Remove Advertisements

Tanking Weapons

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Tanking Weapons

Postby tanker38 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:08 am

ok so I'm using Last word from Prof Putricide reg. 25 and was just wondering what y'all thought of it and do y'all think last word is one of the best over all weapons for threat and mitigation and what about for just threat
tanker38

Re: Tanking Weapons

Postby golfinguy » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:58 pm

I little investment in 'search' and some thread browsing would better answer your question than my opinion, however.....

Its a great overall tank weapon (IMO). Its great for threat so some will put Accuracy on it and use it as such. Others think the proc is good for progression too, so may put a more defensive enchant on it and use it for progression. I.e., its a great overall tank weapon.

Personally I put accuracy on all my tank weapons for two reasons. 1) I'm irrationally obsessed with threat. and 2) Its my off-spec so I'm not often tanking progression(heroic) attempts.
golfinguy

Postby tanker38 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:39 pm

as far as enchants go i use mongoose cause i have heard and been told its the best for prot pallys idk about other tanking classes
tanker38

Postby Senet » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:05 pm

I've been happy going back to mongoose on my main tanking weapon for progression. I think I have been using it now for a few months.
Senet

Postby Raivnor » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:48 pm

I put Blood Draining on most tank weapons for the survivability, but in the case of LW I use Mongoose because it already provides it's own survivability tool in the proc. It's usefulness depends on what you need: it's strong threat as far as tank weapons go and the proc beefs up heals on you and judgement of light. So if you often find yourself in a situation where you're waiting on that next heal and have to hold out just a little bit longer then this is the weapon for you hands down. You do, however, lose the defensive stats of other weaps and in the case of icc 10 weaps you lose the very vital stats of hit or exp, which can cost you threat.

TL;DR: If you find you need more hit, expertise, or avoidance; this isn't for you. If you find you need harder hits and a little more healing, enjoy!
Raivnor

Postby golfinguy » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:32 pm

Had no intention of turning this into a weapon enchant thread - sorry. I think far too much discussion over them already takes place. Sometimes it seems a lot of noise for factors on the wrong side of the decimal point in the grand scheme of things.

Then again, that's what we do here - measure the gnats ass and discuss saddles :wink:
golfinguy

Postby Candoric » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:02 pm

Got my 277 Last Word today and for me it is the "end-all" weapon of this addon.

I do not like hit or expertise on my tanking weapons too much - I am soft-capped on expertise and if taunts are vital you can always slap in a glyph. Ideal was Crusaders Glory back then, with no dump stats whatsoever it still has a special place in my heart. Seeing how there is no comparable "pure" weapon in ICC I looked a bit around and tried out Last Word as a threat option first. I am now completely sold on it.

There are actually phases in ICC (especially with the heavy buff) where you are not completely topped off but not healed to full in 0.2 seconds either and in addition, with beacon on me, I am spreading the heal buff to my offtank as well (He hates the weapon but to each his own).

Threat is very nice too - at Deathwhisper heroic for instance all MDs and ToTs go to the Deathwhisper tanks and seeing how I am usually on add control this is a godsend.

In short I would think it is a very valid and solid option to choose.
Candoric

Postby Vorianloken » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:18 am

If you browse Theckd's tanking weapons discussion thread you will know how good Last Word is.

TL;DR - It's the best tanking threat weapon and an overall solid choice for this expansion.
Vorianloken - 80 Prot/Ret || Ajeet - 80 Frost Tank/Unholy DPS || Nunnaly - 80 Cat/Tree Druid || Bulveye - 74 Protection Warrior || Sherana - 80 Combat Rogue || Shadallas - 40 Demo Warlock

US-Medivh Power! 7th April 2010 - The day when Dual-Wield Frost Tanking was assassinated. R.I.P my dear friend.
Vorianloken

Postby Barathorn » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:56 am

We don't need multiple threads on tanking weapons so I am locking this one.

Barathorn
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice