Rings, Rings, Rings...

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: Rings, Rings, Rings...

Postby Candoric » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:31 pm

I just looked at some of my logs tonight.. Either I was really unlucky or the Ashen Verdict ring is some sort of bad joke. Uptime of average 4% on Putricide 25. It procced exactly two times - the whole fight. This thing is shelved.
Candoric

Postby theckhd » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:21 am

Candoric wrote:I just looked at some of my logs tonight.. Either I was really unlucky or the Ashen Verdict ring is some sort of bad joke. Uptime of average 4% on Putricide 25. It procced exactly two times - the whole fight. This thing is shelved.

It's a bad joke, the proc rate is very low and thus so is the uptime. The only advantage it has is that it's a high-stam (and high-ilvl) ring that can be easily obtained without doing anything but clearing ICC trash. And it also has some hit on it, which is nice for threat. Just pretend the proc isn't even there when comparing it to other rings.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Talderas » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:26 am

theckhd wrote:
Candoric wrote:I just looked at some of my logs tonight.. Either I was really unlucky or the Ashen Verdict ring is some sort of bad joke. Uptime of average 4% on Putricide 25. It procced exactly two times - the whole fight. This thing is shelved.

It's a bad joke, the proc rate is very low and thus so is the uptime. The only advantage it has is that it's a high-stam (and high-ilvl) ring that can be easily obtained without doing anything but clearing ICC trash. And it also has some hit on it, which is nice for threat. Just pretend the proc isn't even there when comparing it to other rings.

And the exalted version has a gem socket...
Vanifae wrote:Let it be known that on the morning of the 25th of March in the year of our Lord 2010, I agree with Minnerva.
Talderas

Postby theckhd » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:36 am

Talderas wrote:And the exalted version has a gem socket...

Yes, but so does every relevant normal-mode ring that drops in ICC. Chances are you'll see at least one of those before getting your rep ring to 277 unless all you do are pre-marrowgar trash clears.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:11 am

blakk wrote:yes armor mitigation is dependent on boss level. for an 83 the armor cap is 49.9k

Interesting. Do you have a source for this? I'm not certain why phys damage mit would be level dependent, and honestly I think this is the first time I've seen this mentioned, but armor hasn't traditionally been dissected as thoroughly as the combat tables.

I'm pretty sure I could hit this -- or get stupidly close -- with some finagling, consumables, and procs. ^_^
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:21 am

fuzzygeek wrote:
blakk wrote:yes armor mitigation is dependent on boss level. for an 83 the armor cap is 49.9k

Interesting. Do you have a source for this? I'm not certain why phys damage mit would be level dependent, and honestly I think this is the first time I've seen this mentioned, but armor hasn't traditionally been dissected as thoroughly as the combat tables.

It's pretty easily testable in-game. A level 40 warrior has 40%~ mitigation through armor and takes 200 damage from an equal level target. Same warrior, now level 80, but still with 40% mitigation now takes 20 damage from a level 40 target. Your character sheet armor mit is based on an equal level target and scales up or down depending on what's attacking you.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:46 am

Grehn|Skipjack wrote:
fuzzygeek wrote:

It's pretty easily testable in-game. A level 40 warrior has 40%~ mitigation through armor and takes 200 damage from an equal level target. Same warrior, now level 80, but still with 40% mitigation now takes 20 damage from a level 40 target. Your character sheet armor mit is based on an equal level target and scales up or down depending on what's attacking you.

Och, yeah, I'm stupid. I was thinking lower level gear = less armor = lower % mit. Didn't take the % into account.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Fenrìr » Sun May 02, 2010 10:07 am

Boyfriend wrote:I was talking about LK-25 hc, where you will not tank LK rest of fight, since you will be solely concerned with blowing up spirits in phase 5, and only tanking LK for a couple of seconds during soul reaper.
And Enraged adds 1 shot you in P1, Frenzied adds hit about as hard as 3 stack festergut; all tanks that have killed it so far used avoidance gear.

Since the original poster was talking about hard mode loot, I assumed NORMAL LK was a nonissue.

Not entirely true, mate, in terms of what 'you will be solely' doing. I max out my armour for this fight and I tank adds in P1 and LK for the rest of the time. Our warrior tank soaks. I rarely die to a frenzied/enraged add hit and I've been debating swapping out CTC out for my CSK just to push the AD range higher...but it's just not convincing enough yet.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby Boyfriend » Mon May 03, 2010 1:01 am

I'm confused, you're using a terrible avoidance trinket but also using a ring with the worst armor->stam ratio available?

That makes no sense, if you value avoidance enough to use CTC over any stamina or armor trinket then it makes no sense to use an ilevel 245 ring to get some more armor.

Obviously your gearing will depend on what exactly you're doing on this fight; but this discussion is about [Juggernaut Band] vs. [Band of the Twin Val'kyr]

If you are willing to sacrifice 21 sta, 38 str, 12 defense, 11 dodge, 54 parry for 532 armor then I don't see why you would sacrifice 228 stamina for 172 dodge rating.
Boyfriend
Maintankadonor

Postby Fenrìr » Mon May 03, 2010 1:30 am

Point given in terms of the ring. But I was only commenting on the fact of don't assume every guild out there is solely using a paladin tank to soak and not the other way around.

I don't use either of those rings. Granted Jugg Band has only dropped once and the warrior took it. But I use the Ony trinket for the higher armor value over Twin Valk. I am giving up a bit of avoidance and still using an avoidance ring; but I think the pay off for the higher armor is worth it.

I do tend to feel a little differently in regards to CTC for 25 Heroic LK. Yes, avoidance is always a chance, but considering 9 times out of 10, the armor proc is more useful than the overall static stam. (Yes, I'm aware I posted elsewhere I love my stam.) However, there is only one ability in the entire fight that I sweat anything and that's Soul Reapers and the following 5 second buff the LK gets for melee attacks. I'll take the armor proc.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Previous

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice