Don't judge a tank by his GS?

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Don't judge a tank by his GS?

Postby purtywinkz » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:04 am

After being a tank for a few months and reading up as much as possible it seems that the tank is one of the classes that is hardest to judge by a GS. Only reason I say that it because it seems that sometimes loewr level gear, such as when I am reading about Crusdaers glory being one of the best EH weapons is not up to the ICC pars. That sometimes we tend to switch between gear and still today i get a bit confused.

While typically with a threat set I think you can get away with not having a full set or perhaps even a frost set, I think avoidance and such it seems like you really do need a full set of gear gemmed for avoidance in order for it to be affect. Now weather that set needs to be a full 265 like the rest of your gear I have no idea.

What I do know is that I am still trying to get the best EH set, and trying to build a better theart set. Anyone care to recomend a good way to do this? and you're thoughts about the GS delima?

Armory incase someone awnted it lol
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... uritywinkz
purtywinkz

Re: Don't judge a tank by his GS?

Postby Arnock » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:39 am

Not quite sure what you're trying to ask here.

If you want to know whether you need "full" sets for avoidance, threat, block cap, etc. I wouldn't think so.

Avoidance itself isn't the most optimal stat, but if you want to build a set, just start picking up pieces of gear that have higher amounts of avoidance stats (dodge, parry, defense) and substitute them in when you want.

Same for threat sets, just pick up pieces with more Strength, BV, expertise, hit, etc. gem and enchant them accordingly, and switch those pieces in when needed.

As for gearscore, I'd rather not spark off another huge debate here, but I don't think you should really judge anyone by their GS. The addon is only really useful for getting a general idea about someone's average ilvl. Don't worry about what your number is, just focus on the individual pieces and ignore the ilvl and focus on stats.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Vrimmel » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:40 pm

I think the general consensus regarding GS is that it is good for pugging and flame leviathan, but aside from those just use the gear with the most favorable stats. To a certain degree you can evaluate a likely range of a person's raid progress and skill in the current content, but it is better to see where the items are dropped from, is he using well itemized gear, is the spec good, is his gear enchanted/gemmed properly etc.
Vrimmel

Postby Fiaraa » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:24 pm

Gear Score is a stupid dumb stupid addon;
That said, someone who has 500 more GS than you is generally going to have a lot more health. Doesn't make them a good tank, though.
Fiaraa

Postby bldavis » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:35 pm

if someone is drug through icc25 and 10 every week for about a month and doesnt fuck up too bad, theny could have decent gear, but that doesnt make them a good tank/dps/healer

just an example, i saw a tank from one of the icc25 raiding guilds on my server (this was just the other night)

the DK tank was gemmed for Stam SP and crit

yet he had a 6k gs, so ppl would invite him in.

moral of the story, ALWAYS inspect your co-tanks, esp when you are pugged in

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice