Remove Advertisements

taking a beating in icc 25

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

taking a beating in icc 25

Postby lucem » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:39 pm

so i started tanking beyond the first wing, so this question is no related to the first wing where boses dont really threaten a tanks life too much. I am referring to the zones beyond. Ive tanked festergut twice and did ok, both times it was the other tank that died but I had ardent defender pop up both times. And to be honest i think i was taking a pretty severe beating from festergut with 3 inhales.

Apart from festergut which boses could give me a lot of trouble with high end damage?

So what do you think? Are the pug healers not at their top game? Or am i not geared to tank beyond the first wing of ICC? (i suspect this second option seems to be more likely)

Armory

If you see something off with my gearing or the way i gem or the glyphs or what ever i could improve to make my live easier in ICC plz let me know.
lucem

Re: taking a beating in icc 25

Postby Epimer » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:52 pm

Your gemming, glyphing and talent choices are fine. Your gear level is also absolutely fine for Rotface, Festergut and Putricide.

Festergut is a little bit of a tank wrecker, particularly in PuGs where there might not be much cooldown coordination going on or just plain not very good healers. Make sure you have a cooldown sequence mapped out if you're going to be taking the boss through the 3rd Inhale stack; you want to have something up for the duration of that 3rd Inhale. You could potentially swap in the Glyph of Salvation for that fight, but it's not a necessity. The Festergut thread in the ICC sub-forum has more info on cooldown sequences for that fight.

But otherwise, nope. All looks fine. For anything other than Festergut, if you're dying it's probably not your fault.

EDIT! on closer inspection of your talents - if you're concerned about your incoming damage, why are you missing out on 30% BV from Redoubt? It's going to do considerably more for your survival than 2/2 Imp HoJ and that extra point in Spiritual Attunement. It's not game-breaking, but every little counts.
Epimer

Postby Digren » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:28 pm

Switch to armor over agility on your back.

I found Festergut to be quite a challenge at first. I'm the hard tank for both Phase Fours (Three Inhales), and I wiped us repeatedly at first. We solved this with chained cooldowns from the healers. It's still a challenge when our disc priest isn't there, and Pain Suppression is God for those events. But eventually I stopped dying and the DPS picked up and we started killing him. It only gets easier as the buff gets stronger.
Digren

Postby Boyfriend » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:09 am

Make sure your healers know that basically all of them should be spamming you during the 3 inhale part, there's no raid damage to heal; I think it's possible in pugs that some healers will not realize that they should be healing the tank at this point, even though they're raid healers.

If you glyph salvation you can cover the entire 3 inhale stack yourself (or well almost, AD should cover the slight cooldown less moments) by chaining DP -> HoS -> DG on yourself.
Boyfriend
Maintankadonor

Postby Zeruvar » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:47 am

not sure if youve tried this, but if you run with another pally tank as soon as you switch and one of you is tanking 3stack festergut, the other should use a Hand of sacrifice to help healers with the damage. otherwise it would seem its the heal squad who need to get their act straight since you seem evenly(or more) geared than me when we killed him the first time.
Zeruvar

Postby lucem » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:20 am

ya that spec which you were reffering to is a specific icc 10 spec made to make Saurfang smoother by always stunning one beast. But your idea was very interesting epimer, so i decided to drop the ret build i never use and get another prot with the changes you suggested. I forgot to glyph it though.
A mixture of digrens and boyfriend's idea has made this a lot simpler, turns out the pug healers had not realized there was no raid damage during the 3rd inhale xD. And ive gotten a few nice drops which pushed my armour, the cloack enchant im still thinking about. Is there a comparison anywhere between armour and agility enchants?
lucem

Postby Vlad » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:03 pm

Zeruvar wrote:not sure if youve tried this, but if you run with another pally tank as soon as you switch and one of you is tanking 3stack festergut, the other should use a Hand of sacrifice to help healers with the damage. otherwise it would seem its the heal squad who need to get their act straight since you seem evenly(or more) geared than me when we killed him the first time.

^this
Even if you don't roll with 2 pally tanks you mentioned that it was mainly the other tank dying. So what you need to do is work out with him on vent preferably when to HoS the other tank.
Personally when fester was still hard for my guild I would get the warrior tank to tell me when his CDs ran out and then I'd HoS him, which lasted most of the remaining duration of festers 3 stacks.
Vlad

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice