Trinket Comparison Discussion.

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Trinket Comparison Discussion.

Postby Xivik » Sun May 02, 2010 1:40 pm

So, I'm pretty bored of having the black heart, I can't honestly say I like it's passive proc purely because I can't control it and it always seems to go off at the worst time.

I have heroic Eitriggs Oath (or Fervor of the Frostborn for you who don't recognise the horde equivilent). I'm wondering if it would be any better to use in general, and can't decide myself, so I've come here for opinions etc. I like how I can use its use whenever I like, even though with just a single target attacking me it's only going to provide the 7.5k armor for about 10 seconds every 2 minutes, with 1.5-6k over the other 10 seconds. I also feel that might even be generous for the rate it would get 5 stacks from a single target. This is compared to having 7k for 20 seconds every 2 minutes, although when that occurs can be utter shit because of its 25% proc chance, then 45 seconds cd. Which to me basically reads 1 ppm.

I also don't know if this is just me but I prefer having one trinket with a passive proc and one with a use proc, which is the setup I have atm, so this kinda makes me prefer the black heart, but its not the sort of passive proc that i'd prefer, corpse tongue is more like it.#

I've kinda lost my train of thought here tbh, so. Controllable proc, but does that make up for how it might actually be inferior? Is it even inferior? :/ Combined with dodge in place of stam...

I personally think I might replace it. Also, e-peen isn't something i'm considering here. My GS goes up, visual health goes down. Meh.

If anything this might come down to just EO discussion, we'll see. Armory profile is in my signature, incase you don't notice.
Xivik Armory Profile.
Xivik

Re: Trinket Comparison Discussion.

Postby Fenrìr » Sun May 02, 2010 1:53 pm

At that stage of the game, I purely wanted controllable trinkets. I found it in Heart of Iron. I loved the stam from it and the dodge 'on use' ability just gave me all kinds of warm fuzzies knowing that when I needed it, it was there. I ran this in conjunction with, at the time, Jugg's Vitality (screw you alliance!!!! <3).

However, we're no longer able to do this and I run 2 dual stam trinkets 95% of the time (Sindra's Flawless and Corroded Skele ((I think I push almost 50.2k unbuffed)) ).

I will, quite literally, kill for a high stam 'on use' dodge trinket again.

EDIT: I find it quite annoying that as tanks, we have 1 to 2 items at best for each slot of our gear to gun for while DPS/healers get the seemingly wonderful choice of dropping haste for mp4 or crit. Yes, I'm well aware of the ratio of healers/dps to tanks in a 25 man raid. But with our only defense tanking weapon coming from LK while there's 2 to 3 for any other spec/class out there, just irritates me.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby Xivik » Sun May 02, 2010 2:05 pm

I'm not highly likely to see JV any time soon rly :) I raid exclusively through pugs, self led, mostly icc with the majority of my progress focused on ICC10. Combined with the quality of pugs on my server when looking at those interested in toc25, the level of interest and the liekly competition. I'm not getting my hopes up :)

I'm hoping to eventually replace it with unidentifiable organ, just need it to bloody drop, I'm sure overall it'll be better than black heart. But those are what I have immediately available.
Xivik Armory Profile.
Xivik

Postby Fenrìr » Sun May 02, 2010 2:32 pm

I have an avid hatred for that trinket. It has a poor uptime and the only time I could ever see the full buff staying up is in my 10 man, for my warrior tank, as he tanks the two melee princes. Outside of that...I don't like having to ramp up 10 stacks for 270 stam and then pray that I don't get an a wonderful string of dodges/parries/misses that causes that stam to go away. While the armor is nice, yes, you'd probably be better off going with Corpse Tongue or at the very least, Glyph of Indomitability. (Unless Theck has produced new numbers, over the course of a fight, it's 99% likely that your 270 stam will fall off over the course of a 3 min fight...equating to around 135 stam not including the passive armor.)

*makes a note to scavenge around again as I don't keep up with bad trinkets...*

In any case, normal ToC 25 pugs are quite easily able to kill Faction Champs (granted I don't know your server). Ignis is even easier, especially if you get him as a raid weekly. Even then, you should only have, at best, 1 other competition for a tanking trinket.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby Koatanga » Sun May 02, 2010 3:14 pm

Fenrìr wrote:I find it quite annoying that as tanks, we have 1 to 2 items at best for each slot of our gear to gun for while DPS/healers get the seemingly wonderful choice of dropping haste for mp4 or crit. Yes, I'm well aware of the ratio of healers/dps to tanks in a 25 man raid. But with our only defense tanking weapon coming from LK while there's 2 to 3 for any other spec/class out there, just irritates me.

There are only 3 tanks per 25-man raid, so it follows that item variety would favour the other members of the raid.

As as aside, I never understood that math... 1 tank per 5, 2 tanks per 10 (good so far...) then 3 tanks per 25. Um, what happened to the other two?

Anyway, back on subject.

I've been running the Key with the Glyph of Indomitability, but with stam being buffed by Wrynn and armour not being buffed, I am leaning toward a 2nd stam trinket.

I don't rate avoidance at all as a stat anymore, except for gimmick fights. It just doesn't fit with the pre-emptive healing model. I'm hoping it will make a comeback for Cataclysm, because I really like the concept of avoiding damage.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby fuzzygeek » Sun May 02, 2010 3:29 pm

Xivik wrote:I'm hoping to eventually replace it with unidentifiable organ, just need it to bloody drop, I'm sure overall it'll be better than black heart. But those are what I have immediately available.

When evaluating the organ, don't even take the stam proc into consideration. Personally I think Fenrir is (in general) overvaluating stam and underestimating armor, but depending on your progression level and raid, different things will work for you.

I personally wear the Heroic Organ and Glyph of Indom, until it's time to work on h.LK, at which time I'll swap in the Key and Fang.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Fenrìr » Mon May 03, 2010 1:22 am

Sure, I'm old fashioned...I love my stam. I find it more often than not the things that kill me are magical damage. It's been a very, very long time since I've had to worry about a melee swing deciding to tear my face off. In general though, when it does happen (Sindra.......) it's because of a horrible resist on her breath, then she decides to cleave and then gets parry hasted by a melee standing a bit forward. Heroic LK on the other hand, I love my armor, hence why I use CTC cause when I'm in the proc range for it, I need that armor...and it will always proc when I need it too.

But yes, in general, I hate pure armor trinkets with a bad secondary use; granted that's essentially all we have to work with now a days.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby Boyfriend » Mon May 03, 2010 1:34 am

I strongly disagree on CTC proc being as useful as you say.

It procs at 35% health, when it procs you're somewhere between 0 and 25k health (roughly).
At that point the extra armor won't save you, you'll get oneshot by anything hitting reasonably hard.
Unless you get a heal, but if you get the heal you probably don't need the armor any more than usual; the armor might still be helpful, but its not any more helpful now than it is at any other given moment.

Commendation of Kael'thas was amazing because avoidance could actually save you from that next hit at <35%, armor can't do that; you're still relying on getting a heal after the proc.

[Edit: I can see that CTC might be useful when tanking through soul reapers, but I have never had issues with that since we swap tanks in P2 and I soak in P3; we have never had a death to soul reaper yet]
Boyfriend
Maintankadonor

Postby Argali » Mon May 03, 2010 5:17 am

Only cause your healers are good. I've died through a soul reaper while having shield wall up.
Argali

Postby Fenrìr » Mon May 03, 2010 7:52 am

My healers are damn spot on. I just personally like having that extra 6.5k armor to push me to armor cap during that very brief time of sweating it out.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Mon May 03, 2010 10:01 am

Fenrìr wrote:EDIT: I find it quite annoying that as tanks, we have 1 to 2 items at best for each slot of our gear to gun for while DPS/healers get the seemingly wonderful choice of dropping haste for mp4 or crit. Yes, I'm well aware of the ratio of healers/dps to tanks in a 25 man raid. But with our only defense tanking weapon coming from LK while there's 2 to 3 for any other spec/class out there, just irritates me.

huh?

surely your not above running a fast 10 man, Bone Breaker and Facelifter

and heroic versions Facelifter and Bonebreaker

edit: as far as my trinkets, i use The Key and The Glyph while swapping in Brewfest when i need extra stam
Last edited by bldavis on Tue May 04, 2010 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Fenrìr » Mon May 03, 2010 10:27 am

I'm talking in regards to 25 man ICC. Which I did state in the edit.

To be quite frank, you just listed the only trinket I hate worse than the other one up there. Sure, they're easy to get...but at the time they came out, Heart of Iron was just as easy to acquire and still is...and actually has a very useful 'on use'.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon May 03, 2010 11:05 am

Something we do to keep healers sharp is to bring fewer of them. :D That's probably the major benefit for armor over stam (reducing damage taken per second) at this point of the ICC buff (speaking generally, and specific magic damage aside (Sindra's a frost set, hLK a different beast entirely, etc)).

It's a shame we don't have a new Commendation. Pretty sure every endgame tank wore that, and perhaps they didn't like the homogenization, so decided to go with a bunch of half assed trinkets instead to make the choice "interesting" since deciding between several mediocre items is "fun."
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Ardrhyst » Tue May 04, 2010 8:21 am

Koatanga wrote:but with stam being buffed by Wrynn and armour not being buffed, I am leaning toward a 2nd stam trinket.

This is actually why I have recently switched to double armor trinkets. My guild only does ICC25 normal, as we have a few too many moderate raiders (not to mention attendance problems lately...) to breach LK25, and I find that even with double armor trinkets I'm still at around 60k HP when fully buffed now. To me, that's more than enough HP to survive anything in normal ICC25, and I'd rather buff up on mitigation than get an extra stamina bouncepad that I don't feel is necessary.

Obviously, if you're rolling up against heroic Festergut or heroic Lich King, that changes things a bit, but I think it's important to keep the stamina threshold of the encounters you face in mind.
Biggest Game Hunter, as well as collector of pets and mounts. Currently hunting paladins' former glory.
Ardrhyst
Maintankadonor

Postby Ventras » Wed May 05, 2010 1:51 am

I love stamina trinkets with powerful on-use abilities, so going Sindragosa’s + Heroic Satrina’s most of the fights in ICC25H. 8)
“In war, victory. In peace, vigilance. In death, sacrifice.”
Ventras

Next

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice