Taking too much damage?

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Taking too much damage?

Postby Valker » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:09 am

Hello everyone, First let me say thanks for all the help I have found on this site so far.

I just recently started tanking, I am concerned that I am taking too much damage. I dont have any threat issues. I use the 6969 rotation occasionally throwing down a consicrate.

I volunteered to tank VOA10 today, the healers said it was a challenge to keep me up during both the first two fights. I have read all I can about how to properly set up a tankadin but I would like to have the pros look at my gear, gems, spec, etc.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &cn=Valker

Thanks guys! any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Valker

Re: Taking too much damage?

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:52 am

Can't see anything from your armory that would make you take too much damage. I'd suggest changing a couple enchants (chest to 225 health and gloves to 18 stam), but that's not a big deal.

Unrelated to damage intake, I noticed your talent spec didn't pick up Touched by the Light. Now this one does look like a healing talent when you read the tooltip, but almost every spell a Prot Paladin uses scales equally from Spellpower and Attack power, so TbtL actually works out to be one of the best threat talents in the tree. You should grab it - I'd take 2 points out of Reckoning (3/5 Reckoning gives almost as much threat as adding more points) and 1 out of Spiritual Attunement (Divine Plea and Sanctuary give enough mana to sustain 1/2 Spiritual Attunement).
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:55 am

"Occasionally throwing down a consecrate" is not "always doing 96969". Consecrate is PART of the regular 969 rotation.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Valker » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:04 am

Thanks for the tips so far guys. I take another look at the spec, I've been meaning to drop a point in improved judgements and pick up SOV for trash pulls anyway.
Valker

Postby Valker » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:17 am

KysenMurrin wrote: but almost every spell a Prot Paladin uses scales equally from Spellpower and Attack power, so TbtL actually works out to be one of the best threat talents in the tree.

I thought that the spells scaled with what ever was higher. Are you saying that spellpower and attackpower stack for my attacks? If so then that talent does look alot better :)
Valker

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:36 pm

The spells have damage calculated from both. For example, Seal of Vengeance deals this much per stack: [(0.013 * SPH + 0.025 * AP) * 5]
That is, (1.3% of your spellpower + 2.5% of your attack power) x 5.

I was a little off about "equally", they were at one point but kept getting tweaked.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Valker » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:06 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:The spells have damage calculated from both. For example, Seal of Vengeance deals this much per stack: [(0.013 * SPH + 0.025 * AP) * 5]
That is, (1.3% of your spellpower + 2.5% of your attack power) x 5.

I was a little off about "equally", they were at one point but kept getting tweaked.

Thanks agian, I just re did my spec a little and my threat made a nice jump. I am also loving the seal of command on aoe pulls, shoulda used that earlier.
Valker

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice