Remove Advertisements

4.3 Item Enhancement Guide

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: 4.0.1 Item Enhancement Guide

Postby Digren » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:32 am

I think there's enough information from Theck's analysis thread to compare the threat outputs of executioner and accuracy, then.

Executioner

Assume ~45% uptime for about 75 average crit rating. This is on the generous end of your analysis; more testing is necessary.

Theck's stat comparison indicates that every 10 points of crit rating yield about 13 DPS. Thus Executioner at the assumed up time should average about 97.5 DPS or 195 TPS.

Accuracy

100% uptime for 25 crit rating and 25 hit rating. The hit rating isn't valuable if you are over the cap, but with reforging you should never be over the cap. (Reforge some hit rating into mastery somewhere.)

Theck's stat comparison indicates that every 10 points of hit rating yield about 24 DPS. Thus Accuracy provides about 92.5 total DPS or 185 TPS.

Summary

Based on the limited data, it looks like Executioner can generate slightly more threat than Accuracy in situations where the proc rate is high. However it is unpredictable in that it provides uncontrolled bursts of threat. I don't know that 10 TPS is worth sacrificing the predictability of an always-on enchant.

I'll ask Theck to include Executioner in future simulations to generate more data over a larger range of weapons and stats.
Digren

Postby Digren » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:38 am

Mordral wrote:Executioner: 160 crit rating – changed from ArPen with 4.0.1

On live? Wowhead has it as 120 crit rating.

[Enchant Weapon - Executioner]

So does MMO Champ.

[Enchant Weapon - Executioner]

At 45% uptime it would thus yield only 54 crit rating. In this case it's not as good as Accuracy by a significant margin.
Digren

Postby steadypal » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:06 am

replacing 3 30 stam gems with 10dodge/stam in yellow sockets must have skewed my memory, i tested the macro before doing that, but anyways, 3x agi gems with kings 100.38 is what i get, with those 3 gems turned into parry 100.40, so i know agi doesnt provide the armor anymore, but would the small amount of crit make up for the measely .02 difference in avoidance that the parry gems give?
steadypal

Postby Mordral » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:44 pm

Digren wrote:On live? Wowhead has it as 120 crit rating.

Ok, fail. No idea on that one, I distinctly remember looking at the enchant scrolls in the bank and saying "Ok what? This procs how much?" and then using DBW to tell me how much crit % I gained from it. Not exactly my finest theorycrafting moment, but that is why I posted it and asked for review.
Mordral

Postby Digren » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:37 am

steadypal wrote:replacing 3 30 stam gems with 10dodge/stam in yellow sockets must have skewed my memory, i tested the macro before doing that, but anyways, 3x agi gems with kings 100.38 is what i get, with those 3 gems turned into parry 100.40, so i know agi doesnt provide the armor anymore, but would the small amount of crit make up for the measely .02 difference in avoidance that the parry gems give?

Probably, but I'm going to wait until I see the level 85 diminishing returns before I rewrite the guide to suggest agility over parry rating when a player's parry percent is [equal or higher than or some other threshold around] their dodge percent.
Digren

Postby daiceman » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:51 pm

You still have str/stam listed as the threat option for purple when exp/stam is nearly always a better option.
daiceman

Postby Discus » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:46 am

Fantastic guide and why I still come to Maintankadin, thanks.
Discus

Postby theckhd » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:27 pm

Sneak preview of the enchant/food analysis:

Code: Select all
                                          DPS
Enchant/food                            4%   8%
Titanium Weapon Chain                   66    0
Enchant Weapon - Potency                30   32
Enchant Weapon - Exceptional Agility    32   34
Enchant Weapon - Greater Potency        33   36
Enchant Weapon - Accuracy               93   36
Enchant Weapon - Berserking            119  128
Snapper Extreme                        126   34
Firecracker Salmon                      40   43
Blackened Dragonfin                     82   87
Poached Northern Sculpin                84   91
Dragonfin Filet                         92   99
Fish Feast                              93  100
Rhinolicious Wormsteak                 176  105

The DPS column lists the DPS gained from the enchant or food item in two configurations, the first at 4% Hit and 16 expertise and the second at 8% hit and 26 expertise. I'll have this up in graph/post form some time this weekend, after I've done some final sanity checks and get some time to write a proper post.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Digren » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:56 am

theckhd wrote:Sneak preview of the enchant/food analysis:

The DPS column lists the DPS gained from the enchant or food item in two configurations, the first at 4% Hit and 16 expertise and the second at 8% hit and 26 expertise. I'll have this up in graph/post form some time this weekend, after I've done some final sanity checks and get some time to write a proper post.

Thank you! My interpretation from your existing graphs led to a different conclusion for Berserking, so actual numbers is good.
Digren

Postby Dratheus » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:11 am

First I'd like to say that as a pretty freshly dinged 80 Prot Pally this guide was VERY helpful on giving me an idea of the direction I'm needing to head in this new 4.01 environment. Second. Second I'm wondering if you can possibly give me some advice on where to pick up hit rating. I'm at the soft expertise cap now but currently the only thing giving me hit rating is the enchant on my weapon. I know I could always reforge it but I'd really rather put all that into Mastery for block. With that being said, I am using only heroic dungeon or t10 gear from vendors, I know theres a few rings and such I can pick up in ICC for some hit, when I pick up the last piece or 2 of gear I need before I tank there.

And on a side note. Trinkets. I currently have. Corroded Skeleton Key. And The Black Heart. I'm really considering replacing Black Heart for Glyph of Indomitability. But I'm being told that Ick's Rotting Thumb and other dodge based trinkets are better then ones providing stamina and armor now. Any advice on which to keep and which to toss out for others?

Thank you mate any advice at all will be much appreciated
Dratheus

Postby Digren » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:57 am

Dratheus wrote:First I'd like to say that as a pretty freshly dinged 80 Prot Pally this guide was VERY helpful on giving me an idea of the direction I'm needing to head in this new 4.01 environment. Second. Second I'm wondering if you can possibly give me some advice on where to pick up hit rating. I'm at the soft expertise cap now but currently the only thing giving me hit rating is the enchant on my weapon. I know I could always reforge it but I'd really rather put all that into Mastery for block. With that being said, I am using only heroic dungeon or t10 gear from vendors, I know theres a few rings and such I can pick up in ICC for some hit, when I pick up the last piece or 2 of gear I need before I tank there.

And on a side note. Trinkets. I currently have. Corroded Skeleton Key. And The Black Heart. I'm really considering replacing Black Heart for Glyph of Indomitability. But I'm being told that Ick's Rotting Thumb and other dodge based trinkets are better then ones providing stamina and armor now. Any advice on which to keep and which to toss out for others?

Thank you mate any advice at all will be much appreciated

Unfortunately there isn't any place else to get hit rating, unless you're willing to sacrifice stamina or mastery for it. Fortunately you don't need it. Are you losing threat to DPS who wait for you to be in melee range or get an MD before they unload on the mob?

No? Then you're fine on threat.

Yes? Then figure out what's wrong with either your rotation or the players you play with. They shouldn't take mobs from you when it matters.

On trash, when everyone wants to be lazy (except healers, who want to not be bored), switch in alternative gear with hit rating and more expertize and such to boost your threat.

Regarding trinkets, I think those giving you advice are mistaken. Avoidance is more important now, yes, because it's necessary to get to the block cap to increase your effective health. Would I give up a little stamina or armor to get to the block cap? Yeah, probably by matching socket bonuses down to +6 sta. Would I give up a lot of armor or stamina for avoidance? No way. My guess is that those giving you advice are avoidance tanks who were dragged kicking and screaming into EH a year or two ago, and who now see this as a chance to reassert their preferred model.

When Cata releases and all our health bars bulge, the value of EH will reduce a bit further, I think leaving EH and avoidance about on par. But things shouldn't swing in drastic favor of avoidance and they certainly haven't done so yet, what with our small health pools and the still-massive size of ICC hits.
Digren

Re: 4.0.3a Item Enhancement Guide

Postby Digren » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:25 pm

I'm working my way through updating this for level 85. If you are looking for up-to-date advice for level 80 tanking, I'm sorry, the 80 raiding season is over, start hoarding Justice Points and wait for Cataclysm.

Be sure to take a look at my tank level and gear guide, which will include overall gear sets at each tank level (including item enhancements). You'll be able to see how the entire system fits together to make a solid tank.
Digren

Postby Digren » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:59 pm

Ok, everything is in place for the rush to level 85. It's certainly not perfect - there are places I know I lack the knowledge to make a final decision - but it took me most of the extended weekend just to get these posts in place. We can refine things moving forward.
Digren

Postby confedsg » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:11 am

What about Heavy Savage Armor Kit as an glove enchant :) You missed that 1 ^_^
confedsg

Postby Protigy » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:25 pm

Dropping by to give my thanks for your work! Excellent as always, Digren. :)
Protigy
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice