List of tank weapons?

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

List of tank weapons?

Postby Vakon » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:21 pm

Hello all!

First off, awesome site! It's helped a ton.

I'm new to tanking, other than leveling my BE pally prot from level 1. Maybe a months play time total. Im in the air force and have a hectic schedule so I play when I can... Currenly lvl 76.

I'm using this site and its abundance of info regularly.

My question is, there a list of current tanking weapons? I'm firewall challenged here so some things fail to load sometimes. I'm using the mace from the Ragemane quest in Zuldrak area. It's 1.6 speed tho, but was better dps than BOA Venerable mace... This might be a silly question, I dunno. Gear at this level doesn't last long. From what I've gathered, I need to shoot for getting one of the drops from the new ICC 5's asap...that will hold me over till I'm in the raiding scene and hoping for that good drop!

Like I said, I'm leveling prot, nothing against our holy/ret brothers....but damn prot is fun! I do quest and take the gear from those, but I instance alot. Seems thats whats best for learning what you can do and when to use what in that "oh shite!" situation. Questing to 80 can't give you that.

So far no one has left grp/kicked me.....if they do it will be due to my..umm charge in and immediatly start destroying as much as I think the healer can keep me alive during antics. I MAY have watched too many pally tanking related videos... I know I'll have to tone down my carelessness for heros/raids, but hey...we are paladins right....we are supposed to be overconfident!

I'd link armory...etc but at 76 I think its pointless. I currently sit at 499 def, 19k+..sometimes 20K hp in reg instances, almost 20k armor, and with HS about 80% avoidance. It's amazing the beating a paladin can take....

I'm done yapping! Again, excellent site! Loads of info...
Vakon

Re: List of tank weapons?

Postby Koatanga » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:19 pm

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Pally Tanking.

There is a tank weapon you can get as a quest reward for killing the big fish in Zul Drak. If memory served, the axe is the better one, but it's been a very long time.

From there, there's a couple ways you can go. There is a sword in heroic Pinnacle (Red Sword of Courage), or the axe you can purchase from the Argent Tournament via dailies (quite a few).

Sure the stuff in the new ICC instances is superior, but an under-geared tank is asking for trouble in there. Would be best to do the normal heroics first to get some basic gear.

And one minor thing: Block is not avoidance. Avoidance is dodge + parry + miss.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Vakon » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:41 pm

Tourney dailys....I forgot all about those weapons lol.... 3 dps 80's and a 80 resto shaman, you think I would have remembered!.... I'll have some 5600 gs 10/12 ICC close friends to help in the gear runs as well.

My bad on the avoidance thing....80ish block with HS is what I meant to say :D
Vakon

Postby bldavis » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:48 pm

it sounds like your off to a great start!

i can only repeat the RSoC is an amazing starting weapon, there is also Infantry assult blade from H-UK that another good one.

i would run your tourney dailies and get that ax asap, then start looking into the icc 5mans for a new wep, such as Rimfangs claw or Falrics Wrist chopper, both great tanking weapons.

id link but im tired (and feeling kinda lazy right now)
good luck and happy tanking!

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Vakon » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:20 am

Well, hopefully my luck hold for heroic drops....seems every reg I run the tanking related drop does in fact drop.....bet I'm jinxing myself though now!
Vakon

Postby NeoArmada » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:40 am

Yes, indeed welcome to Tankadin Central :)

Assuming you are at level 80 and starting to work on your gear: I would seek out the drop in Utgarde Pinnacle, I cant remember what its called, or if it drops on heroic or normal mode lol, but I know that I used it for a while. If you manage to get that, then it will last you while u can fine tune some of your other gear, then go for Rimfang's Claw, which drops from the last boss on PoS Heroic. This will last you all the way until ICC 10, so its definately worh putting in some time to try and get. Also, I would recomend putting your Armory link on the Gear Check/Advice thread, I do it all the time and the input from other players really helps a lot.

Hope that helped some!
NeoArmada

Postby Vakon » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:02 am

Not 80 yet... 76.5 but going into my weekend....so I predict 80. Hopefully by Monday night I'm knee deep in heros lol! Should have my buddies on to help out. I've dps'd and healed everything in the game up to and including rotface...so I just need to get the tanking bit of the fights down. I started the pally since my work schedule kinda is not raid friendly. I should get some raid time on pally though...we will see.

Ty all for the advice!
Vakon

Postby ginga-uk » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:05 am

From Eanin's guide...

Weapon:
Hammer of Quiet Mourning (Quest: Wanted:Ragemane's Flipper)

From Yappo's guide...

Forge of Souls, normal difficulty drops:
ilevel 219 [Lucky Old Sun]

Debatable if FoS (normal) is easier or harder than UP (heroic)... It is however easier to farm, since it's normal mode. First boss too.... Although personally I dislike that instance since the mobs are spaced too far apart, and too many of them cast...

Volkhan on normal HoL also drops.. Eternally Folded Blade.

And now i've posted items, I guess I should go read the "how to link items on these forums" post....
ginga-uk

Postby Barathorn » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:37 am

Basically if RNG smiled upon you the progression path for weaponry was traditionally,

1/ Weapon from [Ragemane's Flipper] quest
2/ Eternally Folded Blade/Infantry Assualt Blade
3/ Red Sword of Courage
4/ Weapon from [Raid] of your choice.

Now you can basically get the 'Peacekeepers Blade' or 'Lucky Old Sun' pretty much as soon as you are able and then progress onto 'Rimefangs Claw' and/or 'Falrics Wrist Chopper' as soon as you are ready.

From there the mace from Lord Marrowgar is within your grasp. Weapons are not a problem if RNG is kind in WotLK.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Vakon » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:41 pm

Wewt! Thx for all the info!
Vakon

Postby bldavis » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:14 am

Ginga-uk wrote:From Eanin's guide...

Weapon:
Hammer of Quiet Mourning Quest: Wanted:Ragemane's Flipper

From Yappo's guide...

Forge of Souls, normal difficulty drops:
ilevel 219 Lucky Old Sun

Debatable if FoS (normal) is easier or harder than UP (heroic)... It is however easier to farm, since it's normal mode. First boss too.... Although personally I dislike that instance since the mobs are spaced too far apart, and too many of them cast...

Volkhan on normal HoL also drops.. Eternally Folded Blade.

And now i've posted items, I guess I should go read the "how to link items on these forums" post....

fixt for you

leveling my pally, i went the quest mace, folding blade, Red Sword of Courage, Rimefangs claw/wristchopper (got them about same time) and now marrowgars mace

starting at lvl 78 (6 months ago) -> now

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Digren » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:24 am

In my new gear guide, I've included the following for newbie 80 tanks (i.e. those who have never run a 78-80 instance, and who just turned 80 an hour ago):

1. [Teldrassil Protector] or [Axe of the Sen'jin Protector] : Purchased (25x Champion Seal)
  2. [Hammer of Quiet Mourning] or [Crescent of Brooding Fury] : Quest (Zul'Drak)
  3. [Blade of the Empty Void] : Quest (Icecrown)
I may have made a mistake including the champion seal items. When can you start getting Champion Seals? At level 77 or 78, right? How many days does it take to get 25? What about 35, since I also suggest a pair of boots that need 10?

Then, yappo lists these as the best failsafe option:

[Axe of the Senjin Protector] / [Teldrassil Protector]
...which is of course the same as I list at level one. Yappo's detailed guide has a few other options, but they aren't guaranteed as you have to rely on random drops (and thus don't really qualify as "failsafe").
Digren

Postby yappo » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:48 pm

Digren wrote:In my new gear guide, I've included the following for newbie 80 tanks (i.e. those who have never run a 78-80 instance, and who just turned 80 an hour ago):

1. [Teldrassil Protector] or [Axe of the Sen'jin Protector] : Purchased (25x Champion Seal)
  2. [Hammer of Quiet Mourning] or [Crescent of Brooding Fury] : Quest (Zul'Drak)
  3. [Blade of the Empty Void] : Quest (Icecrown)
I may have made a mistake including the champion seal items. When can you start getting Champion Seals? At level 77 or 78, right? How many days does it take to get 25? What about 35, since I also suggest a pair of boots that need 10?

Then, yappo lists these as the best failsafe option:

[Axe of the Senjin Protector] / [Teldrassil Protector]
...which is of course the same as I list at level one. Yappo's detailed guide has a few other options, but they aren't guaranteed as you have to rely on random drops (and thus don't really qualify as "failsafe").

77, same as the Hodir quests, well, at least was autumn 2009.

It takes five days to get to the point where you are able to gather the AT tokens to begin with (three or so "beginner's" tokens per day and fifteen needed to become a champion). After that you're on five AT tokens per day, so another five days for the weapon. Again assuming stuff is the same as it was autumn 2009.

Those ilevel 200 epic weapons are indeed the best 100% guaranteed weapons to be had.

For the dinging player with a superb wow-conomy (ie can afford anything crafted in sight as well as ransacking the AH at will) the dps sword eventually rewarded from Battered Hilt is another option. Although weak on strength the chunk of agility makes it comparable with the Peacekeeper's Blade. Threat going through the roof is, of course, a bonus.
yappo

Postby Digren » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:52 am

yappo wrote:
Digren wrote:When can you start getting Champion Seals? At level 77 or 78, right? How many days does it take to get 25? What about 35, since I also suggest a pair of boots that need 10?

77, same as the Hodir quests, well, at least was autumn 2009.

It takes five days to get to the point where you are able to gather the AT tokens to begin with (three or so "beginner's" tokens per day and fifteen needed to become a champion). After that you're on five AT tokens per day, so another five days for the weapon. Again assuming stuff is the same as it was autumn 2009.

Those ilevel 200 epic weapons are indeed the best 100% guaranteed weapons to be had.

For the dinging player with a superb wow-conomy (ie can afford anything crafted in sight as well as ransacking the AH at will) the dps sword eventually rewarded from Battered Hilt is another option. Although weak on strength the chunk of agility makes it comparable with the Peacekeeper's Blade. Threat going through the roof is, of course, a bonus.

Ok, I'll definitely remove those weapons from level one then. Ten days from level 77-80 is too long to count as a "newbie 80 with no effort", especially since I'm not including things that could drop from one visit to a level 78-80 instance.

The battered hilt weapon needs to go on the level three five-man gear list. =p I hadn't even though about that.
Digren

Postby Vakon » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:16 pm

Again thank you for all the info!
Vakon

Next

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice