Looking to start ICC

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Looking to start ICC

Postby Amadéus » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:50 am

Hi

I have followed your guides as far as I can, and now I want to get into ICC.

I would like to know how far I could reasonably expect to go with this gear, assuming no drops are forthcoming...

On a side note great site, loads of info on here :D
Armory link: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... ad%C3%A9us

I will be getting another +51stam gem tomorrow when I do the JC daily.
Amadéus

Re: Looking to start ICC

Postby beornus » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:23 am

You are in good shape just beginning ICC Raiding. You are geared for at least the Spire (first 4 Bosses), Val, Rot and probably Fester (3d inhale hurts). The issue may be how well geared/competent the rest of the raid is and how good your healers are in particular, but you can clear half the instance with the gear you have now assuming competent raidmates, more if they are good.
beornus
Maintankadonor

Postby sculder » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:44 am

with the 30% buff you could get to LK in 10 or 25 man with the gear you've got, the problem is filling a raid with people who know how to execute fights properly. With the right knowledge, gear becomes less of an issue. Assuming an average pug comp with similar gear to yours, you could expect to get half way through icc 25 and most of the way through a 10 man, if not all the way through.
sculder

Postby Amadéus » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:55 pm

Thanks

Did ICC tonight, got 6/12 down no problems.
Couple of wipes on council but set for another run tomorrow when people have had some sleep lol.
Hoping to down putricide, council and possibly blood queen down. Looking at the group and the amount of damage I was taking/healing I was getting, I doubt we'll get much further.
Amadéus

Postby econ21 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:24 am

I am not sure I would worry about the ammount of damage and healing going on; in ICC, things hit like a truck. (Particularly, princes if you are tanking two bosses). It's only an issue if the healers are close to going oom or you to dieing. To judge your group, I'd be more inclined to look at their dps - PUGing 25 man, it seems that is the biggest factor in determining the ease of the run. But what is more important is the perseverance and willingness to learn of your group (you are much more likely to clear ICC - eventually - with a guild than in PUGs).

For what it is worth, my guild found princes the biggest roadblock in ICC10 - there is just so much going on. Putricide was not as bad as I feared - it was mainly a challenge for the abom tank, which wasn't me. Sindragose P3 was the other big roadblock after Princes.
econ21

Postby Amadéus » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:22 am

Ah ok, well the group dps was between 5 and 8k per player, seems no one dropped below 5k :)

Although it was a PuG, the majority of the group was from a guild who had pugged a tank, healer and dps.

I will wait and see what happens this evening :)
Amadéus

Postby Amadéus » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:56 pm

Looks like you were right and I was wrong (again) 11 down with a couple of silly wipes on Sindra, then LK P1 and P1.5 no prob and wipe on P2.

Trying again Monday :)

One final thing, I have looked at alot of the threads here, but can anyone link a purchase list, with priority.
I see plenty of gear lists, but unsure if its a case of 'buy these when you can' or if there is a order that they are suggested to be purchased in.
I got the crafted boots, wrists and legs already though..
Amadéus

Postby econ21 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:29 am

Amadéus wrote:One final thing, I have looked at alot of the threads here, but can anyone link a purchase list, with priority.

I am not sure purchase lists are very sensible, as the priority depends on what you already have in each slot. You do have a fairly standard "pre-ICC" gear set, but on the other hand you picked up a nice ICC10 chest. Often, I'd recommend the Cataclysmic Chestguard as a frost purchase but given your chest, it might be pushed down the list a bit.

You already have the frost cloak, which is high on most people's list. I suggest that if you do the maths, the verdigis chain belt would be the biggest upgrade in effective health per frost emblem for you (and most pre-ICC folk tbh), so that would now be #1.

Then I suspect the gloves of the Kraken is at #2.

#3 is where I would normally think of the chest. The Corroded Skeleton Key is another option - it's the best "failsafe" tanking trinket imo. But especially with the brewfest on, it's not that big an upgrade. It's going to be a close call between the chest and CSK for which is #3 and which #4 for you.

After that, you are looking at T10. The T10 stuff is not that attractive at itemlevel 251. The 2pc bonus is nice for threat but that's probably not your priority. For #5 and #6, I would get the T10 shoulders and helm. If you don't get drops, the helm may get the nod. But try to run ICC25 in a PUG, as the second boss drops a very nice helm.

Basically, what I suggest is look at the effective health upgrade for each slot[1], divided by the number of frost emblems, and buy first what gives the biggest bang for your buck.

[1] You might approximate effective health by equating 10 armour value to 1 stamina (or thereabouts).
econ21

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice