Remove Advertisements

Cata gear?

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Cata gear?

Postby Palisade » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:50 am

Maybe I'm blind and just not seeing them... But where are the profession discussions for Cata / lvl 85?

Specifically, what professions will be the ideal choices to min/max our selves as tanks.

Back in the end of BC, I was enchanting/engineering for the rings and goggles. For early Wrath, it was BS/JC for the godly gems. Now it seems to be swinging back to Engineering (or have swung?)

Should we stick with Blacksmith for the extra gem slots and possibilty of uber crafted gear?

Is it going to be worth dropping JC or BS for the engineering goggles and other goodies?
Palisade

Re: Cata gear?

Postby Digren » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:44 am

They're still tweaking things too regularly to know for sure.

Best guesses:
Blacksmiths will still get the extra sockets as bonuses.
Enchanters will still get ring enchants as bonuses.
Jewelers will still get special gems as bonuses.
Miners will still get stamina as a bonus.

It's less clear for engineers. Is the fact that the helm tinker stacks with the regular helm enchant and still provides 45 stamina a bug? Or is it intended to compensate for the reduction in armor on the glove tinker? Will this be phased out in exchange for the new head not-named-gem engie-only gems? Are those even viable, or will they be replaced because they won't keep goggles up to date (and only goggles have sockets for the new gems)?

Thus, without knowing if engineering is best, or even good, discussion of min/max is premature.

(Standard disclaimer: All of the above professions provide nearly the same benefit and changing professions between them to min/max is pretty much a waste of your time.)
Digren

Postby lythac » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:56 am

Palisade wrote:For early Wrath, it was BS/JC for the godly gems.

You didn't use the sta trinket which was on par with EoG sta wise and had a better secondary effect? Or take advantage of being able to use double sta trinkets (think only Alchs and JCs could have double sta trinkets Edit - Eng as well but that trinket wasn't very good).

Same for Cata, there are 2 JC trinkets you can use for tanking, 1 sta and 1 mastery. The alternative is specifically queuing for The Stonecore Heroic and hoping RNG favours you and you get the sta trinket in time for raiding. If you plan on raiding within a week of hitting 85 having 2 raid viable trinkets with little worry is a very good perk of the profession.

So I wouldn't worry about what is min/max just yet focus on what profession is going to provide the greatest benefit to you. Both JC and BS look fine.

Depending on how often you plan to swap professions to min/max if you did plan on taking up a new profession Lifebound Alchemist Stone looks insanely good for tier 11 content, pushing Alchemy way ahead of Blacksmithing.

I am not dropping JC as I like knowing I can have 2 raid ready trinkets pretty easily. The thing that starts the quest chain is a drop and numbers aren't out on it yet (when numbers are out they will be reported very low the same way BoP JC patterns are - you don't see them if you're not a JC).
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Palisade » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:59 pm

Yeah, it's the lifeblood alchy stone that got me wondering if JC was going to be 'excellent' for tanking or just 'good.'
Palisade

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice