Remove Advertisements

Gear sets?

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Gear sets?

Postby purtywinkz » Tue May 25, 2010 3:49 am

Alright so I have trolled over this board and looked for information on this subject and I just could not find something that fully matched what I wanted to know. First off, http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... uritywinkz my armory for anyone who may be interested.

Here is my problem, so I am new to tanking. My main was a 6k GS rogue. Now I loved being a rogue but after i started tanking I found out I really liked it. However I have ran into a bunch of common problems. 1. Finding a raid is insanely hard with out being overly gear scored. Seriously I can't get into a damn toc 25 with out a 5.5 gs or higher. The fuck? Anyway, for anyone who has made it all the way to the top I now feel you're pain like I have not before. gearing this character has become like hell, although challenging at the same time.

What I am trying to do is get gear so I can tank all the way up to LK on 10 man. Now I know all the fights (aside from a few minor tank aspects which I have read up on) But I have ZERO idea about how the hell gear sets work. I am going to assume that aside from tier pieces and pieces that normally drop there is not much difference. So is this saying I should collect multiple tank gear and just enchant it differently to get a different result? Or is this all just based upon trinkets? Do I end up using ret pally gear for threat or a different weapon at some point?

Simply I need a general design on what type of things I should be giong for with sets. Now I understand probably having a good soak set (which is what i believe my char is currently running with) can be good for all fights through out ICC aside from maybe Sindra. I was wondering if someone could nail out a list of items I would want to look for and maybe a brief explanation of why? Sorry if this is a really noob question but I don't like to assume things than find out later i was wrong.
purtywinkz

Re: Gear sets?

Postby Harmacy » Tue May 25, 2010 4:27 am

Armor set for bosses that deal almost entirely physical damage (this works for pretty much anything besides Sindra, LK, or off-tanking BQL, or range-tanking Keleseth for that matter). Stam stacking for the aforementioned exceptions (personally I just aim for bonus armor gear, and swap between an armor trinket and a stam trinket). For farm content or fights where tank damage is a total non-issue (or off-tanking Fester or Sindra), use a slow 1h DPS weapon like Gutbuster or Frost Giant's Cleaver.

That's really all you need to know at your level of raiding (and I don't mean this in a derogatory way, my Paladin is much the same). Wrathy has many extensive writeups of how to organize your sets of progression gear, but that's really only necessary if you're in serious hardmodes. At your (our) gear and progession level, just having a few pieces to swap in and out will accomplish the job perfectly well. Right now I'm hit and expertise capped in my best (but still mediocre) EH gear, but if I weren't I would hold on to a little bit of that old gear just in case I have threat issues.

Some stuff with your armory:

- Mongoose > Blade Ward for a Paladin, because we get quite a bit from Agility (the haste ain't bad either).

- +275 health is more EH than +10 stats, and the other stats (a small amount of threat and a tiny amount of armor/avoidance) are not enough to make up for it.

- Your expertise is really low. I would get rid of the T9 helm (even if it means losing the bonus) in favor of the off-set Triumph helm, which has a nice chunk of expertise. Maybe swap out to the T9 shoulders, you lose a fair bit of stam and avoidance but picking up the extra threat might be worth it.

Spec looks good, glyphs look good.
Harmacy

Postby purtywinkz » Tue May 25, 2010 4:45 am

Thanks for you're reply, and no I am not offended my pally tank is still fairly new, and in the long run i would like to get into hard modes and serious business with that character. I haev a bad habbit of wanting to tweak things so they are about as good as they can get. If you happen to have the links to his guides I would really appreciate it, and the tips about the enchants i was wondering about that. I decided to go for blade ward thinking it would help my over all defense and I guess i did not think about it but you are right about the EH with the hp enchant over the +10 to stats. so thx for the info there that has helped a lot. and by offset helm are we talking about a ret triumph helm?
purtywinkz

Postby lythac » Tue May 25, 2010 4:48 am

Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets, covers gearsets.

With trinkets, they just happen to be the easiest thing to swap around without effecting the rest of your set. The same apllies to librams, the +200str EoT libram is great for theat.

Your gemming is a bit off, using your purple gem to activate meta and not picking up a socket bonus. Use an agi/sta in your helm and replace the dodge/stam with sta.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby lythac » Tue May 25, 2010 4:54 am

Faceplate of the Honorbound offset, not offspec.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Mert » Wed May 26, 2010 7:27 am

When initially gearing up toward Lich King I'd say simply look for items that offer more EH (Stam or Armor) potential and don't worry too much about having multiple sets and so on. While it's true that many tanks will carry an avoidance set, threat set, EH/MT set, block set and so on, it's by no means essential and is really the domain of the min/maxer working on bleeding edge progression.

Having said that, don't throw stuff away unless you get something that's a clear upgrade in every single stat (as Titanguard was over Last Laugh for Humans/Dorfs) because you never know when you'll want that piece with Block Rating on it or whatever - ask anyone who had to go back to Naxx and farm gear for their passive-unhittable set for Heroic Anub :lol:

As for your question about using Ret gear for threat, I think for most folk this is limited to the Tier 9 Strength Libram, a one-handed DPS weapon such as Bloodvenom and maybe a Darkmoon Card: Greatness or similar. There's not really a fight where these things are needed any more so it's really only for clearing through trash or Heroics a bit quicker.

Welcome to the fantastic world of Paladin tanking anyway - glad to hear you're enjoying it and best of luck with your gearing and eventual Kingslaying :D
Mert

Postby Epimer » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:07 am

alexdwsn12 wrote:A gear is a component within a transmission device that transmits rotational force to another gear or device. Spur gears are the simplest and most common type of gear. Select a gear pair to have the highest number of teeth consistent with a suitable safety margin in strength and wear.

Best spam bot ever.
Epimer

Postby Feanorion » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:12 am

purtywinkz wrote:1) I have ZERO idea about how the hell gear sets work.

2) I am going to assume that aside from tier pieces and pieces that normally drop there is not much difference.

3) So is this saying I should collect multiple tank gear and just enchant it differently to get a different result? Or is this all just based upon trinkets?

4) Do I end up using ret pally gear for threat or a different weapon at some point?

I take multiple gear sets to a possibly unhealthy extreme. I have a max-armor set, a max-stamina set, a general-purpose balanced tanking set, a frost-resist set for Sindi, a block-set (unused for months, but its still there--- just in case), and a high-threat/high dps set for trash and heroics. I also have 3 frostweave bags full of every interesting looking weapon I have used since level 18, and vanity sets of tier 5, tier 6, tier 8, tier 9, Bloodknight mail, Revenant, Kraken, Conqueror, and Bloodscale plate sets, complete with color-coordinated matching weapons/shields. "Fean is vain" is a well know understatement on Farstriders horde-side.

Even if you are less insane than I am, throw no gear away. It can all come in handy at some point.

1) Make different sets of gear with a specific plan and goal in mind. Look at your available gear, and assess each piece's strength and weakness. It is perfectly reasonable to see a paladin striding into a heroic in tier 7 with the Skull of Ruin shield because those pieces have a lot of block rating on them. Block sucks in raids, but is awesome in heroics. For armor, the ToC twin Valkyr ring and the triumph badge Clutch of Fortification have armor on them, and so until you get Devium's Eternally Cold Ring, these two last-tier pieces are better for maximum EH than the ICC era rings. Likewise, the Ardent Guard also has bonus armor on it; neither the Bonebreaker Scepter nor the Facelifter do, so if maximizing survival is the goal, the ToC weapon is possibly the better choice.

2) Wrong. As far wrong as possible. For paladins, the ilvl 251/264 tier gear is often markedly inferior to the other options. I would take the Broken Ram Skull Helm all day long and twice on Sundays over the tier helm until heroic sanctified--- and probably then as well. The Cataclysmic Chestguard is clearly superior to the tier chest imo, and if you don't need the tier gloves for hit (which I did) then the Gauntlets of the Kraken are better. The biggest disparity are the Pillars of Might vs. the tier 10 pants. No question, no contest: PoM is superior to the tier pants by a mile.

3) Trinkets are a big part, but weapons and other bits play their part as well. Your main bits probably won't change (helm, chest, shoulders) but the rest is always subject to change.

4) I do. Ret pants (tier ret pants are good), boots, trinkets, and a slow one-hand dps weapon (Frost Giant's Cleaver).
Feanorion

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice