New to tanking(few gear questions)

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

New to tanking(few gear questions)

Postby docsleazy » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:54 am

I am really new to tanking infact, I main ret; just started tanking today my problem is
I am not to sure what i should be gemming, enchanting or which stats such as str,stam,agi, intel etc. Also how important stuff like expertise or w.e to us is. Can anyone point me in the right direction.
docsleazy

Re: New to tanking(few gear questions)

Postby econ21 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:15 pm

Digren's guides to enchanting and gemming in this forum used to be the best guides, but now everything is in flux. The old guide was guided partly by the need to be uncritable, the latest one is under development but recommends going for block cap.

What kind of gear have you got?

My personal advice is that for a new level 80 tank, they should stack stamina (and armour) for effective health. You need a decent sized hit point pool to tank current content - ie heroics, weekly raids, VOA and ICC. PUGs in particular will look at that. However, if you find a decent slot bonus, by all means take it using mixed gems - e.g. parry/stamina. By decent, we may now mean +6 stamina per non-blue slot.

Block capping is something I would go for once you reach ICC raid entry level of gear and can reforge avoidance for lots of mastery. To do this, you would look more favorably on avoidance and reforge gear for mastery.

Basically, I would say - try to meet the effective health requirement of what you are tanking, then go for block capping. For heroics, I would shoot for 35k health - you could do them with 25k health, but PUGs won't believe you. For ICC10 normal, go for 40k health.

Threat is a whole other thing and generally, I would not let it guide gear choice for a new tank. However, I would get the highest item level weapon you can with a slow one counting for one tier higher than a fast one. And I would slap an armsman enchant on, despite the horror this will elicit from some on this forum.

PVP gear used to be a nice way for new tanks to get their threat up - if you have honour you want to spend, pick up a slow 264 one hander. And maybe some +hit off pieces (e.g. cloak), bracers etc.

Good hunting!
econ21

Postby docsleazy » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:39 am

First off i'd like to apologize for the wall fo text; figured I would attempt to give you as much information of what I am working with so you're able to better help me. Also I was wondering what the Block cap is? and is there anything else I need to worry about beside being Block Capped?

My Current Gear
Weapon: [Rimefang's Claw]
Sheild: [Royal Crest of Lordaeron]
Helm: [Lightsworn Faceguard]
Neck: [The Warlord's Depravity]
Shoulder: [Lightsworn Shoulderguards]
Cloak: [Flowing Cloak of Command]
Chest: [Lightsworn Chestguard]
Hands: [Sanctified Lightsworn Handguards]
Belt: [Ancient Aligned Girdle]
Legs: [Lightsworn Legguards]
Boots: [Grinning Skull Boots] (Ret boots; working on getting an upgrade from heroics)
Ring(s): [Band of Torture] [Ashen Band of Unmatched Might] (This is cause my main is ret.. I haven't changed it to the Tanking Ring.)
Trinket(s): [Brawler's Souvenir] [Needle-Encrusted Scorpion]
Relic: [Libram of Three Truths] (Again from my ret spec; working on getting a relic)
Gylphs:

Prime-

Glyph of SotR
Glyph of Seal of Truth
Glyph of HotR

Major-

Glyph of Dazing Sheild
Glyph of HoW
Glyph of Consecration

Minor-

Glyph of Blessing of Kings
Glyph of Lay on Hands
Glyph of Blessing of Might

My health, is about 34k without Kings, 35k with.

Enchants:

Head - +37 Stam +20 Dodge Rating
Shoulder - +20 Dodge Rating +22 Stam
Chest - +10 All stats

Current Gems:
30 Stam - Head (need a meta)
30 stam - Shoulder
2x30 Stam - Chest
30 Stam - Hands
2x30 Stam - Legs
docsleazy

Postby econ21 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:18 am

Well, for someone who just started tanking today, you are pretty well set: lots of T10 there and a nice weapon (although I would still say look for a slow dps one).

To be honest, I think Blizzard do a good enough job of itemising that we can just look at item level 95% of the time when making gear choices. (One difference from ret - at least pre-patch ret - is that our T10 bonuses are not worth getting excited about.) It used to be that extra armor was too good for its item level, but they reduced that - whether extra armor is now too bad or just balanced, I am not sure. It may vary by the piece. And it used to be that avoidance was belittled by players but with block capping, it is looking good again. Good times.

On the block cap, check out the guide on reforging in the Advanced Training forum. You want about 88% block, parry and dodge chance - the 15% from Holy Shield will get you to the 102.4% "unhittable" cap. I think I would reforge avoidance to mastery and use mixed stamina gems for bonuses to get there. (Right now I am still solid stamina gemmed mainly, and don't think it worth regemming given Cata - when I suspect avoidance ratings will nose dive and gear get replaced).

If you want to know more about threat stats, keep an eye on Theckhd's matlab thread in the same sub-forum. So far, it looks like expertise is our best stat, even past the 26 soft cap. Hit is good. After that, the surprise is stamina is about as good as anything else (e.g. strength). I like to use a "threat set" on trash/heroics - which caps hit and soft caps expertise - and a "survival" set on bosses.

PS: Get the meta! 2% armour is awesome.
Last edited by econ21 on Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
econ21

Postby docsleazy » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:48 am

I just logged, for the night; tomorrow I am gonna grind some heroics to try and get some off-set pieces from Justice points; and hope to get some upgrades from my Ret pieces I am still using.

I have a friend who his a JC making me the meta gem they just had to log so I should have it by the next time you reply; I will porb start reforging some stuff once I get on to check my cap's and stuff. Thanks for the help so far you're really helping me understand this a lot more. Was scared to come to tanking from dps. Especially ret dps; to me it's so simple to be doing dps; but tanking I am having a semi-hard time getting a hang of.
docsleazy

Postby Fenrìr » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:44 am

One suggestion is to drop the Dazing Shield glyph. With no real ability to close distance fast to slowed mobs and the ability for casting mobs to not move very far, the removal of the daze effect is, to me, a godsend.

Try to not neglect crafted armor pieces if you cannot seem to get upgrades from heroics. The guides put in place by Digren, Theck and Knaughty are also well done and great places for you to look too for information.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby docsleazy » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:26 pm

What section can those guides be found in?; And ok if dazing shield isn't really benefical what would a good replacement for that glyph? I thought that was the most benefical appaerntly I was wrong.
docsleazy

Postby Fenrìr » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:45 pm

The guides can be found in any of the Tankadin Training forums. They can be generally found in the top five threads as they are stickied.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice