Case Study #1 - Gearing upto ICC10 entry as a new 80 Tank

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: Case Study #1 - Gearing upto ICC10 entry as a new 80 Tank

Postby Barathorn » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:46 am

Marblehead wrote:If I'm not mistaken, normal ICC 5-man bosses drop EoTs too.

That would really help. I still think I need to hit double random from here on in and I have I must confess already run instances for 50 minutes today but won't have chance to get the reports posted until later. I didn't do a random today. I picked an ICC5 normal and a specific Heroic VH as ToC5 Heroic was locked.

I may have to use some raid time to do some randoms this week. I currently have 10 minutes in the bank time wise.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Gamingdevil » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:57 am

Marblehead wrote:If I'm not mistaken, normal ICC 5-man bosses drop EoTs too.

They do indeed.
If it is weak, kill it before it gets stronger. If it is strong, weaken it.
Gamingdevil

Postby Digz » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:19 am

Wow have to say this thread is a really enjoyable read. I look forward to jumping on here daily and checking out what you've been up to.

Seems to me if the badges are an issue you might have to zero in on more of the crafted pieces.

I might have missed it but is there and armory link for you?
Digz

Postby Shoju » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:48 am

I have a feeling that there is no armory link on purpose
Shoju

Postby Digz » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:08 am

Shoju wrote:I have a feeling that there is no armory link on purpose

Yeah I thought something was mentioned like that but I'm feeling too lazy today to go back and read it all. :D
Digz

Postby Arincia » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:49 pm

I think i would que your specific as H ToC or FoS (normal). Then add in a random que after that. Assuming 20 minutes to clear either that still gives you 40 minutes to possibly be clearing 1-2 other heroics. ID not finish the quest to unlock HoR until your ready to farm for a shield from normal. But if you drop mining the randoms themselves will fund any non epic gems and enchants (now that head is done).Either way you have the potential to get 1 specific Heroic and 2 randoms. It may go over by 5 minutes but you should allow some lea way on that. (or account for it next run like you have been.)
Arincia

Postby Barathorn » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:56 pm

Arincia wrote:I think i would que your specific as H ToC or FoS (normal). Then add in a random que after that. Assuming 20 minutes to clear either that still gives you 40 minutes to possibly be clearing 1-2 other heroics. ID not finish the quest to unlock HoR until your ready to farm for a shield from normal. But if you drop mining the randoms themselves will fund any non epic gems and enchants (now that head is done).Either way you have the potential to get 1 specific Heroic and 2 randoms. It may go over by 5 minutes but you should allow some lea way on that. (or account for it next run like you have been.)

This is a good idea. I am fairly certain I can get through HToC5 and Normal FoS in 40 minutes and then hit a random to up my badge income.

The issue with the crafted pieces is that there are really only 5 crafted pieces that are going to give me the ilevel I need, Legs/Bootsx2/Chest/Belt and they are all a long way out of my price range. I think I have to look elsewhere for options unless I can suddenly find a huge amount of gold.

In response to an earlier question, my armory link will be provided at the end of the 24 days :wink: .

Barathorn
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Digz » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:06 am

Quest, quest, quest... :)

Do you use any kind of quest helper mod like James to help blow through them efficiently?

I notice there are times you spend chunks of time mining. I would skip that and spend that time questing. You should find plenty of mines as you go.
Digz

Postby Barathorn » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:35 pm

Digz wrote:Quest, quest, quest... :)

Do you use any kind of quest helper mod like James to help blow through them efficiently?

I don't. I have never used a quest helper mod of any type. It probably would be a great help in this endeavor but I decided fairly early on to run as basic as you could get, that way it gives a consistent baseline for the study.

I notice there are times you spend chunks of time mining. I would skip that and spend that time questing. You should find plenty of mines as you go.

Very true, however in the early hours of level 80 I needed the saronite to convert via a friendly alchemist to titanium and then to titansteel. This enabled me to get Saronite Swordbreakers and Titansteel Shield very early on in the process. It may not have been efficient but in a wierd way as a blacksmith I only want crafted items with my name on it.

Barathorn

Postby Barathorn » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:55 pm

Day 12

Firstly sorry for not updating this blog yesterday, time ran away with me so for those who come and look at this thread daily, I apologise.

I feel good. I feel like a tank. I am aware there are gaps in my gear but in general I am very happy with how things are progressing. I am worried that I won't be able to reach my goal in the time allowed but I am enjoying myself and am giving it my all. I know I can do this. I don't know if I can do this in the allotted time though.

I decide against a random heroic. I know I will lose the 2 EoF but I need the comfort zone my gear allows. In hindsight I should have run a random [see my earlier post about the lack of badges I can acquire] but I don't and instead queue for

Heroic Violet Hold

Group Comp - Me/Priest/Hunter/Elemental Shaman/Feral Druid.

Drops - 3 EoT, 7 Infinite Dust, 1 Dream Shard, Lavantor's Talisman [YES YES YES!]

I vigilance the druid. I know that kitty DPS played well will rip aggro straight off me. This druid is good at kitty DPS and I barely hold aggro on pretty much every pull. We get the Dog as the second boss and the Talisman drops. Finally I get a drop! I replace my awful trinket with it. I am very happy! My Auctions sell while I am running the instance making me even more happy. I don't need to come in here again now. I probably didn't need to anyway, but I like that trinket a lot.

Misdirects? You must be kidding.

I have 35 minutes left. I am up to 400 gold! I could do a random. I don't. I queue for

Normal Forge of Souls

Group Comp - Me/Priest/Lock/2 X Elemental Shaman

Drops - Boots, Lucky Old Sun, 20 Slot Bag, 2 EoF for completing Jaina's Quest.

WOOT!

The run is epic. These are people all about my gear level who are chatty, fun to instance with and who have a basic understanding of their class. We MURDER this instance. I don't make a single mistake, the healer is awesome and the DPS target the right marked target consistantly. This is PuGing as it should be. I am elated. The drops are brilliant for me, but in truth the group made this a special run.

I don't realise quite how special the run really is until the end of the run when the priest simply says 'Thank you for being an awesome tank'. I almost have a tear in my eye. Almost. I wish I took a note of their names, this has been an amazing experiance and my morale is through the roof.

I am looking pretty damn good. I am hovering around 538 defense but I find out after equipping Lucky Old Sun that all is not well when the blue writing says 'Your mace skill has increased to 57'.

Bollocks. :lol: Now I need to find time to level Mace Skill.

Barathorn

Postby yappo » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:50 pm

Barathorn wrote:
I am looking pretty damn good. I am hovering around 538 defense but I find out after equipping Lucky Old Sun that all is not well when the blue writing says 'Your mace skill has increased to 57'.

Bollocks. :lol: Now I need to find time to level Mace Skill.

Oh dear :D

Try combining grinding with grinding. You probably have some kill X mobs quests to do. That way at least you get a pitiful extra cash for your boredom.

I seem to recall hiking up my axe-skill that way half an eternity ago. Believe I went Ragemane-mace, Infantry something blade, RSoC and then getting the AT axe.

Grats on the Sun anyway. Grading RSoC/AT-axe to Peacekeeper's sure made my own day when it happened.
yappo

Postby hoho » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:13 am

Equip two fast vendor maces and kill some mobs. Yes, you'll take a bit more damage but it should be manageable. You can also use a mace in offhand slot with high-skilled weapon in MH so you kill stuff faster.

Then again that tank mace is pretty fast already so vendor thingy might not be worth much.
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby Arincia » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:26 am

5-10 minutes on the trees below dal should get you to 300-350 at that point any heroic it would be safe to start using the mace in heroics and let it cap out naturally. I think you should sit down and think about 24 hours play time to be in ICC. My warrior after 24 hours play time still has neck/waist/feet/1 ring/ and armor trinket (got stam trinket from toc 5 norm and H AN). Those 2 extra emblems per run add up fast. However i also started with 245 boe chest/wrist and crafted shield. (with other 150-200 crafted blue gear. Anyways I'd wager it will take me still another 2-4 hours of grinding heroics to get the remaining emblem gear. If i didn't have the starting boe's and help for enchants starting out it would probably take me another 6-8 hours of upfront time to get to that same point. Then you have random drops to try for as well this makes it even messier. Anyways as a suggestion if you can try and get into a toc 10 normal. It may take some time to get into one but there is much to be gained. Shield/waist/neck/weapon/ring and other drops. At worst a full clear clear nets you 15 emblems for roughly a hour. Anyways best way i can put this is opportunity cost. If you qued a specific and got a drop that is normally worth 50 emblems you either wasted your time time or saved a lot.

Ex. 232 Helm in H HoR. say 20 minutes to run 10 minutes specific que. so 30 total. That means using our 6 average ever 20 minutes we would have gotten 9 emblems in that time period. Hor gives 3.
The break even point compared to the 75 emblem head. (one run per day) (value the helm at 50 eot)
75-50= 25 eot as break even point.
9-3=6 difference per run.
25/6=4.25 or 4 runs (5 rounded properly) to break even with purchasing the helm.

If we include dead time and make it 6 Eot per 30 minutes.
75-50- 25 eot as break even point
6-3=3 EoT as break even point.
25/3=8.33 so 8 runs (9 rounded properly)

Anyways the short version of this is its basically a economics view point with gearing up for ICC 10. If your ability to get the randoms done is around 20 minutes then randoms are the better deal for you to get there quicker. If however its closer to 30 minutes its better to que a specific with emblem equivalent gear. (ICC 5 heroics and normal)

Sucks but its fastest to get into ICC 10 with grinding randoms then specific dungeons these days. Those 2 eot dont seem like a lot but lets put some perspective on it. Using the FailSafe guide at 150 per week for 4 weeks means 600 EoT total.
At 4 EoT per run (no 2 extras) and 20 minutes per run its 50 hours to hit that number.(no bonus go specific)
At 6 per run (2 extra per run) and 20 minutes per run its 33.33.3 hours. (you saved 16.7 hours or 1/3 faster)

(Anyways its not aimed at you specifically but more as reference point that a starting tank can use to budget time and weigh the cost of time on specifics. It also really points out the philosophy behind blizz making the game more casual and easier for people to do. Que for randoms for 9 hours a week and at end of week 4 your ready to raid.)
Arincia

Postby Shoju » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:33 am

One thing I did on my priest once she reached level 80:

Once I was able to queue for all 3 ICC dungeons, I would run my random for the day, and then queue for all 6 versions of the ICC dungeons, since I was going for gear. Now, in your case, it sounds like there is only one drop that might be left for you in FoS norm, and that would be the 219 tank chest, something that is easily upgradable from emblems, so you might want to bypass normal FoS and queue for H:FoS, PoS/H:PoS, Hor/H:HoR.

I know that queuing for H:HoR can sometimes be brutal, and could understand if you don't want to queue for that due to the Frustrations.

Do you have the Black heart yet? I know that there has been frustrating loot so far, but I'm very interested in how you are doing :) I have been thinking about doing something similar with my shaman. He is still just 66, but I could easily run him to 80 fast, and start a similar experience as a healer, and I'm sure that I will be doing something similar to this when/if I run my ally paladin to 80 after finishing up the charger line.
Shoju

Postby Barathorn » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:49 am

Shoju wrote:One thing I did on my priest once she reached level 80:

Once I was able to queue for all 3 ICC dungeons, I would run my random for the day, and then queue for all 6 versions of the ICC dungeons, since I was going for gear. Now, in your case, it sounds like there is only one drop that might be left for you in FoS norm, and that would be the 219 tank chest, something that is easily upgradable from emblems, so you might want to bypass normal FoS and queue for H:FoS, PoS/H:PoS, Hor/H:HoR.

I know that queuing for H:HoR can sometimes be brutal, and could understand if you don't want to queue for that due to the Frustrations.

Do you have the Black heart yet? I know that there has been frustrating loot so far, but I'm very interested in how you are doing :) I have been thinking about doing something similar with my shaman. He is still just 66, but I could easily run him to 80 fast, and start a similar experience as a healer, and I'm sure that I will be doing something similar to this when/if I run my ally paladin to 80 after finishing up the charger line.

This is a good idea Shoju, thank you! I had the Black Heart prior to 80 but have seen it drop another two times since I dinged 80.

I am pretty lucky with drops in honesty. The hard part is going to be upgrading 200 -> 232 for ICC10. I will have just enough badges I think to go for T9 Chest/Legs/Gloves and the EoT Ring for a 4 piece bonus and T10 shoulders to round out the main gear slots.

That leaves as problem slots

Neck [currently 200]
Waist [currently 200]
Boots [currently 219]
1 x Trinket [currently 200]
Weapon [currently 219]
Ranged Weapon [currently 219]

I am in pretty good shape. As soon as I can run the Heroic ICC5 instances those gear slots should sort themselves out and I can probably afford a single 1.5k-2k purchase prior to attempting to PuG ICC10. This will probably be the Crafted Waist from Ulduar.

Barathorn

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice