Remove Advertisements

Short cut for level 80 beginners gear?

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Short cut for level 80 beginners gear?

Postby Scogg » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:26 am

I should be level 80 in the next week or so and I'd like to stockpile some equipment as a boost for when I get there.

My main is a well geared Shadow Priest so I'll be able to farm, support with cash and I can buy Primordial Saronite to help w/high level crafted items (I've got 3 PS in the bank and 235 Frost Emblems waiting to be used).

Which gear (craftable or BoE) would you recommend to start my Prot Paladin out on the right foot? As stated above, I'm willing to spend some cash on BoE but I can't afford to be buying 10k + gold items. I guess I'd rather farm mats/PS if possible.

Thanks for any tips/advice.
Scogg

Re: Short cut for level 80 beginners gear?

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:35 am

Off the top of my head:
Indestructible Girdle
Spiked Deathdealers
Saronite Swordbreakers
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby lythac » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:50 am

Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby cds4850 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:04 am

I'm a bit more aggressive with my gear pathing of my up and coming DK tank. It's a bit more forced and expensive than the great guide that Yappo has written. Like his guide though, I fully intend on farming out ToC5 on normal from 78-80 and heroic thereafter in addition to Icecrown 5mans.

The Breastplate of the White Knight is another ToC craftable 245 like the Saronite Swordbreakers. The mats for this are very easily farmed and it will serve you well until you save up the emblems for the Catacylysmic Chestguard.

Pillars of Might, though still rather pricey to craft, are your BiS option for effective health. They carry a giant chunk of armor and stamina as well as three gem sockets. They are an excellent non-tier piece to run in nearly any gearset you could contrive, and arguably the one piece you would run when opting for the 4pc T10 dodge bonus.

Beyond these pieces, keep an eye in the AH for the BoE tanking ring from Anub25 (Band of the Traitor King maybe?) There's also a tanking cloak from Ulduar that may pop up in the AH from time to time, but the name escapes me at the moment. I'd be willing drop 1.5k on either of the aforementioned items, though questionanly not much more given the access to ToC25 and ToGC25 drops I have through my guild.

The Halls of Reflection DPS 1h from the LK event is a nice threat piece, while the first encounter in that instance drops a tanking axe if you prefer. As for shields, I think theres something that drops in PoSaron normal, or one of the regular Icecrown 5mans.

Best of luck with your gearing.
cds4850

Postby Gamingdevil » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:42 am

None of the items crafted with PS are good for a beginning tank. Though amazing at higher levels, you simply can't afford to lose all that defense, early on.
If it is weak, kill it before it gets stronger. If it is strong, weaken it.
Gamingdevil

Postby cds4850 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:54 am

Gamingdevil wrote:None of the items crafted with PS are good for a beginning tank. Though amazing at higher levels, you simply can't afford to lose all that defense, early on.

You can maintain the defene minimum through gear, enchants, and gemming. All of these options are easily changed as your gearset progresses.

Since these are the last pair of pants my DK tank will need for this expansion, I'm hardpressed to rationalize spending badges/gems/gold/time on any other option.

That being said, always keep your defense rating in mind.
cds4850

Postby yappo » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:21 pm

cds4850 wrote:
Gamingdevil wrote:None of the items crafted with PS are good for a beginning tank. Though amazing at higher levels, you simply can't afford to lose all that defense, early on.

You can maintain the defene minimum through gear, enchants, and gemming. All of these options are easily changed as your gearset progresses.

Since these are the last pair of pants my DK tank will need for this expansion, I'm hardpressed to rationalize spending badges/gems/gold/time on any other option.

That being said, always keep your defense rating in mind.

Allow me to chime in here as I DID indeed craft both the ICC slots very early on when building my experimental tank for testing the viability of a failsafe garing guide.

You need to understand that my ability to create WoW-gold was absurd in comparision with a "normal" dinging lvl 80. While 5k net gain a week is in no way a stunning achievement, it's still far beyond what's done by the average dinging main-character.

I had to destroy close to 10k in gems and enchants while juggling around the 540 as I progressed through my own list of failsafe gear. As I had an abundance of time and knew the 5-men in my sleep I chain-ran them 10 - 20 a day for a pretty brutal week.

Now, my secondary goal was to prove that a new tank can get to pug raids within a week of dinging 80 on a high pop server, so I was rather strict on getting myself what I considered a BiS setup for any given time (not meaning it objectively WAS a BiS setup).

My story in short: Gem full def, chant def on cloak. Get better gear, replace gem and chant. Get even better gear. Aim at stamina and replace chant on shield. Finally shop the needed prim-saronites from the AH. BLAM! Back to square one. Before I finally go the Cata chest I was gemmed and chanted in a way that would have the maintankadin community rolling me out in tar and feathers.

Looking in a mirror of time, maybe I OUGHT to have made a priority order concerning what gear to shop first in that list, but then I have vague memories of actually getting drops, and the order I happened to get those drops in would invalidate that priority order, and -- headache :D
yappo

Postby Protpally » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:33 pm

Hey,
TOC 25 gear is over rated. I hated t9, because it had no hit rating, and given the relative imbalance of prot pally aggro vs. warrior/dk, the lack of hit rating made it worse.

Dont bother with getting heroic lvl 200 gear either. You mentioned you have a priest financing your tank, then go to a few GDKP ICC 25 runs. Get pimped out in 2 weeks.

Things that I personally notice on newb tanks : weapons from heroics, brewfest trinkets, paladins with blood draining enchant on weapon, + defense chant to chest instead of + 275 health (+10 stats is mediocre), lvl 232 conquest gear (hate that).

Points to note:
1) In heroics : use seal of wisdom, raids: seal of corruption. Judge light.
2) Either be a main tank or a off tank, you cant be both. Choose talents accordingly.
3) Use wings for initial pull on single bosses with multiple tanks (you are MT) (eg. marrowgar, lana'thel)
4) Use consecrate sparingly (Yes I said it).
5) Use omen threat meter, ask the fcking warrior to stop dps, lock to soul shatter.
6) Get DBM, period.
7) Get the glyph of blessing of kings (uses lower mana), God knows, even in a 25 man raid with 20 paladins, you will probably be the only pally buffing.
8) Buff people, dont be lazy.
9) Ask your dps'ers to hold dps till you stop moving. Use arcane torrent (apart from avenger's shield) to pull spell casters close to you. We dont have warrior charge or DK death grip.
10) DONT fcking queue as a tank for random heroics until you are past 5.6k GS. If you get in to a group with people from Blackrock horde with anything less, we will cuss you out.

Quote:
Undergeared DK from Kiljaden : "So I am undergeared, why are you being mean to me? What did I do"
War tank from blackrock (6k GS) : "You teamed with blackrock!"
Protpally

Postby Teranoid » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:47 pm

Protpally wrote:Points to note:

I hope you are kidding.
Teranoid

Postby Archeth » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:14 pm

I realize he's the clown who made the "omg undergeared tonks don't queue with me hurrrr" thread so maybe I'm just falling for an elaborate troll, or I'm missing something else - but what exactly is with:

Protpally wrote:Things that I personally notice on newb tanks : weapons from heroics, brewfest trinkets, paladins with blood draining enchant on weapon, + defense chant to chest instead of + 275 health (+10 stats is mediocre), lvl 232 conquest gear (hate that).

Where else are "newb tanks" supposed to have their weapons from? What other options does a "newb" tank have for stamina trinkets? Unless they're using it on their threat weapon, why do you "notice" Blood Draining in a seemingly negative way? Why should a "newb" tank not use the defense enchant (assuming it's used to remain uncrittable or is a leftover from when he wasn't without that enchant)? And what's the problem with conquest gear?

Aside from that your reply to someone asking to help his new tank with cheap BoEs and craftables but not by blowing 10k gold on ICC BoEs is "go join an ICC-25 GDKP run". Really? That whole post is dripping with contempt for anyone not in ICC tank gear already. So basically you're suggesting that he shouldn't tank until geared for ICC-25. I can't see how that's helpful TBH.
Archeth

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:34 pm

Protpally wrote:1) In heroics : use seal of wisdom, raids: seal of corruption. Judge light.
10) DONT fcking queue as a tank for random heroics until you are past 5.6k GS.

Oh, man. I lol'd.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Barathorn » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:03 am

Protpally wrote:Hey,
TOC 25 gear is over rated. I hated t9, because it had no hit rating, and given the relative imbalance of prot pally aggro vs. warrior/dk, the lack of hit rating made it worse.

Dont bother with getting heroic lvl 200 gear either. You mentioned you have a priest financing your tank, then go to a few GDKP ICC 25 runs. Get pimped out in 2 weeks.

This isn't often an option for new tanks who have to go through a grim gearing process with over eager DPS at this stage of the expansion. Ilevel200 gear is fine to start with - ToC 5 man and ToC 5 man heroic offer a lot of good gear for a new tank. The suggested route is to follow Eanin's and Yappo's guides for the quickest route to be ready to raid current content.

Things that I personally notice on newb tanks : weapons from heroics, brewfest trinkets, paladins with blood draining enchant on weapon, + defense chant to chest instead of + 275 health (+10 stats is mediocre), lvl 232 conquest gear (hate that).

I forgot that new tanks were meant to be decked in ilevel251/264 as soon as then ding 80. You know this doesn't happen so don't spread misinformation please.

Points to note:

I would suggest that seal of vengence is the tanking seal of choice for bosses and that seal of command is the seal of choice for trash in all current content. Judge wisdom unless you have a Holy Paladin doing it for you. 1/2 Spiritual Attunement and the Gylph of Divine Plea are the suggested route.

2) Either be a main tank or a off tank, you cant be both. Choose talents accordingly.

Good advice.

3) Use wings for initial pull on single bosses with multiple tanks (you are MT) (eg. marrowgar, lana'thel)

Only if the aggro is sensitive I would suggest.

4) Use consecrate sparingly (Yes I said it).

I agree, unless aggro is sensitive.

5) Use omen threat meter, ask the fcking warrior to stop dps, lock to soul shatter.

Use a threatmeter definately, and make sure the DPS can hold off for a couple of seconds.

6) Get DBM, period.

Required by most guilds anyway.

7) Get the glyph of blessing of kings (uses lower mana), God knows, even in a 25 man raid with 20 paladins, you will probably be the only pally buffing.

If you are the only paladin buffing then there is a problem. The gylph choice isn't optimal for raiding either.

8) Buff people, dont be lazy.

I agree.

9) Ask your dps'ers to hold dps till you stop moving. Use arcane torrent (apart from avenger's shield) to pull spell casters close to you. We dont have warrior charge or DK death grip.

Line of sight pulls work better and cause less drama.

10) DONT fcking queue as a tank for random heroics until you are past 5.6k GS. If you get in to a group with people from Blackrock horde with anything less, we will cuss you out.

Well you must be the rudest people in WoW then, this is an absolutely daft thing to expect. You seen to want to big yourself up a lot, are you insecure? You don't need to be, we are all friends here.

Quote:
Undergeared DK from Kiljaden : "So I am undergeared, why are you being mean to me? What did I do"
War tank from blackrock (6k GS) : "You teamed with blackrock!"

:roll:

This reminds me of the 'I was born ready' moment from Ocean's Eleven.

Please do not post like this again. It is ill informed and gives completely the wrong message to new tanks. I appreciate you are entitled to your own opinion but this is not the sort of post I will tolerate in this forum. If you have a wealth of experience to share that is excellant and we welcome it here, but if you are here purely to troll and spread misinformation then your stay here will be short.

Barathorn
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Arjuna » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:24 am

Protpally wrote:<useless shit>

This guy is awesome, haven't had a good laugh like this in a while! :D
HUZZAH! How many points do I receive? :D
Arjuna

Postby Barathorn » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:39 am

Arjuna wrote:
Protpally wrote:<useless shit>

This guy is awesome, haven't had a good laugh like this in a while! :D

Don't feed him :wink: . He got enough attention last week.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Arjuna » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:52 am

Barathorn wrote:Don't feed him :wink: . He got enough attention last week.

ooh, guess I missed that :( (darn)
HUZZAH! How many points do I receive? :D
Arjuna

Next

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice