Remove Advertisements

Back after a year... need some advice....

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Back after a year... need some advice....

Postby Erutaron » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:19 am

So, I quit playing wow last Sept. The game was no longer fun, so I took a break.

Last night I reactivated my account, and was essentially lost. My current intention is to grind heroics until for badges to buy all the BoA pieces I can get my hands on (ie: all of them)

I think my gear/enchants/gems are fine for tanking 5mans, since I was tanking Ulduar just before I quit. But would like some opinions from those who have been playing all this time.

Armory Link

Is there anything I am missing, or something you would change? Gear/gems/enchants/spec/glyphs?

I know I am over defense cap for 5mans, and have some other gear in my bags that I can switch (but not a lot) for more threat/block/dodge/etc..... this is just what I logged out in.

Will I have any trouble with any of the 5mans (consider I don't have experience in the ToC & ICC 5mans), even if partied with ICC geared DPS. Is there any gear specifically that I should be looking for from them? I was looking thru the loot tables yesterday, but had no idea what I was currently using to compare against (will be comparing today).

Any additional help would be appreciated. I missed my paladin and can't wait to get back into the swing of things.
Erutaron

Re: Back after a year... need some advice....

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:43 am

Erutaron wrote: My current intention is to grind heroics until for badges to buy all the BoA pieces I can get my hands on (ie: all of them)

Why? What do you need the BOAs for? Alts?
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Erutaron » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:44 am

Yes Alts....

I am going to be xfering to a different server and leveling alts with friends when Cata launches. Since they have the BoA gear, I need to get up to speed. Thus why I reactivated earlier then Cata. I will be leveling my tank in Cata since I have enjoyed him in Beta thus far (even though they have been severely broken).

Figure I can tank some 5mans, get me back into the swing of things on my tank, while collected the badges for BoA gear as well.
Erutaron

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:56 am

I had a very brief look at your armory... you'll be able to upgrade a lot just by running randoms for Triumph badgers. Your health and gear may be too low for the new ICC heroics. I'm not even sure if the dungeon finder would let you in based on your overall gear.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Erutaron » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:04 am

Thanks Nika
Erutaron

Postby econ21 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:04 pm

In terms of spec, you are missing seal of command which is now awesome for heroic tanking. Pursuit of justice is very useful (I like to make the "gogogo" brigade run). I would drop benediction to free up the points and put the 4th freed up point into improved judgements. Mana isn't really an issue for us, if you keep up divine plea and don't spam consecration.

In terms of gear, if you want to use emblems for BoA items that will really cut down your options as emblem gear is far better than drops. You might consider first getting decent gear from emblems then using spare emblems for BOA items. Take a look at Yappo's failsafe gearing guide if you want to see what you can get from emblems.

You already have item level 200 gear, so "normal" heroic drops don't offer much for you - you would need to run the new 5-mans, both normal and heroic, for upgrades. Some drops I would prioritise are the Black Heart (from ToC normal - so you can farm it), the Essence of Gossamer (from an old heroic) and weapon upgrades from the ICC 5 mans(Rimefang's claw is probably the ultimate, although I ended up using Nighttime as slow dps weapons are great for threat).

If you have gold, there is a lot of very nice crafted gear available - specifically 245 chest and bracers, 264 legs and feet.

One thing I would recommend is consider getting your BOA gear from Champion's Seals earned by doing Argent Tournament dailies. They also give you the cash needed for the crafted gear and/or weapon enhancements you will need.

Also look into PVP gear - running Wintergrasp quests and winning victories can give you significant amounts of honour which you can use to buy wrathful and relentless offpieces. They are not bad for tanking. Also the BOA PVP gear is not bad - I am using the gun and shoulders on my young warrior. IIRC, I used stone keeper shards - acquired from doing heroics while your side holds WG - to buy that. Honour and shards can also buy you epic gems.
econ21

Postby Giggitygoo » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:01 am

Yes Alts....

I am going to be xfering to a different server and leveling alts with friends when Cata launches.

Pretty sure I read somewhere that all current BOA items only last till level 80. Are your alts 80? If so you don't need BOA items. If not, then why you waiting till cata launch? :?
Shutting the f**k up as of 14/09/2010.
Giggitygoo

Postby Barathorn » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:02 am

I am going to be xfering to a different server and leveling alts with friends when Cata launches. Since they have the BoA gear, I need to get up to speed. Thus why I reactivated earlier then Cata. I will be leveling my tank in Cata since I have enjoyed him in Beta thus far (even though they have been severely broken).

Figure I can tank some 5mans, get me back into the swing of things on my tank, while collected the badges for BoA gear as well.

Pretty sure I read somewhere that all current BOA items only last till level 80. Are your alts 80? If so you don't need BOA items. If not, then why you waiting till cata launch?

Perhaps the levelling with friends on a server transfer is the reason Erutaron wants the BOA items as everyone will have new characters and they don't want to be subject to any xp deficit from not having BOA +10% exp items.

Seems pretty reasonable to me.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Digren » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:37 am

If you plan to shelve this character when Cata launches, then improve your own gear only to the point that you can get in and run ICC 5-mans easily. At that point start working on BOA gear and cash for your alts.
Digren

Postby Feanorion » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:45 am

Erutaron wrote:Yes Alts....

My advice? Bang out enough badges for the ilvl 232 tier 9 gear with the Faceplate of the Honorbound (or whatever its called, the ilvl 245 badge tanking helm) instead of the tier helm. Get the Spiked Deathdealers crafted for boots and the Indestructible Plate Girdle belt; they require lowly Runed Orbs, and should be dirt-cheap by now. Get the Clutch of Fortification ring and the Glyph of Indomitability trinket with Triumph badges. Farm H PoS at this point for Rimefang's Claw or H HoR for Falric's Wrist Chopper. RFC is easier to get, and a better weapon, but for heroics, FWC does have Block on it, so for your specific needs might be slightly better.

Gem and enchant properly (i.e., not Armsman on gloves; use +18 stamina armor kit) and you'll be good. At this point, you can even farm the ICC 10 Lower Spire for more Frosties and for even better gear. Assuming Frost Badges will be spent on the cloak, belt, and the Corroded Skeleton Key, the items to look for in ICC 10 are:

1) Lord Marrowgar: Marrowgar's Scratching Choker http://www.wowhead.com/item=50763 and the Bonebreaker scepter http://www.wowhead.com/item=50760

2) Lady Deathwhisper: Ghoul Commander's Cuirass http://www.wowhead.com/item=50786

3) Gunship Battle (a.k.a. "Lootship): Neverending Winter http://www.wowhead.com/item=50794 which is in my opinion the most important tanking drop in the Lower Spire because of the dearth of other decent shields available. The Abomination's Bloody Ring http://www.wowhead.com/item=50790 also drops, but is inferior to both the Clutch of Fortification (which has bonus armor) and the Ashen Verdict rep ring. Take it if it drops, but replace it with the rep ring as soon as you hit Exalted.

4) Deathbringer Saurfang: Gargoyle Spit Bracers http://www.wowhead.com/item=50802 are actually better than the 25 man bracers, and are the best in the game outside of hard modes. The Deathforged Legplates http://www.wowhead.com/item=50808 also drop, and are good unless/until you have the Pillars of Might crafted (in your case, the PoM are unnecessary--- but still sexxayyy).

All 4 of these fights are easily puggable, are a lot of fun, provide really nice gear, and give you some current raid experience. With the 30% zone buff, these 4 fights are no harder than the ICC 5-mans, and arguably easier than H HoR.

Good luck.
Feanorion

Postby Barathorn » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:35 am

Excellant advice.

However the OP clearly stated he was grinding badges for BoA items for alts so the summary wasn't required.

:wink:
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Feanorion » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:28 pm

Barathorn wrote:Excellant advice.

However the OP clearly stated he was grinding badges for BoA items for alts so the summary wasn't required.

:wink:

True enough. I get antsy not being as geared as possible, even on farming toons. The above was given from my personal perspective: top out tier 9, then grind more triumphs for BoA, and have fun at the same time getting reasonable frosty buys and easy ICC 10 drops. With the impatient and often unskilled dps'ers who have been often carried to good gear, being at least t-9 equipped will make the grind much less subject to unpleasant episodes. And the ICC gear? Well, even though he plans to shelve the toon in Cata, the best laid plans oft go astray. He might enjoy tanking ICC 10. My hope is that the OP has a better time and more fun in the wind-down phase than he anticipated, and that getting the BoA's is less of a grind.
Feanorion

Postby Barathorn » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:07 am

I understand your point, but the OP was pretty clear that wasn't what he wanted to do, time will tell I guess :D .

Barathorn

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice