Tanking gear for fresh 80 Paladin?

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Tanking gear for fresh 80 Paladin?

Postby supreme jd » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:53 pm

I'm about to hit 80 on my Paladin, and my guild (a bunch of friends IRL) want me to get geared up so I can tank ICC10 and get Kingslayer title.

Being a fresh 80, what gearscore should I be looking at and what's the quickest way for me to get geared up to the appropriate level?

Sorry if this is a little too noob, thanks in advance.

BTW, I'm the only one out of all my friends who hasn't completed ICC. They just want me to get used to tanking in raids before Cata. :D
supreme jd

Re: Tanking gear for fresh 80 Paladin?

Postby Adryl » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:04 pm

If u got the peeps to run you. Rape the 5 man ICC Heroics imo. Rack up on points and 232 gear.

EDIT~ oh and the Reg ICC 5 mans as well since the Heroics can only be done once a day.
Adryl

Postby Neziah » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:10 pm

Neziah
Maintankadonor

Postby Digren » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:27 pm

Neziah wrote:Check this out. It should help. http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ ... =viewtopic

I didn't update that for 4.0.1. so it's somewhat out of date. There will be a new guide for 4.0.3.

With a guild to help you, you could skip tank level 1 and go straight to Yappo's failsafe guide, i.e. level 2. That said, Yappo isn't updating his list for 4.0.1 either. Consider that you can buy T10 gear using justice points, which isn't reflected in either his list or mine. And Yappo's list takes three weeks to complete.

At this point if your guild really cares, they need to:
1. Run you through the highest raids they can do without you, i.e. ICC heroic minus LK or whatever.
2. Run you through the next few raids i.e. Heroic ToC and Ulduar, just to get you more Justice Points and whatever gear drops.
3. Then run you through instances over and over and over until you have enough justice points to buy iLvl 251 gear for whatever slots you can and have something worse. Upgrade lowest iLvl first.

Use my guide, linked above, and see how close you can get to best-in-slot for a level three or four raider. The closer the better, but you're in a time crunch to accomplish anything before the expansion releases.

Edit: Oh, also I don't consider or care about gear scores. Aim for actual gear, as close to best in slot as possible, gemmed and enchanted and reforged correctly, and you'll do fine. My item enhancement guide has been updated for 4.0.1 and should help with that.
Digren

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice