Remove Advertisements

Case Study #1 - Gearing upto ICC10 entry as a new 80 Tank

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Case Study #1 - Gearing upto ICC10 entry as a new 80 Tank

Postby Barathorn » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:18 am

Hello,

After a discussion in this thread I decided to dust the cobwebs off an old character and conduct an experiment in gearing a newly dinged level 80 tank upto potentially ICC10 standard.

I wanted to see how difficult it is at this stage of the expansion for new tanks to gear themselves up and to see just how much the gearscore and achievement requirements can hinder them. This should in turn help me have a better understanding of the advice I give and the responsibility that goes with that.

Parameters for the study.

a/ The character is to be geared up outside of any existing guild structure to experiance the full harsh stark reality of the current enviroment as a freshly dinged level 80 tank.

b/ The character is assumed to be earning 100g a day. I will actually have to earn this as for the purposes of this study all ties have been severed with friends and my guild thus negating any outside influences that could make the process easier.

c/ Whatever the character has in his backpack at level 80 is what he starts with on the gearing process. If I want crafted items I have to pay for them. If I want anything I physically have to earn it. I have a basic understanding of the server economy.

d/ The character will do a single random dungeon a day where possible plus any seasonal events. This means I have no intention of spending more than one hour a day on this character which is enough to do a random dungeon or two and to try to make as much money as possible in that time.

e/ I will keep a track of all gear upgrades and all positive and negative comments throughout the study.

f/ I am assumed to have a small amount of basic knowledge after finding Tankspot and Maintankadin after a reccomendation in Trade Chat /2. [added day 4]

With those points in my mind the journey begins as I ding level 80 on capturing the flag in WSG for a 3-0 win. I bid farewell to my Guildmates for a couple of weeks and click leave guild.

What has it got in its pocketsesssss precious?

I am rich! I have 500g! That is going to go a long long way. /happy dance. I have the following equipment,

Head - Greathelm of the Unyielding Bull with a +18 Stam patch upgraded to Wrynn's Greathelm of Conquest with the AC Head Enchant, Armor Metagem and an Epic Expertise/Stam gem

Neck - Burning Skull Pendant

Shoulders - Crusader Square Pauldrons upgraded to Iron Dwarf Smith Pauldrons with a +12 Stam patch upgraded to Wrynn's Pauldrons of Conquest with the Pvp Resilience/Stam Enchant and a +30 Stam gem

Back - Icebound Cloak A lucky drop from Ahune at level 79 with a +def enchant

Chest - Silver Plated Battle Chest with a +12 Stam patch upgraded to Scourgelord's Frigid Chestplate with a +24 Stam Gem and a +def enchant

Wrist - Cobalt Bracers with a gem slot with a +16 def gem upgraded to Tempered Saronite Bracers with a +def/stam gem upgraded to Saronite Swordbreakers with a +16 def gem, a +30 Stam gem and a +40 Stam enchant.

Weapon - Crescent of Brooding Fury with + 50 Attack Power enchant upgraded to Lucky Old Sun - I plan to put Accuracy or + Agility on this weapon upgraded to Rimefang's Claw with a Greater Potency Enchant

Shield - Leeka's Shield with a +def enchant upgraded to Titansteel Shieldwall with a +Def Enchant

Ranged - Brutal Gladiators War Edge a leftover from level 70 PvP upgraded to Drake Mounted Crossbow upgraded to True Aim Long Rifle upgraded to Blades of the Sable Cross

Hands - Mercys Hold a lucky drop from one of 5 ToC5 man runs between level 78 and 80 with an extra gem slot - gemmed for defence with a +12 Stam patch

Belt - Tempered Saronite Belt with an extra gem slot and gemmed for defence upgraded to Waistguard of the Risen Knight with a +24 Stam gem upgraded to Girdle of the Pallid Knight gemmed with a +str/def gem and a +24 stam gem

Legs - Daunting Legplates with a +45 stam patch upgraded to Legplates of Abandoned Fealty with some cheap gems short term and a +45 Stam Patch

Feet - Slaughterhouse Sabatons with a +22 stam enchant upgraded to Boots of Heartfelt Repentance with a cheap gem short term upgraded to Soillerets of Suffering - I plan to put Tuskarrs on these.

Ring 1 - Dragonflight Great Ring from a level 79 Occulus run upgraded to Mark of the Relentless with a +30 Stam Gem

Ring 2 - Stoneguard Band gemmed for +def/stam upgraded to Keystone Great Ring

Trinket 1 - The Black Heart from one of the level 78-80 ToC5 normal runs

Trinket 2 - Crusaders Locket upgraded to Lavanthor's Talisman

I also have 14 EoT's, 56000 honor, 124 Stonekeepers Shards and 2 EoF. I have a mining bag full of <70 bars and 3 Titansteel Bars. I have a cold weather flying certificate [That isn't worth the parchment it is written on] and a purple griffon called 'Snowy'. I also have a few different land mounts of which the favourite is a Black PvP mechnostrider called 'ATAT'.

Let the adventure begin! [Or should that be abuse?]

Should anyone have any ideas, thoughts, questions or comments on this little study I am conducting please feel free to post them in this thread and I will answer them.

Barathorn
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Re: Case Study #1 - Gearing upto ICC10 entry as a new 80 Tank

Postby Barathorn » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:25 am

Day 1

I am skint $£%^£"$$%!!!!

The 500g I saved up while leveling has gone in a shopping orgy of cheap gems and enchants to get me to 535 defence. I have 3 good quality epics, the rest of my gear is not good. I have 23991 health and I am expecting a torrent of abuse about my gear score from PuG's. Fortunately my mining and blacksmithing [which are both at 450] has given me an ok chance at an income of 100g a day [plus some much needed extra health].

I decide to go for it, what is the worst that can happen? I decide to queue for a specific heroic that I know drops gear I can use rather than a random.

Heroic VH - I know I can probably handle this as my first ever heroic.

Group Comp - Me, Rogue, Hunter, Shaman, Druid Healer

Comments - None at all

Outcome - 3 EoT

I have played for an hour so I stop rather than going to mine. I feel elated and unstopable as the heroic was relatively easy. No negative comments, just a nice run. I did notice I didn't recieve a single MD or TotT though which I thought was odd.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Barathorn » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:33 am

Day 2

I am still skint. I have 24 gold and my armor is covered in a plethora of borean armor patches for the +12 stamina as I am too broke to afford enchants. I think I look cool but it reality I look like a poor mans Patchwerk and I expect the PuG's to comment on this. I wonder if today will be the day the abuse starts.

Heroic Halls of Lightning - Not my first choice of instance to ease myself into the groove.

Group Comp - Me, Druid, Ret Pally, Death Knight, Druid Healer.

Comments - 'Please try to keep aggro' from the DK [a little tricky when he has just popped AotD but I ignore it and continue].

Outcome - 3 EoT, 2 EoF, Iron Dwarf Smith Pauldrons and an OS 2 Handed Axe.

I spend the remaining 25 minutes of my hour flying around Shoz Basin mining so that I might be able to think about some craftable items. I do have the recipe for Saronite Swordbreakers but the mats look harsh, especially the Orbs.

+ 45 Saronite Bars
+ 5 Titanium Bars
+ 0 gold. Arse.

Barathorn

Postby Gamingdevil » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:46 pm

500g Seems very low. I'm in the process of leveling a druid on another server, so completely cut off from my main characters. I must admit I have friends on the server and one of them gave me 100g when I just started so I could get glyph of Maul. I am now level 76 and have a bit over 4k (no I did not use that 100g to make more gold), I just sold pretty much everything I found on the AH which made me quite some money.

Now, I didn't buy cold weather flying yet (sucks that you need level 80 to buy the tome) and I got normal flying basically free, but that's still only 300g save tops.

Obviously, newer players probably don't really know how to handle their money (I haven't really enchanted any of my gear apart from the LW things until I get something good in the slot) But I don't think it's unreasonable to think a fresh 80 has about 1k gold.
If it is weak, kill it before it gets stronger. If it is strong, weaken it.
Gamingdevil

Postby Barathorn » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:08 pm

Gamingdevil wrote:500g Seems very low. I'm in the process of leveling a druid on another server, so completely cut off from my main characters. I must admit I have friends on the server and one of them gave me 100g when I just started so I could get glyph of Maul. I am now level 76 and have a bit over 4k (no I did not use that 100g to make more gold), I just sold pretty much everything I found on the AH which made me quite some money.

Now, I didn't buy cold weather flying yet (sucks that you need level 80 to buy the tome) and I got normal flying basically free, but that's still only 300g save tops.

Obviously, newer players probably don't really know how to handle their money (I haven't really enchanted any of my gear apart from the LW things until I get something good in the slot) But I don't think it's unreasonable to think a fresh 80 has about 1k gold.

Maybe 500g is a little low? I recently leveled a Druid and that was what I had left after training at level 80 so I took that as a rough guestimate of what a new player might have. If others would like to comment on their findings? It may be I have to increase my starting capital.

Cheers for the heads up Gamingdevil.

I am particularly interested in the experiances of tanks new to 80 and those gearing up for ICC10 so I can compare them to my own. So if you have any questions or comments please feel free to post them is this thread.

At the moment the two PuG's I have been in for heroics seem to have been far less judgemental about my gear than the PuG's I was in from level 78-80 which is interesting in itself and may well be leading to another discussion.

Barathorn

Barathorn

Postby Wrathy » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:59 pm

I will have to admit that I probably had about 1000g when I finished at 80 on my DK, and after buying epic cold weather flying, but I made close to 6k gold leveling in northrend on a DK. I am interested to see what kind of outcome you get, because I did a similar thing with my dk, no guild tag, no guild help, just leveled up when TOTGC was on farm and started getting the 232 gear. I shelved the dk because I don't like the rune mechanics, but still, similar situations, and the comments were not so polite, until the second pack when they realized I knew what I was doing.

Keep the stories coming!
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby Pizbit » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:10 pm

Me and a mate leveled 2 toons horde side on a different server, no boa, no help from anyone.
At 40 we both bought dual spec, epic land, at 70 we bought flying, 77 epic flying, CWF. Simply just from me leveling herbalism and skinning, him mining and enchanting. Currently my toon is 79 with around 2k gold.

With minimal farming and gathering profs you can earn one heck of a lot of gold leveling up if you have some experience with the game or been told to gets profs, level them then AH everything.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby yappo » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:19 am

Remember that this is a case study in gearing up a new tank.

There are two kinds of new tanks.

1) The new tank. While Bara can't simulate lack of knowledge entirely, he's simulating the lack of understanding of WoW-economics.

2) The rerolled tank. Most monetary advice in this thread is based on the assumption that we're handling a rerolled tank by a player with a solid understanding of most aspects of the game.

I'd argue that the case study is mostly for helping 'ecperienced' advisors (people in this community, for example) giving advice to a player who is truly new to tanking AND raiding.
yappo

Postby Barathorn » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:36 am

Day 3

A new day and new hope for drops and a progression in gearing. I am no longer flat broke, I have 179 gold from auctions and I feel a little more at ease knowing if I wipe a group I can actually afford to repair. So far with the exception of the AoTd moment the people I have PuG'ed with have been happy they have a tank, albeit an undergeared one.

Heroic Drektharon Keep - I am pretty sure I can handle this instance as long as I don't get an AoE crazy group.

Group Comp - Me, Druid Healer, Ret Pally, Hunter and Shadow Priest.

Comments - The druid healer whispers me and tells me 'not to worry and just grab the aggro, this is a solid group' in reply to my whisper that 'I have just dinged 80 so may need more healing that normal'.

Outcome - 4 EoT, 2 EoF, Waistguard of the Risen Knight, 2 dream shards, 11 infinite dust, 1 greater cosmic essence and a frozen orb.

It went pretty well, I had a lot of issues with aggro from the shadow priest that meant I used a lot of taunts but even when we pulled 2 groups by mistake I was able to handle the mobs with minimal issues.

I decide against another instance and fly to my second home - Shoz Basin and begin to fly round clockwise. I realise immediately I am up against two other ore farmers and 'Snowy' simply isn't built for speed which results in me not seeing a single titanium node and I have to contend with numerous attempts on the nodes I am mining. However after 20 minutes I have 29 Saronite Bars and a King Krush kill [who dropped a nice caster ring] which makes me happy.

I decide to risk turning my saronite into titanium and after a quick meeting with an alchemist in a back alley in Dalaran found via the trade channel I manage to up my titansteel bars upto 6 for the cost of 20 gold. I ponder crafting the ilevel 200 shield but decide that my aim must be to make saronite swordbreakers first and then work back from there as I know both the badge shield and the HCoS shields will serve me well so to waste valuable resources on the crafted shield would be a bad move.

I do however craft myself Tempered Saronite Bracers to get rid of another green item. For some reason this makes me happy. I also craft a eternal belt buckle and gem my new belt with a +24 stamina gem. My defence drops to 533 and it takes a new socket on my bracers with a +def/stam gem to get me to 535. I use 90 gold to purchase a crusader orb [1/4] towards the saronite swordbreakers as I know I cannot afford to spend my hard earned EoT on crusader orbs. I check my Argent Crusade reputation and see I am halfway through friendly and well on the way to the items I want from their quartermaster.

I really need a new helm to get a metagem rocking. And a new trinket. And a new Weapon. And new most other slots.

This has been a good day. I now have just under 25k health and the next step from a health perspective for me is to reach 30k unbuffed.

I am down to 52 gold though. Arse. I also have no eternals left so the last two Titansteel bars may be an issue. I aim to have the Saronite Swordbreakers by day seven if finances allow but this may be a tall order. The EoT are mounting up nicely but I really have no idea what my first purchase should actually be. The EoF I will just keep slowly earning and worry about my first EoF purchase when I get to 40 as with the plethora of drops still available I have no set plan.

At what gear level can I enter the ICC 5 mans on normal I wonder? I know ToC5 heroic 'can' be done at my gear level but at what stress level from the other group members? Maybe if I get a quick 1st instance tommorrow I will queue for ToC5 heroic and see if I can get some new drops while avoiding abuse.

Barathorn

Postby Pizbit » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:03 am

Consider farming for ore in Icecrown instead, far fewer miners in my experience. Don't forget to fly under the citadel to see if you should drop down the massive hole for 1-2 nodes down there. You can see the nodes on tracking to save the big drop. Little boy at the drop location will port you back up again. 2-3 spawn spots at either end of the area at the very bottom.
Pizbit

Postby Barathorn » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:22 am

Day 3 - Additional Content

So I have an hour or so spare and I know Monday will be tight on time so I decide to run some ToC5 normals for additional gear.

ToC5 - Normal

Group Comp 1-2 Me, Pally healer, 2 x Elemental Shaman, 1 x Ret paladin

Comments - A very pleasent group, everyone said grats when things dropped and I realise that this process doesnt 'have' to be a negative experiance, playing WoW and gearing up can be awesome.

Drops - New Belt £$%"%^&^££!!! Typical, gemmed and belt buckled the one from this morning and a better one drops. Still all upgrades are good and I plan to fit it with a belt buckle, a +24 Stam gem and a +def/stam gem to get a socket bonus and to make up the defence difference.

The Ret pally and one of the Shaman leave so we queue again. How bad can it be right? We are on a roll!!!

Group 3 comp - Me, Pally healer, Elemental Shaman and two DK's.

Comments - People wonder why Death Knights have a bad name. I am willing to give everyone a go and judge afterwards but these two are exactly why they have a bad name as a class. Opening comment from one of them 'Make sure you go fast tank or I will take over as I have ICC gear'. Upon inspection, yes he does have ICC gear, it is all there, shiny and purple, gemmed for agility almost exclusively and he is wearing two tanking trinkets. He is about as much DK DPS as I am a rocket scientist. I simply reply 'I will go as fast as I can but I am a new level 80 so please bear with me'. Their reply 'GOGOGOGOGO'.

I know I have aggro issues coming, I know these DK's are going to pull aggro and then slam me about not tanking well. I prepare for the worst. Sure enough they do not disappoint me and display to the world how to be grade 'A' Arseheads. They taunt, they target the wrong thing, they are just going out of their way to make it difficult for the tank. This is why I hate PuG's, people just being idiots for the sake of it. How you can have 264 gear and be such an idiot by trying to ruin other peoples day is beyond me. Show some respect, just play the game and stop being an idiot. For this reason I make a note of their names and mentally promise not to group with them no matter what.

However there is a ray of light from the heavens! The Paladin healer simply types into chat, 'let the tank do his job please, he is fine tanking'. The DK's comply miraculously and I have no further issues. I am G.O.B.S.M.A.C.K.E.D and thank the healer by whisper.

Drops - Hopefully the two DK's. Yay!

Group 4 comp - I announce I am leaving after whispering the healer and Shaman and the two DK's drop group and I then stay. We bring in a hunter and another DK.

Here we go again I think.

Comments - well apart from the hunter targeting 2nd target [cross] all the time it was smooth as you like, really nice group. No aggro issues and it went as smooth as it can.

Drops - None at all.

I think I am ready for ToC5 Heroic.

I am however jaded from my experiance with the DK's.

Barathorn

Postby Levantine » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:57 am

Ignore lists work cross realm. You can guarantee that you won't group with someone again instead of just making a mental promise. :D

[e] Realms aren't factions, silly Levie.
Levantine

Postby Pizbit » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:14 am

Levantine wrote:Ignore lists work cross realm. You can guarantee that you won't group with someone again instead of just making a mental promise. :D

[e] Realms aren't factions, silly Levie.

One was beginning to think otherwise when cross-realm LFG first came out. The 'zomgah your whole server sucks' posts seem to have died down on the realm forums now though.

(And the ignore is sometimes bypassed by the LFG system if it really really wants to make a group due to lack of numbers, unlikely at 80 but still pissed me off leveling)
Pizbit

Postby Tats » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:46 am

Neat stuff. I bet you can tank pretty much any heroic except pit and HoR.. even then, I bet you could tank those too, with some good people behind you.

As far as dipshits ;) go get an addon called Ignoremore, and just ignore every dickhead that does/says something stupid. I have over a thousand names on ignore... and wow becomes a more pleasant experience with each name ;)

GL on a sword from UP or ToC!
Tats

Postby Pizbit » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:23 pm

Tats wrote:Neat stuff. I bet you can tank pretty much any heroic except pit and HoR.. even then, I bet you could tank those too, with some good people behind you.

As far as dipshits ;) go get an addon called Ignoremore, and just ignore every dickhead that does/says something stupid. I have over a thousand names on ignore... and wow becomes a more pleasant experience with each name ;)

GL on a sword from UP or ToC!

Mod doesn't prevent them from joining your LFG groups again though.
Pizbit

Next

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice