Remove Advertisements

Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Gear List & Gear Progression

Postby Chasey » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:23 am

Very well done. I love the way you set this up and I have lots to read to start putting mats away for the crafted.

Thank you!
Chasey

Postby vexryn » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:29 am

KysenMurrin wrote:3 blue, which you have incorrectly listed as Therazane:
http://www.wowhead.com/item=62355

2) I believe you'll be at Honored with Therazane by the time you complete the quest chain in Deepholm for the faction, which you'll likely do to reach 83 so you can move to Uldum.

Oops, fixing the Earthen Ring legs, thanks.

And good point about the Therazane rep. I didn't have access to Beta, so I wasn't certain how much rep is reasonable.
vexryn
Maintankadonor

Postby hopterque » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:42 pm

If you have a problem take it to PM's please, the list is valid and well constructed. If all you want to do is knock someones hard work this isn't the place for that.

If you want to continue this discussion you can PM me.

Barathorn.
hopterque

Postby tbolt » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:58 pm

Vexryn has compiled a very handy list of gear that is useful to all of us as we plan for Cata. Listing where/how tanking items are obtained is providing factual information which I thank him for since I neither have access to the beta nor the time to sit down and look all of this up by myself. If you think that the subjective part of his post where he gives advice on which gear path to take is incorrect, you could provide alternatives without trying to depreciate his efforts.
I wouldn't care if he only plays a shaman, much less what he gems in his tanking gear since it's pretty irrelevant to which faction gives me tanking boots. Thanks Vex for all the hard work.
tbolt

Postby vexryn » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:09 pm

tbolt wrote: Thanks Vex for all the hard work.

/salute
vexryn
Maintankadonor

Postby Brightsong » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:23 pm

Heya Vexryn,

This thread is A++ awesome. A query though - will we need to purchase enchants for pre-heroics blues in order to survive them? I'm not really looking forward to the expense of having to enchant my stuff three times over. :X
Brightsong

Postby vexryn » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:28 pm

Brightsong wrote:Heya Vexryn,

This thread is A++ awesome. A query though - will we need to purchase enchants for pre-heroics blues in order to survive them? I'm not really looking forward to the expense of having to enchant my stuff three times over. :X

Brightsong,
Not really clear at this point, and I can't say I had much of any experience on Beta with this.

I'm working on the enchant list right now and hope to have something up in the next 24 hours or so.

I would expect that you will need to enchant your gear. The sheer magnitude of the enchants - even the basic ones - really add up tremendously.

That being said, I believe that, as with Wrath, there are "basic" and "high end" versions of most enchants. You'll likely want to do the basic version on blue gear, where you get "most" of the value but don't pay a lot extra for that last little bit.

Depending on where heroics and early raids are tuned, though, you may decide even the high end enchants are worth it. We'll know a lot more in 2 weeks. :)
vexryn
Maintankadonor

Re: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Tank Gear List & Gear Progression

Postby Barathorn » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:16 am

I have deleted and amended several posts because it is frankly stupid to be having an argument about soon to be old content in what is a very useful and current thread. I don't care what people get up to in the rest of the forum, the gear forum is looked at by a huge amount of people and I won't have people bickering in this forum so if you have a problem with someone you take it to PM's.

I hope that is crystal clear for everyone.

Carry on the good work in this thread.

Barathorn
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Icecole » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:57 am

Great thread vex! /wave
Thanks for all of the hard work!

And go me for helping a little bit :D
Icecole

Postby vexryn » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:12 am

Icecole wrote:Great thread vex! /wave
Thanks for all of the hard work!

And go me for helping a little bit :D

Indeed Icecole, thanks for the heads-up on a few mis-matched links and such.

I think I've gotten the list almost entirely "cleaned up" of little typos and errors that inevitably come when capturing this much information, but if anyone finds anything else missing/erroneous/etc., please let me know! I want this to be as accurate and thorough as possible!
vexryn
Maintankadonor

Postby Eredor » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:52 pm

I wasn't a beta tester so I'll let other proof-read the lists.

Looks like a great solid guide.

Thanks for the work.
Eredor
Maintankadonor

Postby Abuna » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:57 pm

Ok..guess I screwed up the other post, so will try again. Excellent job on the list, and as I was not a beta tester either, have a question. Is the stam buff from mining going to remain competative with JC or is it time to change....

Thanks in Advance!
Abuna
Maintankadonor

Postby Abuna » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:26 pm

OK.. think I found it myself.. on Tankspot, duh! Mining is gonna give 120 Stam at 525, so prob not worth the time and expense to change.. already have 2 other toons with JC, so access to gems not a big issue.
Abuna
Maintankadonor

Postby vexryn » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:58 pm

Abuna wrote:OK.. think I found it myself.. on Tankspot, duh! Mining is gonna give 120 Stam at 525, so prob not worth the time and expense to change.. already have 2 other toons with JC, so access to gems not a big issue.

Indeed, I don't see any significant min/maxxing reason to change from Mining to JC for tank purposes, assuming you're happy with a reasonable chunk of stamina. :)

Mining will provide +120 stamina, and 3 Solid Chimera's Eyes will provide +101 Stamina each, upgrading Solid Ocean Sapphires that would have been +60 Stamina each; the net result is 3 x +41 stamina = +123 Stamina from Jewelcrafting.

I'll grant the JCs have a little more flexibility in gemming choices at least, and the JC trinket is a useful starter option. But I don't think that is an "overwhelming" reason to change to Jewelcrafting, but merely a 'decent' one.

That aside, I think I'm going to try to put a Profession summary list somewhere in the guide as well, as I'm seeing these questions come up a lot. Thanks for the "suggestion". :)

/salute
vexryn
Maintankadonor

Postby vexryn » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:26 pm

Now updated to include Professions too! :)
vexryn
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice