Threat problems on ghouls LK25 HC

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Threat problems on ghouls LK25 HC

Postby Newsom » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:55 am

Hi!

Sorry if this has already been covered in some thread, I tried to make a search here but didn't really find anything.

My guild is finally starting to work on Heroic LK 25. We made some progress yesterday and actually got to the first transitional phase. Yay! We're running with a DK tank on the Lich King and me on adds in phase 1. We're at the point where we rarely wipe because of shadow traps and we all know exactly what to do.

My problem is taunting the ghouls over to my shambling horrors. I can't seem to make enough threat on them before they run back to the other tank. She is doing Death and Decay so that the ghouls won't attack the melee. To be honest, I don't know how to improve here. I'm hit capped, soft expertise capped (with food), and my gear is made up from only 264/277 pieces. I don't have any real threat problems on any other boss in ICC. I can pick up Shamblings without any problems and the same goes for Spirits in the transition phases.

Is Death and Decay really doing that much threat? It's pretty frustrating wasting half of our attempts because I can't get enough ghouls to stack the plague high enough. It works half of the time by also judging, but Shockwave and having to stun the Shamblings make it problematic.

Here is my Armory. I haven't done anything special with my spec yet for LK, since we're still learning the first phase, but I can't imagine what it would be like without a lot of the major threat talents.

I have been thinking about letting a melee take some adds so that I can RD them over to me, would that be a good idea? Any other tips?
Frango NewsomNewsSpoon
Newsom

Re: Threat problems on ghouls LK25 HC

Postby Meloree » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:05 am

This has been discussed to some extent in the LK25H topic in the Icecrown Citadel Forum. TL;DR, though, in case you don't want to go over there: Taunt and hardcast an exorcism, or Taunt and cast avenger's shield, or taunt and judge if you're close enough. Anything to get it to keep moving until it's out of melee range and 130% rule applies. If it doesn't work on that ghoul - pick a different ghoul to try the next time - it won't be on taunt DR. Make sure your MT isn't taunting the ghouls at all, DR is your enemy if you're having trouble pulling them.

You don't need as many ghouls as you think you do - 2 is completely sufficient. You can make sure you get the first one even before the first Horror spawns, so you really only need to drag one off the MT. Do whatever you have to to get it over there, and you're golden.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Boyfriend » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:09 am

[Meloree was faster, still posting]

You only need a total of 2 ghouls to kill 2 Shamblers with the plague (sometimes 1 is enough but that starts getting RNG so I wouldn't plan with it); communicate with your DK tank so DnD is not up when you take those 2 ghouls. Make sure you're not actually inside the DnD with your shambler/ghouls, and try to taunt early enough that if the ghoul does not reach you that you can try again.

A rough jumping order for plague
Shambler 1 -> Ghoul 1 -> Shambler 1 -> Ghoul 2 -> Shambler 1 (dies) -> Shambler 2 -> You (dispell) -> Shambler 2 (dies) -> You (Transition)

This can vary alot and you need to adjust (depending on how plagues are delivered).

You can always bounce the plague off yourself, it will simply not gain any stacks if you do so, but once it reaches 6-7 stacks it's preferable to bounce it off yourself as you can dispell it immediately and need not wait 5 seconds like on a ghoul (If the plague jumps onto you, then a horror frenzying as plague jumps off it, is not much of an issue and your cooldowns should easily cover it)
Boyfriend
Maintankadonor

Postby Newsom » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:21 am

Wow, thanks for the quick replies, and some great advice!

I will try using exorcism next time. Why didn't I think of that?

Is it worth glyphing for Avenger's Shield?

Only needing two ghouls makes it a lot easier, I thought I needed three per Shambling. We are somtimes getting a third Shambling at the end though, but that probably won't happen now with the 25% buff. :P
Frango NewsomNewsSpoon
Newsom

Postby Boyfriend » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:35 am

Newsom wrote:Only needing two ghouls makes it a lot easier, I thought I needed three per Shambling. We are somtimes getting a third Shambling at the end though, but that probably won't happen now with the 25% buff. :P

Getting a 3rd Shambling will almost certainly mean you won't make the enrage, while you can use it to train P2; P3 will be cut very short by the enrage.
Boyfriend
Maintankadonor

Postby Kihra » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:50 pm

Our guild uses a DK DPS OT to hold the ghouls. With this strat you just have to pick up 1 ghoul total. It's very easy.

(1) DK DPS OT picks up all the ghouls.
(2) Shambler tank picks up first shambler.
(3) First plague goes to shambler.
(4) Taunt 1 ghoul over and bounce plague from shambler to it.
(5) DK DGs that ghoul back into the ghoul pack.
(6) 2nd plague goes to ghouls.
(7) Shambler tank picks up second shambler.
(8) 3rd plague goes to first shambler.
(9) DK DPS OT delivers the "super-plague" to the first shambler.
(10) Shambler one spends at most 1 tick in Frenzy and dies (just HoJ through Frenzy).
(11) Plague bounces to shambler two who also spends only 1 tick in Frenzy and dies (just HW through Frenzy).

You don't even need to use cooldowns. :)
Kihra

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice