Yea or Nay - Dodge Librams and Trinkets in ICC

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Yea or Nay - Dodge Librams and Trinkets in ICC

Postby branwell » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:23 pm

Haya,

A question if I may.
With the Dodge kill in ICC, is it worth purposely carrying anything with Dodge into ICC?

For example. If you had to choose between:

Libram of the Sacred Shield

or

Libram of Defiance

Would you take the one with Block or the one with Dodge?

Thanks,
branwell

Re: Yea or Nay - Dodge Librams and Trinkets in ICC

Postby yappo » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:35 am

branwell wrote:Haya,

A question if I may.
With the Dodge kill in ICC, is it worth purposely carrying anything with Dodge into ICC?

For example. If you had to choose between:

Libram of the Sacred Shield

or

Libram of Defiance

Would you take the one with Block or the one with Dodge?

Thanks,

I would take the one with strength :D
yappo

Postby Barathorn » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:44 am

Avoidance while useful is simply not a necessity in ICC for a Paladin as far as the general consensus goes.

I have the strength libram, I only unequip it for the block libram for SoC on trash. I don't own the dodge libram. I don't intend to either.

This may be different for hard modes for some people although from what I have been told it isn't.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Meloree » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:25 am

Barathorn wrote:Avoidance while useful is simply not a necessity in ICC for a Paladin as far as the general consensus goes.

I have the strength libram, I only unequip it for the block libram for SoC on trash. I don't own the dodge libram. I don't intend to either.

This may be different for hard modes for some people although from what I have been told it isn't.

I would clarify. Avoidance already comes in plentiful quantities on gear, you get "enough" of it naturally, you don't need to specifically gem/enchant/libram for it. That said, on bosses that are killing you, avoidance libram is something that's worth having in the bag.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Fiaraa » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:36 pm

Str libram all the way.

Too bad we can't use the 264 one. =(
Fiaraa

Postby towelliee » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:50 am

I run the 245 Strength Libram
towelliee

Postby exiledknight » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:49 am

The avoidance libram for anything that stands a high risk of killing you(fester, sindy, PP p3)and all progression. The str is more threat and some BV and threat should be a non issue, short of if you are tanking both Hallion and the Inferno in p1, or if your guild wont listen and insist you go to the twilight realm then also in p3....
exiledknight

Postby Suzytincan » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:26 pm

My 2 copper (probably worth less than that since I only tank ICC 10, and usually on normal):

I use the strength/vengence libram for bosses and the crit/command libram for trash 99% of the time in ICC. My death is rarely the cause of a wipe... and when it is (like getting bounced off of LK's platform for not paying attention to where an orb is), the libram wouldn't have helped.

The only time I use the dodge libram is for Saurfang, but even then its not necessary. We still do it on normal, so he probably only gets to about 60% blood power. I still don't think we'd get a mark if I changed it up. I just like gearing for a fight. Its fun to me.
Suzytincan - 70 BE Paladin, Blackhand, US
0/55/6
Suzytincan

Postby masterpoobaa » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:32 pm

Yup.
In my experience once you get past around 25% dodge and 20% parry extra avoidance really doesn't do anything noticeable.
IE i245 and above gear.

Sure you might get hit a percent or two more often, but (decent) healers are spamming heals anyway so no-one ever notices.

99.8% of wipes I've seen in ICC are NOT due to a tank eating 3-4 unlucky strikes in a row and hitting the dirt. Nor is it due to healers going OOM having to heal you too much.

Get the +200 strength Triumph badge libram for win.
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby Feanorion » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:17 am

Meloree wrote:
Barathorn wrote:Avoidance while useful is simply not a necessity in ICC for a Paladin as far as the general consensus goes.

I would clarify. Avoidance already comes in plentiful quantities on gear, you get "enough" of it naturally, you don't need to specifically gem/enchant/libram for it. That said, on bosses that are killing you, avoidance libram is something that's worth having in the bag.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Never fall in love with using one thing all the time regardless of circumstances. I use the Strength libram mostly, but I do use the Dodge libram on hard-hitting stuff.
Feanorion

Postby Barathorn » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:32 am

Feanorion wrote:
Meloree wrote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Never fall in love with using one thing all the time regardless of circumstances. I use the Strength libram mostly, but I do use the Dodge libram on hard-hitting stuff.

There isn't any hard hitting stuff at this stage of the expansion with the 30% buff. There certainly wasn't in July either which is when this thread was relevant.

My point stands, threat is more important than anything else for current normal modes. It has been since ICC10 was released and the buff reached 10%.

I would agree with you that keeping an open mind is the ideal but in this case its not a difficult choice to understand why that Libram was picked over the alternatives back then and indeed even now.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice