Effulgent Skyflare on LK 10 Practical?

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Effulgent Skyflare on LK 10 Practical?

Postby snrfrito » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:19 pm

Hi there!

Firstly, being my first post 'n all, I'd like to greatly thank the Maintankadin community for the wealth of information and insight provided here. Countless posts and discussions have drastically improved my understanding of tanking mechanics, as well as the understanding of numerous other tanks from my server that I have directed here. Thank you for all the hard work--I certainly wouldn't be where I am (in WoW) without ya'.

Okay, to the meat of my question--I've looked into the Effulgent Skyflare Diamond discussion on the forums here and I noticed that it was mentioned that the meta would be practical primarily for Sindy and HM Lich King. Our guild, while strict in some areas, is rather casual, and thus I don't see us making attempts on Lich King Hard Modes for quite a long while. Currently, however, we are beating our heads against him in 10m normal. Although I do not keep logs myself, I have looked at the "Damage Taken" bits from fellow tanks in the more competitive raiding guilds on our server. While I'm noticing tank damage being attributed to melee hits 60-70% of the total, I'm wondering if the Effulgent Skyflare Diamond would be better for overall survival against Soul Reaper hits (as I am solo-tanking LK in p2 and 3) than the typical Austere Earthsiege Diamond.

Badges, gems, enchants, etc are a non-issue, if that helps with offering advice. If I were to go with the skyflare, it would be in a 264 T10 helm all its own.

Here is a link to my current armory profile: http://armorylite.com/us/sisters+of+elune/rhyea

(And, yes, that is 537 defense skill you see in my stats. The 15 resilience from my shoulder enchant makes me crit-immune.)

Furthermore, since I am the only one in our raid composition capable of stunning the Valkyrie, I am thinking of taking 6 talent points from Vindication, PoJ, and Crusade to place them in Imp. HoJ and 4/5 in Divinity. I know I'll be dropping some threat to do this, but with the dps time on the Valkyrie and adds in p3, I'm fairly confident I can still hold threat well enough. Though, I have the option of using Libram of the Sacred Shield in place of Libram of the Eternal Tower to supplement my threat and block value while tanking adds in p1 (if we decide to have me solo tank the entire encounter, that is.)

I know it's a lot to ask, but I've never min/maxed for an encounter before; and direction would be most appreciated.

Have a nice day!
snrfrito

Re: Effulgent Skyflare on LK 10 Practical?

Postby lythac » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:54 pm

If you are solo tanking in phase 2 and 3, taking 2 points out of Crusade and into Imp HoJ is a good idea if you are having difficulty with valks. Being able to stun each add yourself with zero risk of being picked up makes it super easy. Having said that I do not think it is necessary. Also completely butchering your prot spec should not be needed for doing LK 10 normal so that is the only change I would make.

I realise the irony as my spec is something quite odd atm and is only for solo tanking LK25 phase 2+3 solo and Shamblings in phase 1.

SR, first part is resistible 2nd is not. Also it is not SR that will be killing you, it is SR lined up with a melee swing that will kill you so normal meta is still better. For solo tanking use a CD for each one (even though you should survive without one). You have DP, DG, AD so need a 4th external CD or grab the HoS glyph.

Edit - I ran with a SP so what I did was this - AS to get in stun range > HoJ or HW (didn't have imp HoJ) > SP has his slow up > it dies. You can do AS > HoJ > HW and will keep it in place for 7.5 seconds if you have imp HoJ. But it may not be needed.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby snrfrito » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:17 pm

Thanks for the quick response!

lythac wrote:You have DP, DG, AD so need a 4th external CD or grab the HoS glyph.

I was considering the glyph; though I've never used it before, so I'm a lil scared to use HoSalv on myself while MTing the Lich King, haha! We do have a handy hunter and rogue, however, so it shouldn't be an issue.

As far as "butchering my spec" goes, I don't mind speccing very specifically for the King since we plan to extend until we down him, and then I'll revert back to my standard spec for hard modes. That said, we seem to be making good time on the enrage (though it is a little close); my understanding was that Divinity doesn't really add all that much survivability, but I was curious to see how it would pan out in that fight.

If I did decide to try 4/5 Divinity... does anyone know a way to check logs to see how much Divinity helped?
snrfrito

Postby Fiaraa » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:00 pm

Whilst you are crit immune, 540 is the cap for Ardent Defender. =)

I don't think you should have threat problems on normal, though, if you drop those talent poinst. Imp HoJ is quite helpful.
Fiaraa

Postby Barathorn » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:42 pm

Fiaraa wrote:Whilst you are crit immune, 540 is the cap for Ardent Defender. =)

I don't think you should have threat problems on normal, though, if you drop those talent poinst. Imp HoJ is quite helpful.

At 537 def though you will not notice the lesser health gained from AD as it won't be a huge amount of difference numerically. I still have Imp HoJ as I find a stun very useful and it certainly will help you in the LK fight.

Barathorn
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby snrfrito » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:29 am

Fiaraa wrote:Whilst you are crit immune, 540 is the cap for Ardent Defender. =)

Huh... ya' know, I never thought about that. Thanks, you three, for the advice ^_^
snrfrito

Postby Galektra » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:18 am

I was actually thinking about dusting off the Judgment helm I've never used and using it with this meta for Sindy. We will be attempting 10H and reg 25-man this week, so I thought the 2% less spell damage might be good. I already added the SoH frost enchant to the helm, but I can't find anyone with the meta cut and the AH is bare lol.

Judgement Heaume
Binds when picked up
PlateHead
2009 Armor
+77 Strength
+199 Stamina
+10 Frost Resistance
+10 Shadow Resistance
Meta Socket
Red Socket
Socket Bonus: +8 Hit Rating
Durability 100 / 100
Classes: Paladin
Requires Level 80
Item Level 245
Equip: Increases defense rating by 90.
Equip: Increases your dodge rating by 62.
Equip: Improves hit rating by 75.
Galektra

Postby Awyndel » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:16 am

Soul reaper can not be resisted last time I checked.

You take way too much physical damage in the fight to switch the meta. Hell I personally don't even change meta on sindragosa heroic, since the melee there is insane too, and the 30% frost softcap takes care of the magic damage. Also keep in mind that if you are taking the soul reaper without taunts, his melee attacks during it are of much bigger concern to you.

I think you only need 1 point in impr hoj to stun every valkyr. Also, you can keep the points in vindication and poj. Just drop crusade, socom, and 2 points in touched by light. Then you can also pick up 5/5 divinity.
Awyndel

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice