Remove Advertisements

4.0.1 heroic 5-man gearing advice ?

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

4.0.1 heroic 5-man gearing advice ?

Postby benebarba » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:55 am

It seems I'm just too much of a noob for the threads in the basics forum, so here I am. Here's the armoury link to my gear (I've already done some reforging of dodge to mastery - not everything is showing up): http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... =Benebarba

It can be summarized as 4-piece T9, with some crafted bits, heroic 5-man drops and some misc. emblem gear. I'm sitting at about 21%/18%/28% for dodge/parry/block and have a ~61% DR from armor with a ~36.5k health pool (all unbuffed - have to double check some enchants though). I have another brewfest trinket I can swap out for some more stam, but the mastery from a reforged Ick's thumb seemed a better plan.

Before 4.0.1, my approach for heroic 5-mans to get uncrittable with defense (any extra was gravy, and I focused on block and dodge), hit cap and to pile on the stam so the healer had enough time to do their thing. Now we become crit immune from talents, and I am still hit capped. But my gear doesn't have enough secondary stats to move around to block-cap. It seems like I should still be able to take one or two in the face from most heroic bosses (assuming they didn't get a big DPS buff).

Any advice on how one should prioritize dodge/parry/block(mastery) until you get to a gear level where you have enough stats to move around that you can block-cap (or we start getting mastery on gear)?
How about expertise and hit - keep em or go for survivability first?
benebarba

Re: 4.0.1 heroic 5-man gearing advice ?

Postby Flex » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:16 pm

5 mans? Grab ret gear and go to town.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby djlar » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:58 pm

You can get T10/ i624 gear with 5 mans now... Justice Points FTW

If you are hoping for T9 you're doing it wrong! I think they cost about the same!
djlar

Postby Syncognition » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:41 pm

"A dead tank can't tank anything. A living tank that can't hold aggro is just bad."

-Caine, Amon Amarth of Dark Iron

(his videos were great for wrath tanking, but he hasn't updated in awhile)

If you are in T9 you really don't need anything better than what you have for 5-mans, but if you plan on raiding I would suggest focusing primarily on survivability, with threat being secondary. Of course, I wouldn't turn down threat gear if it has a higher stat budget than the current survivability gear you have. For survivability I'd reforge spare dodge, as your parry is a bit low to spare any, and suggest enchanting (and possibly gemming) for avoidance unless a much better EH enchant is available.

Use your judgement...followed by hammer, wrath, hammer, etc.

=P
Syncognition

Postby benebarba » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:56 pm

djlar wrote:You can get T10/ i624 gear with 5 mans now... Justice Points FTW

If you are hoping for T9 you're doing it wrong! I think they cost about the same!

I was trying to figure out how to upgrade my T9 to T10, so when the JP system was announced, I was very happy. I can pug 5-mans easily thanks to the RDF (and my guild can pretty easily put 3-5 together for a dungeon run), but didn't quite have the gearscore and experience to pug raids easily. Hopefully this will change in the future... some of the raid content looks like a ton of fun.
benebarba

Postby econ21 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:47 am

benebarba wrote:Any advice on how one should prioritize dodge/parry/block(mastery) until you get to a gear level where you have enough stats to move around that you can block-cap (or we start getting mastery on gear)?

Personally, I would work towards a "survival set" which reforges dodge and parry (whichever is higher) for mastery on every item. That's what I had to do to get to the cap with all my gear 264 level or better. If you get too much block (unlikely given where you are), you can always reforge back. And I would gem for +6 stamina bonuses now, as Digren suggests.

Some folk argue for only trading off stamina or avoidance for block until you can reach the cap, but I am not persuaded by that. More block, even if not capped, will reduce the spikiness of your damage.

How about expertise and hit - keep em or go for survivability first?

I would also work towards a "threat set" which is your survival set but tweaked to be hit and expertise (soft) capped. Typically, the pieces oriented towards threat will be your lesser pieces (e.g. T9 rather than T10). Getting this set is more something to focus on when raiding, when some drops may be lesser pieces compared to your 264 frost gear (or may even be ret or PVP pieces). But I would be inclined to wear this stuff for 5 mans, as holding aggro and even killing things is probably more what you focus on in that content rather than merely surviving.

For me, the centre piece of either set would be the weapon. I would strongly recommend getting a slow wrathful weapon (for both sets) for honour until you get a raid drop. The PVP shield is also a no-brainer and only costs 70 honour.
econ21

Postby benebarba » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:12 am

I may give the ret set a try - sounds like it could be fun, and my current ret set is crap. :D

Last night, I ran my first post-patch dungeons (H-ToC, H-UP) and things went pretty well. One dumb pull and fat fingered the rotation a couple times, but only 1 death (Healer in UP - they were the only real aggro problem I had. Big HoTs at the beginning of every pull, even if I was at full health...). The DPSers seemed able to manage their aggro well, though the boost in DPS was plain to see. The phases with Ymrion were so quick that after the first one, I was able to almost always start with a 3-HoPo ShoTR.

I'll give reforging to block a try, as well as checking out the PVP shield (I may have enough honor for it, or can get it relatively quick). I'd already started gemming for stam pre-patch and will probably continue on that road. I'm also going to re-talent eye-for-an-eye to crusade for the flat threat boost.
benebarba

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice