Remove Advertisements

What the... Wrathful Slicer vs Pummeler

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

What the... Wrathful Slicer vs Pummeler

Postby Marilee » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:48 pm

http://www.wowhead.com/item=51521 vs http://www.wowhead.com/item=51519

Both 2.6 speed. Both 226.8 DPS. But the sword does 471 - 708 Damage and the mace does 412 - 767 Damage???

Am I missing something? Is this an in-game tooltip error and they actually do the same damage? Noticed TheckHD recommended the Slicer as a great tank weapon so I was farming up honor for it (I don't like raiding 25s so it is about the highest threat weapon I can get sticking to 10s/PvP)... but wondering now if I should get the mace instead due to the extra max damage.

If that extra damage is even real? Isn't it the "max" damage that matters? (The mace has a lower end, but that doesn't matter, right?) Agh I hate math.

Thanks for any insight. I'm probably just missing something really obvious about the difference between these two weapons. :D
Marilee

Re: What the... Wrathful Slicer vs Pummeler

Postby lythac » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:31 pm

Doesn't look to be a tooltip error. Their average damage is the same and so their DPS is the same as have same speed.

This wowhead link shows thirteen 264 2.6 weapons, ten with 412-767 and three with 471-708 damage range. If you change the level to 245 and 232 you get the same thing, two damage ranges.

For those three ilvls the smaller range is made up of fist weapons and the PvP sword every time.

I always thought it is the average damage per swing that matters, just easier to look at max damage when comparing weapons of different swing speeds and ilvl (e.g. 232 3.6 vs 245 3.2). 2H items only have 1 damage range per speed - (wowhead link).

I guess this has never come up as we can't use fists and the PvP weapons were out of reach for most due to the now removed ratings (they are removed right?).
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Marilee » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:14 pm

Ah okay.

I guess to modify my question then, go with the Mace or the Sword for tanking? (Human, so either gets me my expertise boost.) Again, I thought the point of the "slower weapons = better threat" thing was that slower weapons usually have a higher top end of the damage range, which would seem to suggest the mace. But I might be misunderstanding things.

So... does one being 471 - 708 Damage and the other being 412 - 767 Damage make any difference?

Aesthetically, I'd rather get the sword. I hate the stupid noise maces make when they hit things. ;)
Last edited by Marilee on Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marilee

Postby RedAces » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:35 pm

Hey,

Mace > Sword because of style !!

Bye, RedAces.
RedAces

Postby Marilee » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:10 pm

RedAces wrote:Hey,

Bye, RedAces.

But... but... the thud thud noise. :(
Marilee

Postby RedAces » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:16 pm

hey,

Marilee wrote:

Bye, RedAces.

The what ?

Bye, RedAces.
RedAces

Postby Marilee » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:07 pm

RedAces wrote:hey,

Marilee wrote:

Bye, RedAces.

The what ?

Bye, RedAces.

The mace sound effect. The whack whack noise. I find it unpleasant.
Marilee

Postby RedAces » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:17 am

hu,

Marilee wrote:The mace sound effect. The whack whack noise. I find it unpleasant.

Mute WoW, start Winamp (or similar) and crank up the volume! (I prefer techno and rave for running heroics because I'm challenged to pull new mobs in the rhythm of the beat :D )

Bye, RedAces.
RedAces

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:14 am

But with no game sounds how can you hear DPS popping CDs on the pull so you know to yell at them to stop being stupid?
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:16 am

If you go back and look, swords have always had "tighter" "lower" damage ranges.

Higher Low end, but lower High End damage ranges than maces, axes, and fist weapons. They are the same DPS, but "Technically" you "Could" see more from the mace if RNG favored you, but in a large enough sample size you will see they average out.

I know that this was the case in TBC with the PvP weapons, and looking back, it is just the way it always has been.
Shoju

Postby Marilee » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:07 am

Shoju wrote:If you go back and look, swords have always had "tighter" "lower" damage ranges.

Higher Low end, but lower High End damage ranges than maces, axes, and fist weapons. They are the same DPS, but "Technically" you "Could" see more from the mace if RNG favored you, but in a large enough sample size you will see they average out.

I know that this was the case in TBC with the PvP weapons, and looking back, it is just the way it always has been.

Thanks, that's what I needed. :) No whack whack noise for me then, yay!
Marilee

Postby RedAces » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:37 am

hey,

fuzzygeek wrote:But with no game sounds how can you hear DPS popping CDs on the pull so you know to yell at them to stop being stupid?

Don't think! Just tank !

Bye, RedAces.

EDIT: And ... if you pull faster than they can think / react, you'll always have plenty time to build threat. I just tank with ret gear (+Sword and Board) and pull like a mad men. They can pop whatever they want, trash dies before they reach them^^ (usually 10 - 12k DPS :D)
RedAces

Postby theckhd » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:35 pm

Marilee wrote:Again, I thought the point of the "slower weapons = better threat" thing was that slower weapons usually have a higher top end of the damage range, which would seem to suggest the mace. But I might be misunderstanding things.

So... does one being 471 - 708 Damage and the other being 412 - 767 Damage make any difference?

Nope. It's always average damage that matters for us. Slower weapons are better because their average damage per swing is higher than a fast weapon, which nets us more damage thanks to seal procs from CS/J/ShoR.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice