weapon enchant for 4.0?

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

weapon enchant for 4.0?

Postby Vlad » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:01 pm

So, with the value of agility being significantly reduced, is Mongoose still the preferred weapon enchant?

Or should we be re-enchanting our weapon to something like blade ward?

This question applies to two situation
1. my normal gear, Mostly 277, H Last Word etc
2. my herald set, wondering if the weapon enchant for herald differs to ICC. weapon Ardent guard/Shiver
Vlad

Re: weapon enchant for 4.0?

Postby xcitu » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:23 am

Depends on how your gear is set up. After I reached the block cap, I was missing(and still am) hit and expertise rating, so I put Accuracy enchant(25 hit+crit) on my wep, since that would benefit me more than other enchants.
So.. if you need hit-->Accuracy. Need parry for you way to 102.4%---> 40 strength.. etc. :)

Now, I'd enchant my weapon for whats best for me, not with the declared "best enchant". When I get some new gear, I think I'll be able to replace it.
xcitu

Postby Fenrìr » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:22 am

I'm fairly certain with the changes to agility, Mongoose has lost it's appeal to plate wearing tanks. I am yet to make the switch, but I'm probably going to go to Blood Draining (ARGH...it hurts to even admit that) until my healers and even myself are more adjusted to the changes of me being a warrior knock-off.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby Digren » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:03 pm

There's no indication that Blade Ward is less suck than it previously was. I'd go with Accuracy or Blood Draining at the moment.
Digren

Postby Awyndel » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:42 pm

Well personally I try to stay hit capped with my survival/blood draining weapon ( last word )as well. So for my 2.6 speed threat weapon accuracy is not an option.

So i'm stuck with 20 str, 26 agility, 65 ap, or mongoose. Looking at the current stat comparison 65 AP probably wins. 26 agility would give some avoidance, but it's a lot lower. Mongoose is too rng for me. 20 str gives less avoidance and threat then 26 agility.
Awyndel

Postby Digren » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:11 am

Awyndel wrote:Well personally I try to stay hit capped with my survival/blood draining weapon ( last word )as well. So for my 2.6 speed threat weapon accuracy is not an option.

So i'm stuck with 20 str, 26 agility, 65 ap, or mongoose. Looking at the current stat comparison 65 AP probably wins. 26 agility would give some avoidance, but it's a lot lower. Mongoose is too rng for me. 20 str gives less avoidance and threat then 26 agility.

Your threat set should include not only a weapon swap but also a swap of at least one other item - usually gloves so you can switch in the +2% threat enchant. With the item change, you can adjust your overall hit rating, making space to use Accuracy on your threat weapon.

(i.e. assuming you have hit rating on your progression gloves, have lower hit rating on your threat gloves and compensate with Accuracy on your threat weapon. If you don't have hit rating on your progression gloves, include some other slot in your threat set where you can make the adjustment.)

Without taking the time to do the math I'm relatively certain that 2% threat is quite a bit better than 65 AP. It won't be a 1:1 swap since your adjusting two items with enchants and gems but I bet a spare set of gloves would yield a stronger threat set for you overall.

Edit: Do you for some reason like to switch sets during combat? Then consider a threat shield or libram.
Digren

Postby Zalaria » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:52 am

Digren wrote:
Awyndel wrote:Well personally I try to stay hit capped with my survival/blood draining weapon ( last word )as well. So for my 2.6 speed threat weapon accuracy is not an option.

Your threat set should include not only a weapon swap but also a swap of at least one other item - usually gloves so you can switch in the +2% threat enchant. With the item change, you can adjust your overall hit rating, making space to use Accuracy on your threat weapon.

(i.e. assuming you have hit rating on your progression gloves, have lower hit rating on your threat gloves and compensate with Accuracy on your threat weapon. If you don't have hit rating on your progression gloves, include some other slot in your threat set where you can make the adjustment.)

Without taking the time to do the math I'm relatively certain that 2% threat is quite a bit better than 65 AP. It won't be a 1:1 swap since your adjusting two items with enchants and gems but I bet a spare set of gloves would yield a stronger threat set for you overall.

Edit: Do you for some reason like to switch sets during combat? Then consider a threat shield or libram.

The pvp gloves might be a very good choice for said threat gloves, with their 5% CS buff.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - It's time to roll the dice
Zalaria
Maintankadonor

Postby Digren » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:34 am

Zalaria wrote:The pvp gloves might be a very good choice for said threat gloves, with their 5% CS buff.

In my case I use Gauntlets of the Kraken in my progression set and use the T10 gloves in my threat set, thus gaining the two-piece T10 set bonus as well as the +2% threat enchant in my threat set. (I don't stay at the hit cap in my progression set, but my threat set consists of several pieces including gloves, rings, a trinket, so I can hit cap in that set.)
Digren

Postby Awyndel » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:17 am

Digren wrote:Edit: Do you for some reason like to switch sets during combat? Then consider a threat shield or libram.

This is exactly what I do, and exactly what I will consider :D . I basicly have been swapping weapons and librams depending on seal and phase of the fight throught most icc progression.

I used to have a complete dps set for dungeons, but since I never seriously used it for raiding ( apart from trash giggles ) , I kinda gave up on it.
Awyndel

Postby steadypal » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:07 pm

does blood draining still take 10 minutes to fully stack up? did they change it so our dot ticks refresh it similar to druids and warriors?
steadypal

Postby Chicken » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:41 pm

steadypal wrote:does blood draining still take 10 minutes to fully stack up? did they change it so our dot ticks refresh it similar to druids and warriors?
Pretty high proc chance on swing, 10 second ICD, it averages about about a minute to get it to 5 stacks.
Chicken

Postby Digren » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:24 am

Given how:

1. Expertise and hit rating are now much more important for threat, but
2. Avoidance/mastery (to reach block is cap) are now much more important for survivability,

I think Accuracy is the only viable weapon enchant. Why? Because it's one of the few places where you can get hit rating at little to no cost. Losing Blood Draining, the only sort-of-viable alternative isn't a big loss. Can you reforge for hit rating? Nope, in my iLvl 264 set at least it takes every piece reforged for mastery to get close to the block cap. Can you gem or enchant for hit rating? Maybe, but it's sacrificing pure avoidance, changing zero damage hits into 70% hits.
Digren

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice