Remove Advertisements

Setting up Rawr...

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Setting up Rawr...

Postby Notnowchief » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:00 pm

Hey guys whats up! I normally am too retarded to use spreadsheets and all that jazz but Ive heard rawr is a lil less complicated that I think and that it can be quite a useful tool. I am also geting sick of beating my brains in when its time to make a decision on an upgrade as at the moment there are soo many different ways for me to go so I wanted to find some help about setting rawr up for a prot pally. In my previous post here I was informed to not use it just fooling around so any help is appreciated
Notnowchief

Re: Setting up Rawr...

Postby econ21 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:44 pm

I think Rawr is a wonderful tool for planning out your character. I don't follow its default rankings slavishly, if at all. But still find it very convenient as a way of showing possible upgrades and their overall impact (e.g. on your defence). The default protection weightings tend to give a higher value to agility compared to stamina (e.g. typically suggesting mixed gems to get slot bonuses). A recent post here (I looked, but can't find it atm) suggested setting the weight on threat to 0% and that on mitigation to 33%, so that survivability is emphasised. These changes mean that Rawr recommends pure stamina gems where the bonus is +9 stamina or better, which seems to be what many folk here do. (Most folk here seem to be well geared ICC tanks - more entry level tanks may want different weights, as per Digren's guide).
econ21

Postby Awyndel » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:25 am

Healers and tanks should not be using rawr. It doesn't have the correct threat calculations, and the defensive values are laughable.

Basicly you just stack stamina and armor in the right places, and for the rest it kinda depends on the situation. There are some very good threads on this forum about stamina vs armor, EH vs avoidance ( and armor vs avoidance) ,threat calculations, and set bonuses. Read them and delete rawr.
Awyndel

Postby Mcduffie » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:34 am

The moral of this story is that there is no substitution for a good education. Look at Digren's post for sure. That helped me a lot. But overall, you should do as much research as possible.

Depending on a program that could have flawed calculations may lead you astray. No easy button for being the best.
Mcduffie

Postby hoho » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:52 am

I've tried using it for a few times but it keeps crashing for some weird reason (CLR error: 80004005). I've tried reinstalling .net twice now but it doesn't help. Anyone has any ideas what might be wrong?
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice