4.2 Tank Stages and Cataclysm Gear Guide

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: 4.0.3a Tank Stages and Cataclysm Gear Guide

Postby Cosain » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:15 pm

Thanks! OK, as a follow-up... From a Stage 3 perspective, does this put either of the crafted breastplates above (Hardened or Deathplate) Chestplate of the Steadfast and Beauty's? If possible I would love to save the JP on Steadfast and avoid relying on RNG for Beauty's. That way I can concentrate on saving for the T11 chest.

Thanks again!
Cosain

Postby yappo » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:20 am

Cosain wrote:Thanks! OK, as a follow-up... From a Stage 3 perspective, does this put either of the crafted breastplates above (Hardened or Deathplate) Chestplate of the Steadfast and Beauty's? If possible I would love to save the JP on Steadfast and avoid relying on RNG for Beauty's. That way I can concentrate on saving for the T11 chest.

Thanks again!

Assuming you're doing your daily random, well, daily, 'saving' JP really isn't an issue.

Theck will probably come up with some hard numbers after he's ceased steaming (he swapped from dumping numbers to venting frustrations in another thread in a way I've never seen before) about the unannounced change to HP-generation. Anyway, now when that change IS upon us, the crafted chest is no longer AS disgustingly horrible as it was before. The gem-slot, as I've stated earlier, mitigated this even further.

All in all my personal (key word 'personal') feeling is that if your gear-level has you making picks between the crafted chest and the JP one, then it's probably a toss-up right now.

As a comparision I've abstained from the crafted chest (and have since then amassed enough VP to shop the T11), but when I saw the BoE with hit-rating on the AH for 6k gold, I bought it immediately. While hit-rating is worse for handling HP-generation compared to expertise, I felt a bigger need of a tanking piece that once and for all fixed those fights where I risk having to handle interrupts while tanking. I still don't have the crafted chest, even though I am a BS and have learned the plan a long time ago.
yappo

Postby Cosain » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:33 am

Thanks for the help!
Cosain

Postby Dem » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:33 pm

A lot of us have been managing on less than 3% hit to focus on damage mitigation whilst healers gear up. Even in 10 man, it's easily possible to assign dps to interrupts. Probably the most important fights for tank interrupts are Chogall (adds) and Maloriak. In both cases dps can interrupt and where they can't you have shield throw, hammer and now rebuke + arcane torrent if you're horde.

With this in mind hit rating still isn't critical if you're having survival problems and the tier chest and 4 set bonus is still very strong.
Dem

Re: 4.0.6 Tank Stages and Cataclysm Gear Guide

Postby Cosain » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:10 am

Sorry to be a pain. But I just picked up Shard of Pirouetting Happiness (http://us.battle.net/wow/en/item/68172) from the seasonal fight and reforged the Hit to Mastery. That gives it 168/252 Str/Stam along with 128 Dodge/51 Hit/34 Mastery. My question is... I now have enough justice points to get The Lustrous Eye but it seems to me that the seasonal drop is slightly better. It isn't on the list that I saw (prob due to the seasonal nature). Where does this neck fit in? Should I save the points for a diff piece?

Thanks for the help!
Cosain

Postby Håvard » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:25 am

Hey, correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't seen any mention here of the TB commendation axe added in 4.06:

[Darkheart Hacker]

Imo it seems to be a direct upgrade to the Twilight Highlands quest mace, and a logical next step for people who don't want to wait for particular drops.
Havard, 80 Blood Elf Paladin, US Moon Guard
Håvard, 60 Human Paladin, US Moon Guard
Håvard

Postby Digren » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:03 pm

Cosain wrote:Sorry to be a pain. But I just picked up Shard of Pirouetting Happiness (http://us.battle.net/wow/en/item/68172) from the seasonal fight and reforged the Hit to Mastery. That gives it 168/252 Str/Stam along with 128 Dodge/51 Hit/34 Mastery. My question is... I now have enough justice points to get The Lustrous Eye but it seems to me that the seasonal drop is slightly better. It isn't on the list that I saw (prob due to the seasonal nature). Where does this neck fit in? Should I save the points for a diff piece?

Thanks for the help!

Now that it drops I need to put it back on the list. It falls right around the Elementium Guardian or Mountain's Mouth - i.e. tied for second place.
Digren

Postby Cosain » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:35 pm

Thanks! I'll save my JP for the Chest then...
Cosain

Postby 99sitr » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:20 pm

Dem wrote:A lot of us have been managing on less than 3% hit to focus on damage mitigation whilst healers gear up. Even in 10 man, it's easily possible to assign dps to interrupts. Probably the most important fights for tank interrupts are Chogall (adds) and Maloriak. In both cases dps can interrupt and where they can't you have shield throw, hammer and now rebuke + arcane torrent if you're horde.

With this in mind hit rating still isn't critical if you're having survival problems and the tier chest and 4 set bonus is still very strong.

If I recall correctly Hammer of Justice no longer interrupts npc's that are immune to stun. This was changed when Blizzard gave us Rebuke in 4.0.6.
99sitr

Postby th3m » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:07 pm

Digren what do you think of Tia's Grace Trinket?

http://www.wowhead.com/item=56394

Provides good junk of mastery, and you have like constant 340 agility up.
I think it should be somewhere in the list :D
th3m

Postby econ21 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:26 am

th3m wrote:Digren what do you think of Tia's Grace Trinket?

I am not Digren, but to chime in - I think it's a wonderful trinket. The 10 stacks of agility work out at around 1% dodge and as you say, in practice, they are effectively up all the time. It's very close to the best 346 trinket for melee damage reduction and I suspect it may be the best of all trinkets for constant CTC. (You may get more on average from trinkets that have proc or on use features, but I think with CTC constant uptime is particularly important - the whole point is to avoid damage spikes.)

I use it for my default 5 man gear, where I place a premium on CTC. For raiding, I would tend to use a stamina trinket and the stamina/resistance one from TB. But if I were ever to get into spitting distance of 102.4% CTC, I would be using this.
econ21

Postby Digren » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:20 am

th3m wrote:Digren what do you think of Tia's Grace Trinket?

http://www.wowhead.com/item=56394

Provides good junk of mastery, and you have like constant 340 agility up.
I think it should be somewhere in the list :D

It's a good trinket. Non-alchemists should be carrying it to end game, where it can be used along side a Baradin's trinket in a CTC-focused gear set. As I recommend one mastery and one stamina trinket in a "typical" base set, non-alchemists should see it just behind the Baradin's mastery option(s) as next best in slot.
Digren

Postby Digren » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:19 pm

Ok, with Chardev working, I've created models for gear at every stage. All that are missing are a few threat models (showing how a survival set can be turned into a threat set by substituting a few key pieces) and maybe a block-capped model for stage five end-game.

I welcome feedback and bug corrections.
Digren

Re: Tank Stage 3: Geared to Start Raiding

Postby Gaxby » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:32 am

Digren wrote:Threat (Expertise Rating)

[Left Eye of Rajh] : Expertise + Avoidance : Halls of Origination (Heroic) Rajh
[Magnetite Mirror] : Expertise + Threat : The Stonecore (Heroic) High Priestess Azil
[Left Eye of Rajh] : Expertise + Avoidance : Halls of Origination (Normal) Rajh

You listed Left Eye of Rajh twice at the end of the Stage 3 Tank section.
Gaxby, Energizer Pally of Grim Batol
Gaxby

Postby Syncognition » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:43 am

He listed the normal and heroic versions.
Syncognition

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice