Remove Advertisements

Omw to 102.4%

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Omw to 102.4%

Postby xcitu » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:06 pm

I need some help in my way towards "unhittable, 102.4%".
http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... t&cn=Xcitu

Currently I´m at 81.57 or 82(Changes some times, dunno why) without HS up. I need to fetch 87.4%(dodge+parry+block) and HS will fix rest with the 15% chance to block.

The changes I´ve done so far:
Reforge some parry/dodge to hit/expertise to get soft capped, then reforge mastery of the remaining reforgable pieces.

Is it worth going for mastery? I´ve read that mastery is terrible now, would you agree to this?
I read that getting to 102.4% will remove hit from the "table", does that mean that I don´t need to be hit capped anymore?

Some other stuff worth knowing about me.. don´t got too much knowledge about the 102.4% phenomenom, started tanking(and playing) in Wotlk so basicly all I know is to get def capped and stack stam all teh way!

Thats the questions I have for now, hoping for some good input. :)
xcitu

Re: Omw to 102.4%

Postby fuzzygeek » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:19 pm

Our mastery is +block%. Blocking a hit reduces it by 30%. You want to be "unhittable."

As a tank, I would argue that your need to be hit/exp softcapped is secondary to making sure you are unhittable. Instead of reforging for hit/expt, reforge for mastery. Many people seem to be around 21-22% dodge, 21-22% pary, with the difference made up via block rating.

Our mastery may be lackluster and boring, but that doesn't make it any less useful.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Digren » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:43 pm

I recommend using "block cap" over "unhittable". While both have been used interchangeably, I think "block cap" is more clear as to the effects, and for some people "unhittable" means all incoming melee will be misses, dodges, or parries. (Yes, in very certain circumstances the "avoidance cap" of 101.6% was reachable before the advent of diminishing returns.)

When you reach the magic 102.4% combined avoidance + block chance, all incoming melee will be misses, dodges, parries, or blocks. This was a mainstay of BC tanking and was possible throughout WotLK; however, it wasn't done after Naxx because the damage reduction of a successful block was very small compared to a regular hit, and the loss in stamina to gear for block rating just wasn't worth it.

(In BC being block capped also meant that you couldn't take crushes, which meant you prevented more than just your block value in damage. Now in Cata being block capped takes 30% off the incoming hit, again making it very powerful. Also, the large diminishing returns on dodge and parry rating and the ability to reforge mean you can gain large amounts of block via mastery without losing much pure avoidance.)
Digren

Postby Vrimmel » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:11 pm

Losing a small amount of avoidance for 30% less damage from every attack? Yes please!
Vrimmel

Postby sculder » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:59 pm

sculder

Postby xcitu » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:56 am

Digren wrote:I recommend using "block cap" over "unhittable". While both have been used interchangeably, I think "block cap" is more clear as to the effects, and for some people "unhittable" means all incoming melee will be misses, dodges, or parries. (Yes, in very certain circumstances the "avoidance cap" of 101.6% was reachable before the advent of diminishing returns.)

So "block capped" means 30% of all damage blocked, though I´m a little bit confused about "unhittable". You say that "for some people ´unhittable´ means .....". What does "unhittable" really mean? Cause in my head right now its like: "I´m unhittable, yay hooray, I wont take any melee(/ranged?) damage from bosses", is this correct? I´m a little bit confused about the "unhittable part". :P
About choosing "Block cap" over "unhittable"; Getting block capped first means putting more points into Mastery, correct?

One other thing; Armory isn´t fully updated yet so you won´t see my gem changes. I´ve changed out the gems in my gear where socket bonus in 9 stam or greater. That being mostly red sockets, I´ve placed 10 parry+15 stam(Defender´s Dreadstone) in them and 10 dodge+15 stam(Regal Eye of Zul) in the few yellow sockets. Now my question, is it worth fetching the 6 stam socket bonus aswell? I´ll loose some stamina ofc, but would the extra dodge/parry make up for it?
As for my libram, now with a red socket without socket bonus, I´m thinking of putting a pure parry or dodge gem into it, would that be advisable?

And yeah, may I please marry this forum? Thanks alot for very good answers/input. :D

Edit:
Didn´t start reading sculder´s link until now and I see that some of my questions is answered there. Thanks. :)

Edit2:
Long post :D
I´ve made it to 87.73 now, without HS up, which is great. Only thing I´m curious about now is unhittable and my gems. Should I gem for all socket bonuses+put a pure dodge/parry gem in my libram and then remove as much mastery as possible, while still being over the cap ofc?
xcitu

Postby Delacey » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:43 am

Unhittable means that every shot against you is either avoided or blocked in some way.

An incoming attack can be :-

Missed
Dodged
Parried
Blocked

Unhittable means that when you combine the percentages of those 4 events, that you are are at 87.4%. When Holy Shield is active, that is a further 15%, taking you to the magic 102.4%

We don't use unhittable anymore, it is misleading. Using the term block capped means that if you are hit, it is guaranteed to be blocked.
Delacey

Postby xcitu » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:24 am

Aha, thanks for the clear up, understand now. I´m currently block capped and gonna experiment with hit/exp gems to try and get soft capped with those stats aswell. :)
xcitu

Postby lythac » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:02 am

Digren wrote:(Yes, in very certain circumstances the "avoidance cap" of 101.6% was reachable before the advent of diminishing returns.)

!!!!!!

Avoidance cap vs +3/?? - 101.8% For miss/dodge/parry classes (100 + 3 * 3 * 0.2)
Avoidance cap vs +3/?? - 101.2% For miss/dodge classes (100 + 2 * 3 * 0.2)

Block cap vs +3/?? - 102.4% (100 + 4 * 3 * 0.2)
Block cap vs +2 - 101.6% (100 + 4 * 2 * 0.2)

(Numbers are char sheet)

Pedantry, I has it :roll:
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby xcitu » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:16 pm

Changed some gems and so, got a little exp/hit in and now sitting at 102.42% selfbuffed(21 exp, 6.31% or near 7% hit), I´m happy with that. Tho I think I can reduce it by some points with raid buffs, haven´t tested that out yet.
Thanks for the help. :)
xcitu

Postby Digren » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:35 am

Delacey wrote:Unhittable means that every shot against you is either avoided or blocked in some way.

An incoming attack can be :-

Missed
Dodged
Parried
Blocked

For some people unhittable does not mean this. That was my original point. For some people unhittable means every shot against you is avoided.

An incoming attack can be:
Missed
Dodged
Parried

And yeah, it's 101.8. Typo. =p
Digren

Postby sculder » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:53 am

Digren wrote:For some people unhittable does not mean this. That was my original point. For some people unhittable means every shot against you is avoided.

An incoming attack can be:
Missed
Dodged
Parried

I've been in many "arguments"/discussions with guild members about this... I explain that I'm "avoidance capped" and all I get is flak about block not being avoidance. I think this point is debatable with the new block changes, but "Unhittable" would imply that you can't be hit. When you block an attack it is technically avoided, in a way, but despite mitigation you're still taking the hit.

But this is mostly opinions and tomato/tomàto talk.
sculder

Postby Digren » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:23 am

Yeah, not a big deal. Most people are using "block cap" now which is my preferred term anyway.

IF "unhittable" i.e. "avoidance cap" was attainable in the game right now, then the distinction would be more important. I don't think any class can do this at the moment - wasn't the rogue ability nerfed?
Digren

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice