4.2 Tank Stages and Cataclysm Gear Guide

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: 4.0.6 Tank Stages and Cataclysm Gear Guide

Postby Boyfriend » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:08 am

I'm not nearly as far progressed as Treckie (8/13) but for me mastery has felt superior, as every death I remember was either the cause of a mistake on my part or an unblocked hit, I have around 7k less health than Treckie. It is however very different depending on bosses (Council is very bad for mastery for example) but overall I can say taking an unblocked hit consistently took me close to death, and a single block absorbs significantly more than the extra health from the stamina offers.

I however never went below ~168k health unbuffed, as I had gemmed all my 359 pieces for stamina and my 372 pieces for mastery, which resulted in more or less constant health as I was upgrading from 359 to 372.
Boyfriend
Maintankadonor

Postby tobit » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:56 am

Personally, I'm very excited for the shoulders and the swords, because it means that we should see their BoE equivalents drop in price. Sure, they're still better than the ZA/ZG drops, but the fact that there are alternatives that are almost as good should mean that the ones selling the BoEs have to be a little more modest with their asking prices.
tobit

Postby Dreydon » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:06 pm

Personally, I'd love to see a block cap set. I tried to build one in Chardev yesterday and just couldn't do it. Please take a look at my stage five model and suggest changes. What unbuffed ctc is needed to hit the cap?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/d ... n/advanced

My unbuffed CTC is 95.67. Elixir + Food buff + Kings + Battle Shout/Horn of Winter put me at 102.45
Dreydon

Re: Tank Stage 3: Geared to Start Raiding

Postby mclem » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:37 am

Samus wrote:Will be interesting to see how these items MMO has dug up from the new ZG and/or ZA rank...

Tank
Amulet of Protection

My gut feeling suggests that this one might well be superior to Ironstar Amulet. I do hope my DPS stops wanting the neck off Valiona really soon.
mclem

Re: Tank Stage 3: Geared to Start Raiding

Postby Samus » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:35 am

mclem wrote:
Samus wrote:Will be interesting to see how these items MMO has dug up from the new ZG and/or ZA rank...

Tank
Amulet of Protection

My gut feeling suggests that this one might well be superior to Ironstar Amulet. I do hope my DPS stops wanting the neck off Valiona really soon.

I have a simaler problem we've seen it drop all of 0 times and we always have at least 2 Hunters in the raid (some times 3) so I'm low on the list to get it :(
Samus - 80 - Human Female Prot Pally - The Hackett Clan
Samus

Postby Digren » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:46 pm

Dreydon wrote:
Personally, I'd love to see a block cap set. I tried to build one in Chardev yesterday and just couldn't do it. Please take a look at my stage five model and suggest changes. What unbuffed ctc is needed to hit the cap?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/d ... n/advanced

My unbuffed CTC is 95.67. Elixir + Food buff + Kings + Battle Shout/Horn of Winter put me at 102.45

Maybe I'm missing something (like you logged out in different trinkets), but I only count 86.41% unbuffed CTC.
Digren

Postby Dreydon » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:03 pm

Sorry, camped out in my unhittable set
Dreydon

Postby pogmothoin » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:09 am

Dodge must be around 1% lower than parry right? So they should scale like this 12%/13%, 14%/15%, so on and so forth correct?
pogmothoin

Postby Digren » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:11 pm

pogmothoin wrote:Dodge must be around 1% lower than parry right? So they should scale like this 12%/13%, 14%/15%, so on and so forth correct?

Dodge should be about 1% lower than parry, so that you are gaining optimal avoidance from your rating, including all usual buffs. More of either is always better, but usually if you are lopsided in some fashion you can make reforging choices to correct the discrepancy.
Digren

Postby Klorak » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:35 pm

Hey there, i just have one question as im about to start heroic raiding, is there any reason why the heroic version of necklace of strife Click me seems not to be mentioned in the heroic raid section ? Or did i miss on something important ? Thanks for ur answers
Last edited by Klorak on Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Klorak

Postby Digren » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:15 pm

Klorak wrote:Hey there, i just have on question as im about to start heroic raiding, is there any reason why the heroic version of necklace of strife Click me seems to be not mentioned in the heroic raid section ? Or did i miss on something important ? Thanks for ur answers

I added it. Wowhead didn't report its drop location when I last did a full review, and I would rather not list something that drops than list something not available to players.

Thanks!
Digren

Postby boneyjellyfish » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:15 pm

Is there a CTC gain in going from heroic Tia's Grace to Unsolvable Riddle? If so, is it too trivial to be worth it?

Unsolvable Riddle:
321 mastery
1605 agility for 20 sec/2 min cooldown (average of +268 agility)

Tia's Grace
285 mastery
340 agility on average (assuming 100% uptime, which is usually the case)

So you gain 36 mastery but lose 72 agility. What does this mean in terms of raw CTC? Any net gain?
boneyjellyfish

Postby Firann » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:24 pm

Hello :)

I was wondering how does the crafted tanking chest stack up to now that it has a socket? Its still ranked last in Stage 4 but shouldn't it be closer to the top near t11 chest? :)

Cheers!
Firann

Postby Digren » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:10 pm

Firann wrote:Hello :)

I was wondering how does the crafted tanking chest stack up to now that it has a socket? Its still ranked last in Stage 4 but shouldn't it be closer to the top near t11 chest? :)

Cheers!

The Hardened Elementium Hauberk? It's ranking reflects the addition of the gem socket. It sucks regardless, due to the lack of mastery and large budget wasted in useless expertise.

As shown in the ranking, the crafted DPS piece is still better due to its mastery. Each of the remaining pieces ranked above either has mastery, or has some of its strength budget converted into an extra large pile of avoidance.
Digren

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice