Remove Advertisements

Making a DPS tanking set

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Making a DPS tanking set

Postby Freyas » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:33 pm

I'm currently running with a surplus of triumph emblems from helping run guildmates through heroics to get some of our lower geared players ready for ICC. I've already got all of the triumph gear I can for my prot and ret sets, and was thinking of putting together another prot set for heroics and older raid content, that still leaves me uncrit with decent avoidance and stamina, but that can put out more DPS to make the runs faster (and mock the DPS that can't beat the tank).

What I'm wondering is what's the best way to increase my prot damage? Should I just gem and enchant for strength as opposed to stamina? Is it worthwhile to substitute out some of my armor for ret pieces while maintaining 540(or 535) defense?.

My current gear is http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &cn=Frejas (with the skeleton key trinket instead of the whetstone). My guild just re-assembled after a year-long hiatus, so we're trying to get back into the raiding scene, but until we get some people caught up in gear, and get a good offtank and second healer geared up to replace people who left. Unfortunately, this means I don't have much access to gear except through heroics/badges.
Freyas

Re: Making a DPS tanking set

Postby blakk » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:07 pm

slow weapon. soc. hit cap and exp soft cap. stack str. ret jewelry and trinkets are a nice way to get the hit and exp and any dps trinkets except arm pen will do.
blakk

Postby inthedrops » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:23 pm

I know you're asking about gear, but spec and glyphs make a huge difference too. There is a thread over on the Talents forum that might be useful to you in case you haven't seen it yet:

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/index.php?f=1&t=28499&rb_v=viewtopic

Blakk answered your question as short and precise as I think it could ever be answered :) Just remember that you only need level 82 cap values, not 83. So 7% hit instead of 8%. I don't recall the expertise numbers off hand but I think it's somewhere around 22 or 23 exp. 535 defense instead of 540, etc. (although it's not a big deal to be a little crittable)
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Pewsy » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:56 am

If the healer is reliable I just go full ret gear with a slow 1hander and shield.
Given your are happy being critted of course :roll:
Pewsy
Maintankadonor

Postby Harmacy » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:32 am

There is a nice slow weapon in either H HoR or FoS (I forget, maybe both). If you have the time and patience, go farm it, and slap either a weapon chain (if you need the hit) or +50 AP or something if you don't.

What other trinkets are available to you? Trinkets are a good place to swap out stuff for threat, personally I run with the Str Greatness deck instead of the Glyph. (I used to use Mark of Supremacy in my other trink slot, but I'm hitcapped without it now)

And I really, really hope you don't follow Pewsy's suggestion (as a healer who's had to heal "ret tanks" through heroics... ughhhh please don't)
Harmacy

Postby blakk » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:55 am

inthedrops wrote:Blakk answered your question as short and precise as I think it could ever be answered

'Tis my goal in life my friend.
blakk

Postby halabar » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:54 am

I just start with my tanking set, put on my threat weapon, and then trade in ret gear until I dip a bit below 540.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby blakk » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:55 am

you can go down to 535. ~530 with the stam/res shoulder enchant
blakk

Postby Freyas » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:02 pm

Pewsy wrote:If the healer is reliable I just go full ret gear with a slow 1hander and shield.
Given your are happy being critted of course :roll:

I've tried doing a couple specced ret with my prot gear (minus sword/shield), but my DPS didn't really change much. I'm wanting to keep my survivability high, so my healer can heal in his shadow spec/gear. A slow 1-hander is feasable though- I'm pretty sure I've got a http://www.wowhead.com/item=50303 sitting around somewhere.

Harmacy wrote:What other trinkets are available to you? Trinkets are a good place to swap out stuff for threat, personally I run with the Str Greatness deck instead of the Glyph. (I used to use Mark of Supremacy in my other trink slot, but I'm hitcapped without it now)

I don't have much in the way of DPS trinkets- I'm currently using http://www.wowhead.com/item=37390 and http://www.wowhead.com/item=40684. I'm currently at 8.1% hit, just from the incidental hit rating on my gear, but I may be able to swap some pieces around for better DPS stats, and use the triumph trinket to maintain cap.

inthedrops wrote:I know you're asking about gear, but spec and glyphs make a huge difference too. There is a thread over on the Talents forum that might be useful to you in case you haven't seen it yet:

I'm trying to avoid this- I'm looking for something I can quickly swap (ie., another gear set in outfitter), without having to respec/glyph before raids.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try using a slow weapon, and swapping out some gear for ret pieces while maintaining uncrit, and see how that goes.
Freyas

Postby Harmacy » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:40 pm

I have a related question that doesn't deserve its own thread:

I recently obtained http://www.wowhead.com/item=50810 as a threat weapon, and am now hitcapped with it on. What is the best threat enchant if you're already hitcapped (besides Berserking, because I don't want to sacrifice any armor even if I'm just tanking heroics and the like). Right now I'm just using +50 AP because I was being cheap.
Harmacy

Postby blakk » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:42 pm

Harmacy wrote:I have a related question that doesn't deserve its own thread:

I recently obtained http://www.wowhead.com/item=50810 as a threat weapon, and am now hitcapped with it on. What is the best threat enchant if you're already hitcapped (besides Berserking, because I don't want to sacrifice any armor even if I'm just tanking heroics and the like). Right now I'm just using +50 AP because I was being cheap.

i believe mongoose. at least that's what it was last i looked at the theck's math on enchants.
blakk

Postby Wrathy » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:00 pm

Harmacy wrote:I have a related question that doesn't deserve its own thread:

Depends on your gear, if you can drop a hit gem or some lower level piece with hit on it, you can enchant with accuracy and gain the hit back as well as some crit. Other than that, Mongoose may be your best option.
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby Lust » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:29 pm

I'm currently using t2 Wrathful 1h sword, with Death's Choice + DMC: Greatness, 245 ret libram, and ashen str ring.
End up doing about 5.3k dps singletarget in 25man ICC with 10% buffs :P
Lust

Postby inthedrops » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:41 am

How's the dps set coming along?

On a whim I decided to put on my heroic dps gear in 10 man ICC to solo tank the trash at the entrance. On the smallest packs I was doing 9k and on the larger packs getting nearer to Marrowgar I was almost hitting 12k.

I'm trying to enjoy it while it lasts until Cat comes out.

Edit: My armory currently shows my gear and spec I use:

Unbuffed DPS stats are:
* 5283 AP (2339 STR)
* 9% hit (just how it worked out, and keep forgetting to regem weapon)
* 27.77% crit
* 22 exp.
* 6.42% haste

EH/Avoidance
* 32k health
* 28.7k armor
* 535 defense on the nose.
* 23.13% dodge
* 21.4% parry
* 10.4% block
* BV somewhere around 2200.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Harmacy » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:32 pm

Wrathy wrote:Depends on your gear, if you can drop a hit gem or some lower level piece with hit on it, you can enchant with accuracy and gain the hit back as well as some crit. Other than that, Mongoose may be your best option.

I'm at like 9.5% with my spacegoat racial, and don't have very many pieces to swap in and out. And because I'm using the crafted boots and legs I don't have much leeway in terms of defense. Hmm, just occured to me that I have http://www.wowhead.com/item=50861 sitting in my bags... if I swap those in, and throw on a few more DPS pieces...

ok I'm gonna have to play around with this some more. Thank you for the advice!
Harmacy

Next

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice