Remove Advertisements

Quick 'n' dirty: armor set vs. stam set for IC bosses

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Quick 'n' dirty: armor set vs. stam set for IC bosses

Postby fudomyou » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:41 am

I'm currently maintaining 3-4 tanking sets for Icecrown, and while I'm pretty sure what fight requires what set, I'd like to make sure I'm wearing the right set for the right time.

Max Stam: 38k armor, 60k buffed health
Armor: 42k armor (45k with indestructible pot, up for 4 minutes), about 4k less buffed health than stam set
Threat: Greatness card, Valiance libram. Used for trash, yawn-farm content, heroics.
Frost resist: Sindragosa use, 540 defense plus about 400 FR

So right now, what I wear for each fight:

Marrowgar - Threat
Deathwhisper - Threat
Gunship - Threat
Saurfang Jr - Threat (switching to Armor if the healers are new or if we're pushing dps by converting healers -> dps)
Festergut - Armor
Rotface (kiting) - Threat
Putricide (main Phase 1/2 tank) - Stam (this is one I'm unsure on)
Blood Princes (often tanking Valanar/Taldaram at once) - Armor
Blood Queen (main tank) - Armor
Dreamwalker - Threat
Sindragosa - Frost resist
Lich King (haven't gotten here yet)

Does that seem accurate, or are there places I can get better use out of a different set?
fudomyou
Maintankadonor

Re: Quick 'n' dirty: armor set vs. stam set for IC bosses

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:35 am

For normal modes at this point your gear probably isn't bottlenecking you.

For Pute I personally wear armor -- 85.6% of the damage I took in last night's Pute was from melee.

For Dreamwalker I wear 2pc T10 + 2pc T9 for HotR bonuses and 2 sec taunt CD reduction.

For Rotface kiting I personally wear stam; you really only need to pour 15kish threat into the big ooze when it spawns before it activates and eats your face, then kite it across consecrate and throw in the occasional exorcism. I'm not certain that a threat set would be optimal.

Our last normal Gunship I put on my armor set and never left the enemy boat, so we could do the achievement (away team never left).

Other than that, good luck on LK.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Chicken » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:57 pm

For Gunship it depends on your role I'd say. Threat is probably the best choice if you're responsible for the adds that come aboard your faction's ship, but an armor set is much better if you're responsible for keeping the captain of the enemy's ship occupied.

For Putricide I'm pretty sure Armor would beat out Stamina as well, as main tank you shouldn't really be taking damage from anything that isn't Putricide's melee swings for most of the encounter.

The Lich King is a Stamina fight, since you'll likely end up tanking the Lich King himself at least a couple of times, and Soul Reaper is the biggest threat at that point, and the only way to get around it is actually maximizing your health. Blood Queen off-tanking is also pure Stamina for optimal survival.

I'd also recommend a threat set for tanking Keleseth at Blood Princes. Due to the running around required to pick up orbs you can typically use the extra threat. And since Keleseth is in fact made so someone without a tanks amount of health can safely tank him, your survival isn't too big an issue.

Also for Marrowgar if you're an off-tank and not the main tank you might as well gear for maximum armor to reduce the damage you'll take.
Chicken

Postby Dianora » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:14 am

fudomyou wrote:I'm currently maintaining 3-4 tanking sets for Icecrown, and while I'm pretty sure what fight requires what set, I'd like to make sure I'm wearing the right set for the right time.

Max Stam: 38k armor, 60k buffed health
Armor: 42k armor (45k with indestructible pot, up for 4 minutes), about 4k less buffed health than stam set
Threat: Greatness card, Valiance libram. Used for trash, yawn-farm content, heroics.
Frost resist: Sindragosa use, 540 defense plus about 400 FR

So right now, what I wear for each fight:

Marrowgar - Threat
Deathwhisper - Threat
Gunship - Threat
Saurfang Jr - Threat (switching to Armor if the healers are new or if we're pushing dps by converting healers -> dps)
Festergut - Armor
Rotface (kiting) - Threat
Putricide (main Phase 1/2 tank) - Stam (this is one I'm unsure on)
Blood Princes (often tanking Valanar/Taldaram at once) - Armor
Blood Queen (main tank) - Armor
Dreamwalker - Threat
Sindragosa - Frost resist
Lich King (haven't gotten here yet)

Does that seem accurate, or are there places I can get better use out of a different set?

I'm the Boss tanker in Ptrucide, and I use the armor trinket. He does hit hard. I've never main tank Blood Queen, so as the soaker, I'm double stamina trinket it.
ImageImageImage
Dianora

Postby fudomyou » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:06 am

Resurrecting this thread since we just made it to 10m Lich King.

I'm currently tanking Shambling Horrors P1 and Raging Spirits P1->P2. Once we get our dps done, we're probably going to have me on tanking Soul Reaper too.

It seems like armor is the way to go with enraged Shambling Horrors, but with the looming threat of soul reaper, is armor the best choice, or should I stam it up?
fudomyou
Maintankadonor

Postby Boyfriend » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:19 am

fudomyou wrote:Resurrecting this thread since we just made it to 10m Lich King.

I'm currently tanking Shambling Horrors P1 and Raging Spirits P1->P2. Once we get our dps done, we're probably going to have me on tanking Soul Reaper too.

It seems like armor is the way to go with enraged Shambling Horrors, but with the looming threat of soul reaper, is armor the best choice, or should I stam it up?

You should not have to tank enraged shambling horrors very long, use your stuns.
Armor does help at surviving soul reaper aswell.
Armor doesn't help if you're blowing up Vile Spirits in P3.

Overall I'd say armor is still very good, but I wouldn't use armor trinkets.
Boyfriend
Maintankadonor

Postby Wrathy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:12 am

fudomyou wrote:I'm currently tanking Shambling Horrors P1 and Raging Spirits P1->P2. Once we get our dps done, we're probably going to have me on tanking Soul Reaper too.

From my PoV, as Boyfriend said, Armor will help you survive tanking LK, not specifically from the soul reaper tick, but from the chance of a back to back SR melee.
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:56 pm

I'd say it depends on what's killing you, and what would most help prevent those deaths. If you're just getting ticked down over time, then I would argue armor. If your healers just need more leeway to deal with SR and attendant damage, you might benefit from a larger stam pool.

I say this as a giant armorwhore, myself.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Aranbenjo » Thu May 06, 2010 6:41 am

just one serious STAMINA set -> 66k buffed 10 men (with 15% buff). Enough for everithing.

Time b time i wear my nuke set to show my eeeeepen on trash to reach 7.5k dps.

On Pug is amazing blaming dps-ers because the tank is on the 1st 5 on dps. :)
The savior of the broken,the beaten and the damned

Aranbenjo.Thunderhorn.EU
Aranbenjo

Postby Fenrìr » Thu May 06, 2010 7:59 am

For LK, it'll take a time or two for you get into the rhythm of knowing what's killing you pretty consistently. First off when learning the fight, I would suggest dual stams. Then as you and your guild figure out what the tank roles are for the later fights and as you get to them, swap out your trinkets to push through that particular phase.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice