirium Faceguard (T11). The Valor Point (not Justice Point) vendor only sells the chest, hands, and legs for VP. I checked this myself when writing my gear guide last weekend.




Hrm, on the flip side... it appears that the chest, hands, and legs are ONLY available for Valor Points. Wowhead only appears to have tokens for the head and shoulders for regular Tier 11. And then the Essence of the Forlorn buys one of 5 different tokens for the heroic tier upgrade.

So it looks like head and shoulders are only drops (for regular Tier 11), while the chest, hands, and legs are only Valor Points.

Yeah I saw that. So non-raiders can slowly grind out 3/5 while only raiders have access to the 4-piece bonus.
User avatar
Digren
Moderator
 
Posts: 1401
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Postby vexryn » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:28 pm

Digren wrote:
So it looks like head and shoulders are only drops (for regular Tier 11), while the chest, hands, and legs are only Valor Points.

Yeah I saw that. So non-raiders can slowly grind out 3/5 while only raiders have access to the 4-piece bonus.[/quote]


Well, or the "casual" raider can get 3/5 Tier 11 while only "better progression" raiders have access to the 4-piece bonus. Not knowing the bosses that drop the Head and Shoulders and their relatively difficulty, we'll see. But you're literally talking about almost 3 months of rigorous dailies just to get the 3/5 Tier 11 from 5-man dungeons only (not to mention the other Valor Point gear to buy), so I'm assuming that you'll have to be at least a casual raider to rack up enough Valor Points to see much of the Valor Point gear anytime before Valentine's Day or so. :)
vexryn
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:12 pm

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Postby Exogen » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:03 pm

Digren wrote:
Exogen wrote:Love this List, was exactley what I was looking for, Many thanks to you dude, and just a question below.
vexryn wrote:Reinforced Sapphirium Faceguard (Tier 11) - Essence of the Forlorn token - Dodge/Hit

I believe this to be incorrect. Essence of the Forlorn is used to purchase Heroic Upgrade pieces. The tokons to upgrade class pieces arnt droping from bosses after looking at WowHead.
So you would need to purchase Reinforced Sapphirium Faceguard with JP and then to upgrade you need to get a Essence of the Forlorn From Lady Sinestra (Speculation) and with the Essence of the Forlorn purchase a Crown of the Forlorn Conqueror and then you can upgrade your tier piece to Heroic version.


This isn't correct. You need a [Helm of the Forlorn Conqueror] token to purchase a Reinforced Sapphirium Faceguard (T11). The Valor Point (not Justice Point) vendor only sells the chest, hands, and legs for VP. I checked this myself when writing my gear guide last weekend.

After that you are correct. To upgrade from T11 to T11.5, you then use an Essence of the Forlorn, likely from a selection of T11 raid bosses, to purchase a Crown of the Forlorn Conqueror, and then use that along with your existing Reinforced Sapphirium Faceguard to buy a Reinforced Sapphirium Faceguard.

Thanks for clearing that up, I did it at Work where my WowHead tooltips dont work (Stupid IE) was was confusing tabbing between 2 sites.
Good to hear that a Casual cant get the full set.
Exogen
 
Posts: 0
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Postby vexryn » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:40 pm

Updated Mixology benefit of Alchemy, per a Blizzard blue post on hotfixes - it's now +120 Stamina when using the Stamina flask, putting it in line with other profession buffs.
vexryn
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:12 pm

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Postby Jarvick » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:19 pm

Vex, great write up, this is by far the best one I have seen leading into Cat. My hats off to you on this, and thanks for a great guide.
Jarvick
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:01 am
Location: Winterhoof

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Postby gibborim » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:11 am

Very nice compilation of information. Thank you for your work.
gibborim
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Postby Protigy » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:24 pm

Just wanted to drop in an pass along my thanks for your work! :D
User avatar
Protigy
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:18 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Postby Maikro » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:51 pm

Vex--You da man! Many thanks for the comprehensive evaluation!
Maikro
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:33 am

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Postby vexryn » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:05 pm

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

I'll be updating this list over the next 24 hours as we get any new details (including drops for a number of the epics) from the content going live.

I'll also be adding further updates over the next week as I grind out level 85 and the early gear itself, and discover any "unexpected changes" along the way!

In the meantime, if there's anything that you discover that's incorrect, or that you'd like to see added, please feel free to post in this thread.

Thanks, and enjoy!

/salute
vexryn
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:12 pm

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Postby TonabShin » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:19 am

Just pointing out Raz's Pauldrons drop in Blackrock Caverns from Ascendant Lord Obsidius, not Halls of Origination.
Deveaux - Lost Society - Tarren Mill EU
TonabShin
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:40 am
Location: Stafford, UK

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Postby econ21 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:26 am

Just a note on Therazane reputation: you can hit revered from just questing and one day's dailies. I just did it at (low) L83. It's probably worth completing the Therazane quests just to "finish" the Deepholm story and get the Riftrent waraxe as a reward. It does not delay going to Uldum significantly: if you go to Deepholm immediately at L82, you will only be a couple of bars into L83 by the time you are done.

I agree getting to exalted is not a priority, but getting to revered for the ring (and questing weapon) is probably worth it.
econ21
 
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:53 am

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Postby hrbngr » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:46 pm

econ21,

can you elaborate on the therazane rep? I started in mt hyjal and am now revered/guardians of hyjal, I next started in Vash'jir and noticed i was getting NO earthan ring reputation, so i stopped and moved on to Deepholme (what a miner's paradise btw!) I am currently in Deepholme getting earthan ring rep..and I am guessing from what you said that I will be getting Therazane rep at some point, right?
hrbngr
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:00 am

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Postby seigert » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:00 am

hrbngr wrote:I next started in Vash'jir and noticed i was getting NO earthan ring reputation, so i stopped and moved on to Deepholme


You can get about of 4k of Earthen Ring reputation in Vash'ir, quests with it start in a second subzone.
seigert
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:42 am

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Postby Barathorn » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:07 am

seigert wrote:
hrbngr wrote:I next started in Vash'jir and noticed i was getting NO earthan ring reputation, so i stopped and moved on to Deepholme


You can get about of 4k of Earthen Ring reputation in Vash'ir, quests with it start in a second subzone.


Don't forget this was hotfixed as per the post in the General forum as some quests were not giving the correct rep reward. No plans for this to be retroactively applied as of yet so you will need to grind the rep out.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
User avatar
Barathorn
Moderator
 
Posts: 5255
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:08 am
Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Postby econ21 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:13 am

hrbngr wrote:can you elaborate on the therazane rep?


It comes naturally in the later quests in Deepholm. It starts off with the Earthen Ring being attacked by Therazane, so they send you to try to win the favour of the big uglies. I enjoyed the Therazane quests and they do get you to revered with only one day of dailies required. Haven't bothered grinding past that yet though - better to move on to Uldum imo. I try to quest in the highest level area that will offer quests - more challenge and nicer loot. But I made an exception in Deepholm when I realised how close to revered with Therazane I was getting. I'll probably also loiter in Uldum, for cat people rep. You need 9m XP to get from level 84-85, so levelling in two zones sounds reasonable.
econ21
 
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:53 am

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:26 am

econ21 wrote:Just a note on Therazane reputation: you can hit revered from just questing and one day's dailies.

Hmm. I did the full quest chain, and I've done 3 days of dailies, and I'm still at 11185/12000 Honored.
KysenMurrin
 
Posts: 4908
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:37 am
Location: UK

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Postby Njall » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:34 am

econ21 wrote: I'll probably also loiter in Uldum, for cat people rep.


I can understand that.

Image
Image
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
User avatar
Njall
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 2922
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:13 pm
Location: Maine. Which reminds me of Grizzly Hills

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Postby econ21 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:36 am

KysenMurrin wrote:Hmm. I did the full quest chain, and I've done 3 days of dailies, and I'm still at 11185/12000 Honored.


That's odd. I wonder if the discrepancy is because my main is human and so benefits from 10% extra reputation?
econ21
 
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:53 am

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Postby Flex » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:27 am

KysenMurrin wrote:
econ21 wrote:Just a note on Therazane reputation: you can hit revered from just questing and one day's dailies.

Hmm. I did the full quest chain, and I've done 3 days of dailies, and I'm still at 11185/12000 Honored.


I hit 10K/12K from the primary quests and had to knock out one day of dailies to hit Revered. I'm guessing human 10% rep racial is the big player here.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
User avatar
Flex
 
Posts: 4677
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:29 am

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Postby hrbngr » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:37 pm

econ21,
I've been tempted to stay in deephholme or at least go back and do the dailies as well. I've been trying to find Terborus for the sweet tank wrist that he drops: http://www.wowhead.com/item=67238

I am now also close to revered with Therazane and have been contemplating which tabard to initially wear in roics based on Vexryn's recommendations.

Since there are so few options for boot upgrades, I'll be going for Wildhammer rep for the head reward at revered and boots at exalted first--along with the dailies mentioned here http://www.wowhead.com/faction=1174#comments. Next, back to Guardians of Hyjal for the exalted tanking back since there are no dailies to help get me to exalted--currently at revered from completing Mt Hyjal quests. I'm already earthan ring revered--needed for the head enchant--so next would be Therazane for the Exalted shoulder enchant, and finally finishing up with Ramkahen for the revered ring and exalted wrist.

My overall philosophy is to try and make a mastery set per Theckd's list and then a threat set w/full hit and lots of expertise. I am also trying to match gear where possible to the same basic stats as our tier gear. For example, for the shoulder slot: T11= http://www.wowhead.com/?item=60358(dodge/hit) so my focus is to get http://www.wowhead.com/?item=58104 (dodge/hit). That way when/if i get the tier piece it slots in nicely with the rest of my gear
hrbngr
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:00 am

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest

cron

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest