Different Gear Sets

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Different Gear Sets

Postby Sugarkills » Mon May 03, 2010 9:22 am

Hello Maintankadin.

Have been a follower of the site since TBC. But as I am a main spec Ret raider I have never really had the need to post. However I play as prot multiple times a week ((Marrowgar and Deathwhisper 25 man HMs) 11/12 10 Man HMs with LK attempts as of this week) . My question / advice is as follows. Although I am not too sure if Rawr is accurate for prot I often find myself browsing through it. I see that Rawr lists gear under the following catagories: Overall, Survival, Mitigration and Threat. This got me wondering should I have a different tank set to fit all those individual roles or just 1 generic tank set? If somebody could perhaps list what set would be used on which ICC bosses that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Sugarkills
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 9:08 am

Re: Different Gear Sets

Postby Fenrìr » Mon May 03, 2010 9:33 am

I run two prot sets. One for straight up zomg health and one that has so much armor a bear would cry (ok, not really, but the point is still there). However, the difference between these are at best, 4 or so pieces. I carry multiple trinkets but have kind of fallen on just dual stam ones. My bank carries a frost set for Sindra (which I don't carry until I need it) and I also carry around token ret pieces for a 'oh look, I'm tank beating you on dps'.




EDIT: I suppose the best way to summarize this would be as follows:

If you're serious about tanking, any serious tank carries multiple gear sets for different situations. Be ready for anything cause you don't want a wipe pinned on you.
Image
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:41 am

Re: Different Gear Sets

Postby Digren » Mon May 03, 2010 9:43 am

I have carry a set with maximum effective health [(armor / 10) + stamina] and a set that provides slightly better threat (by switching in a ret hit rating trinket). Yes, at this point the sets only differ by one slot, but I expect to expand this by gemming and enchanting spare T10 gear as threat gear. (For example, T10 hands are worse than Gauntlets of the Kraken for effective health, but T10 hands with a +threat enchant and strength or hit rating gems would be good for threat when my survival isn't a concern.)

I keep enough gear, however, to also pull out a block cap + max block value set and a maximum avoidance set and a maximum pure health set. Most of this gear is merely banked but I keep it, as I do every piece of gear from WotLK. There's no reason to throw anything away until they increase the level cap, because you never know when they'll come up with a boss that requires some sort of gimmick set to tank.
User avatar
Digren
Moderator
 
Posts: 2139
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: Different Gear Sets

Postby bldavis » Mon May 03, 2010 9:48 am

i have my main tanking set thats max eh
i also have a lolheroic set (that i hardly ever put on, i just tank heroics in MTgear) that is hit-capped, soft-capped on expertise, and im still at 36k unbuffed and 552 def.

then there is my avoidence set, but sadly im only around 73% avoidence w/o libram proc.

but yes i have several tanking sets, in addition to my pve/pvp ret sets
Image

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
User avatar
bldavis
 
Posts: 7382
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:04 pm
Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Re: Different Gear Sets

Postby golfinguy » Mon May 03, 2010 10:44 am

I'm in the same situation, as my main spec is ret.

I have three different configurations - like most a standard max EH set (although I've been terribly unlucky on head and shoulder drops), a set I use for added threat where I just swap out the weapon (to Gutbuster at this time) and use Greatness in a trink slot - then finally the set I run randoms with that includes all the ret pieces I can fit while still having 540 defense (this one is fun to play with :P ).

As an off-spec I don't have quite the choices as someone who's first in gear drops - but have done fairly well.
golfinguy
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:24 am

Re: Different Gear Sets

Postby bldavis » Mon May 03, 2010 10:54 am

golfinguy wrote:I'm in the same situation, as my main spec is ret.

I have three different configurations - like most a standard max EH set (although I've been terribly unlucky on head and shoulder drops), a set I use for added threat where I just swap out the weapon (to Gutbuster at this time) and use Greatness in a trink slot - then finally the set I run randoms with that includes all the ret pieces I can fit while still having 540 defense (this one is fun to play with :P ).

As an off-spec I don't have quite the choices as someone who's first in gear drops - but have done fairly well.


i think i need to configure a new heroic set, my is mostly prot peices....

and for heroics you only need 535 :twisted:
Image

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
User avatar
bldavis
 
Posts: 7382
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:04 pm
Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Re: Different Gear Sets

Postby Wrathy » Wed May 12, 2010 10:26 pm

Sugarkills wrote: But as I am a main spec Ret raider I have never really had the need to post. However I play as prot multiple times a week ((Marrowgar and Deathwhisper 25 man HMs) 11/12 10 Man HMs with LK attempts as of this week) .


With your caveat on how you tank, It is probably not really necessary that you gear up with multiple gear sets. If your guilds system for acquiring gear is predisposed to you getting anything you want, then by all means pick up more gear and use the pieces to their fullest.

I am a bit biased on gear sets, because it is one of the things i am passionate about and love to theorycraft on, however what it comes down to for an off tank, especially on the fights you listed, is that you need an effective health set which stresses stamina and armor over all other stats, for when you are soaking on marrowgar, however deathwhisper hard mode (especially if you are on adds) will lend itself to threat or frost resist depending on your role in the fight. As it is only 10 man, you can get away with EH on this fight too as you will be swapping tanks on the boss and having to tank the add and the boss at certain times. If you are doing 25 mans, you may only be on adds the whole time, and threat sets will make a world of difference for snap aggro on three mobs.

With respect to Rawr, it is a great tool for many things, but not prot paladins. It values different stats than we have proven to be the bread and butter of our gearing philosophies. I would say that you check out digren's guild on gemming and enchanting, and my guide on gear sets (linked in our signatures) in order to get a better idea of priority and gearing philosophy, and if you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Image
Wrathy
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 548
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:17 pm

Re: Different Gear Sets

Postby lythac » Thu May 13, 2010 5:02 am

bldavis wrote:
golfinguy wrote:I'm in the same situation, as my main spec is ret.

I have three different configurations - like most a standard max EH set (although I've been terribly unlucky on head and shoulder drops), a set I use for added threat where I just swap out the weapon (to Gutbuster at this time) and use Greatness in a trink slot - then finally the set I run randoms with that includes all the ret pieces I can fit while still having 540 defense (this one is fun to play with :P ).

As an off-spec I don't have quite the choices as someone who's first in gear drops - but have done fairly well.


i think i need to configure a new heroic set, my is mostly prot peices....

and for heroics you only need 535 :twisted:


531 if you don't have threat shoulders and use your normal EH ones.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
User avatar
lythac
Moderator
 
Posts: 2687
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:10 am

Re: Different Gear Sets

Postby Vrimmel » Thu May 13, 2010 7:46 pm

For me the need of many different sets just isn't there any more. Sure, I might need a block set for anub hc and a frost res set for Sindragosa, but other than that I don't feel like I'm ever in a situation where my standard set isn't good enough. The gear today is so balanced that there's hardly any need for anything other than a MT set other than to show off. Yes, you can outthreat the rest of the raid by far if you want to, or take a bit less damage on the trash your healers already had no problem healing you on, but itemization on tanking gear now that the MT set is very good for all situations.
Vrimmel
 
Posts: 363
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:40 am

Re: Different Gear Sets

Postby econ21 » Tue May 18, 2010 1:16 am

Is it only raid bosses that require higher defence than heroics or does raid trash also have higher requirements? I have a "seal of command" gear set (different libram and more threat pieces) and I am wondering if I can safely use it for ICC trash, switching to my survival gear set for bosses.
econ21
 
Posts: 1379
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:53 am

Re: Different Gear Sets

Postby lythac » Tue May 18, 2010 2:08 am

econ21 wrote:Is it only raid bosses that require higher defence than heroics or does raid trash also have higher requirements? I have a "seal of command" gear set (different libram and more threat pieces) and I am wondering if I can safely use it for ICC trash, switching to my survival gear set for bosses.


Depends on the level of the trash. Wowhead doesn't list any trash as being 83.

Code: Select all
Level  Crit   Def
83/??  5.6    540
82     5.4    535
81     5.2    530
80     5.0    525

-4 def with 15 Res
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
User avatar
lythac
Moderator
 
Posts: 2687
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:10 am


Return to Gear Discussions and Advice

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: KysenMurrin and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: KysenMurrin and 1 guest