Remove Advertisements

4.2 Tank Stages and Cataclysm Gear Guide

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: 4.1 Tank Stages and Cataclysm Gear Guide

Postby Digren » Thu May 26, 2011 9:03 pm

lythac wrote:Using your weights and applying to gems - a single red socket with a +10 Mastery or +15sta bonus should be socketed with 40 mastery gem rather than 20 parry/20 Mastery (or 30 sta).

40 > 37.2 (20*0.36 + 20*1 + 10)

Wondering if a parry/dodge weight of 0.5 would be better which still leans heavily towards CTC but matches what most of us seem to be gemming.

40 mastery is more combat table coverage than 30 mastery and 20 parry. If you want CTC, don't half-ass it. Do it right. When you're block capped you can decide whether to push for more stamina, more avoidance, or more threat as a secondary goal.
Digren

Postby yappo » Fri May 27, 2011 3:06 am

Digren wrote:40 mastery is more combat table coverage than 30 mastery and 20 parry. If you want CTC, don't half-ass it. Do it right. When you're block capped you can decide whether to push for more stamina, more avoidance, or more threat as a secondary goal.

Jumping in here.

Trends in suggested changes on PTR would devalue CTC compared with MDR. Most likely we'll need one CTC and one MDR set if the 10 sec out of 30 active CD for +20% BV Holy Shield goes live.

A 'magic' fight with a constant back-ground noice of incoming white damage will certainly favour MDR, whereas a fast-hitting physical fight with a spiky profile should favour CTC.

I'm also factoring in the overall reduction of CTC more or less explicitly stated as one of the incoming changes with 4.2.
yappo

Postby lythac » Fri May 27, 2011 3:46 am

Digren wrote:
lythac wrote:Using your weights and applying to gems - a single red socket with a +10 Mastery or +15sta bonus should be socketed with 40 mastery gem rather than 20 parry/20 Mastery (or 30 sta).

40 > 37.2 (20*0.36 + 20*1 + 10)

Wondering if a parry/dodge weight of 0.5 would be better which still leans heavily towards CTC but matches what most of us seem to be gemming.

40 mastery is more combat table coverage than 30 mastery and 20 parry. If you want CTC, don't half-ass it. Do it right. When you're block capped you can decide whether to push for more stamina, more avoidance, or more threat as a secondary goal.

Yes 40 Mastery is more CTC than 30 Mastery and 20 Parry. But it goes against what you advise in your gem guide -

Match all socket bonuses when the bonus is 10 or more points of survivability or 15 or more points of stamina, or if a red gem is required to unlock a meta.
Mastery Heavy

Red Slot (with good bonus) : [Fine Ember Topaz] : +20 Parry Rating and +20 Mastery Rating : Jewelcrafting
Blue Slot (with good bonus) : [Puissant Dream Emerald] : +20 Mastery Rating and +30 Stamina : Jewelcrafting
Yellow or Colorless Slot (all*) : [Fractured Amberjewel] : +40 Mastery Rating : Jewelcrafting

Currently your gem guide and gear guide contradict each other for CTC/Mastery gearing/gemming. Maybe this would have been better to post in the gem guide.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Digren » Fri May 27, 2011 8:05 pm

Gem guide needs to be fixed, yeah. It's still based on a "let's be balanced and reasonable people because that has to be what Blizzard wants, right?" approach.
Digren

Postby boneyjellyfish » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:28 am

Heroic Ring of Rivalry no longer has any mastery on it and shouldn't be included in the ring section.
boneyjellyfish

Postby Digren » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:40 pm

Fixed, thanks!
Digren

Postby Matthias » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:27 pm

I ended up using http://www.wowhead.com/item=56364 for my weapon and found it to be a bit better than Heroic Sun strike with the slightly higher mastery over hit rating. Not sure if it got overlooked or if there is a reason I am missing that makes it less desirable.
Matthias

Postby econ21 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:52 pm

I just wanted to say this guide is superb, Digren. I've been following it from day one and the current presentation of the gear list is a work of art. Thanks!
econ21

Postby Biggby » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:35 am

Couple of specific questions. Came to the page 1 guide yesterday and was surprised to see some things had apparently changed. (I got distracted by PvP and lost track of my PvE gearing for a few weeks.) Didn't see my Unsolvable Riddle trinket at all (I'm working on Stage 3); saw my Ring of Three Lights was valued a few steps lower than the easily obtainable Red Rock Band; saw that I should take off my Sandguard Bracers and grab Terborus's Rotating Bands back out of my vault. But, then, on your Stage 3 guide on page 14, they are all reversed back to my original understanding. Which, honestly, makes more sense to me, but I want to be sure I'm not missing something. Thanks! I really appreciate the guide.
Biggby

Postby Aerron » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:40 am

Biggby wrote: Didn't see my Unsolvable Riddle trinket at all

That's the Agi one, right? (Impatience being the STR, iirc.) Probably taking it off the list in anticipation of the Agi changes in 4.2 (ie, no more Dodge from Agi so it's a useless stat for tanks.)
Aerron

Postby Digren » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:17 am

Biggby wrote:Couple of specific questions. Came to the page 1 guide yesterday and was surprised to see some things had apparently changed. (I got distracted by PvP and lost track of my PvE gearing for a few weeks.) Didn't see my Unsolvable Riddle trinket at all (I'm working on Stage 3); saw my Ring of Three Lights was valued a few steps lower than the easily obtainable Red Rock Band; saw that I should take off my Sandguard Bracers and grab Terborus's Rotating Bands back out of my vault. But, then, on your Stage 3 guide on page 14, they are all reversed back to my original understanding. Which, honestly, makes more sense to me, but I want to be sure I'm not missing something. Thanks! I really appreciate the guide.

I converted the recommendations from MDR to CTC, since everyone seems to prefer gearing for CTC anyway. Anything that is low on mastery but instead has a lot of avoidance took quite a hit, and avoidance is very poor for CTC.

The archived guide was before the conversion and has items rated for MDR.

Are you over the block cap? Are you aiming for the block cap? Then follow the new guide.
Digren

Postby Ashlilli » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:22 pm

Hey,
i see that this hasn't been updated in a while. Is there anyway that we have it updated. I would really appreciate it...or just verify that all the lastest is correct. I really love this site and have been using it ...but i have found a few updates on the enchants so on and so forth.

thanks
-Ashlilli-
May Lindler
What is life if not to be lived? What are tears if not to be shed? What is love if not to be loved?.....
What is Mt. Dew if not to be drank? What are Cheetoz if not to be eaten? What are video games if not to be played?.....
Such are the basic questions...of a gamer's life
Lindler-Gamer for Life
Ashlilli

Postby yappo » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:52 pm

Ashlilli wrote:Hey,
i see that this hasn't been updated in a while. Is there anyway that we have it updated. I would really appreciate it...or just verify that all the lastest is correct. I really love this site and have been using it ...but i have found a few updates on the enchants so on and so forth.

thanks
-Ashlilli-

Why don't we give Digren a break and wait another eight days ;)
yappo

Postby Digren » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:27 am

Ashlilli wrote:Hey,

thanks
-Ashlilli-

If you have an update to an enchant, please post it to the enchant thread.

Now that I'm a moderator, edits I make to posts don't update the "last edited date/time" stamp on the bottom of all posts, including my own. The gear guide actually got a huge revamp like two weeks ago. Other than the one ring mentioned a few posts back, I think everything is up to date.

And no, I don't plan to strip out the agility items until 4.2 goes live. Don't buy them if you don't want to replace them in a few weeks, but if you want the best you can get right now, they still are (for some situations).
Digren

Postby Audryana » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:16 pm

What happened to Tia's Grace (Heroic) being on the list for any trinket?
Audryana

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice