Wanting to tank

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Wanting to tank

Postby fizbanic » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:10 am

At about level 65 I specc'd prot, I am questing with my gf's dk, doing this may be a bit slow compared to ret but it gives me some time to spend with the tanking skills to get used to them. However I have now hit 71 and want to go and do some randoms, but I'm hitting a confidence wall in I feel that my defense is lacking (450 atm) as well as my health which is currently at 12k.

After reading time after time on the guides that are geared for level 80's I find that that info is useful for a level 80 not a level 71 and truly is a waste of my time right now. Do you think that with the current defense and health that I should que up or should I try for a bit more in either area?

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... cn=Orbital

Thanks
fizbanic

Re: Wanting to tank

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:13 am

Your gear looks fine. In fact, if your healer is anything beyond catatonic, most instances will be a breeze. Your biggest hurdle will be fight execution not gear. IE, don't stand in fire, pound, smash, etc.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby fizbanic » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:26 am

Thanks, fight execution shouldn't be a problem. this server is my horde server. On my alliace server I have 6 80's and in total haveg otten about 600 or so emblems so I know the dungeons and the bosses but was more worried about survivability. I know that with a great healer an under geared tank can still do well (one 80 is a healer).
fizbanic

Postby bldavis » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:45 am

like ghren said, your gear looks fine

in regular dungeons, esp the low 70's ones, its more execution then gear,

while leveling, ttry to get as much def/stam as you can, but as long as you have a shield and a decent amount of health, you should be fine with almost any healer.

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Uprisen » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:56 am

on a side note, around the mid level 70s some really good tanking gear becomes available. "tempered saronite" set are blue, BOE, and really cheap on the AH

http://www.wowhead.com/search?q=tempered+saronite

these will really help you get to defense cap so you can start farming triumph. i remember when i first decked out in tempered saronite i felt invincible :lol:
Uprisen

Postby Shoju » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:34 am

There is a couple of suggestions I would make to you.

There is a craftable stamina trinket Alchemists make. I would get a pair of them if primals are cheap on your server. Stam is stam, and stam is better than the other trinkets out there most of the time. I think they can be had for ~25g each on my server.

Check on the price of Knothide/Borean armor kits. They are pretty cheap most of the time, and will give you more health, and people will be less paranoid because they will see that you are at least trying to keep yourself in shape to tank.

There are fantastic tanking shoulders from a quest line in nexus. They are FANTASTIC. I replaced my t5 tanking shoulders with them when I leveled.

as you level though, make sure that you upgrade to the blue crafted pieces, and there are blue tanking quest rewards in Azjol nerub, several questlines in grizzly hills, and there is a great blue tanking weapon that you can get in zul'drak at level 74.
Shoju

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice