Remove Advertisements

Having a very hard time holding aggro

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Having a very hard time holding aggro

Postby Talek » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:40 am

Long time reader, first time poster. My main strat has been the 969 rotation however I'm constantly using threat to hold any sort of aggro. I lose threat on bosses too often and it's causing me a headache. If you can review my armory and let me know what is the cause it would be VERY appreciated... as this is causing my WoW experience to lose it's fun on every level.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Bloodhoof&n=Talick

I am working on getting frost gear slowly & trying to salvage item drops, thus I've been playing more in Uld & ToC + whatever weekly, but perhaps I am focusing in all the wrong places..
Talek

Re: Having a very hard time holding aggro

Postby Fridmarr » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:02 am

I don't see anything that jumps off the page. I'm assuming when you are having threat problems you are confirming that you do have Righteous Fury active. Does your DPS out gear you? I mean your gear isn't really at an ICC level, and if your DPS is, then I can see where you'd have a hard time.

Any chance you have a parsed combat log we could look at? I think it's more likely execution and we'd need something like that to be able to really help. About all I can think of is that you could probably find a way to put a couple of points in Reckoning (taken from DG/DS perhaps) and change your glyph of RD to something that will help with threat, like judgement or something. You could also try using the Libram of Valiance, http://www.wowhead.com/?item=47661 which will help a little with a gear discrepancy between you and your DPS if it exists. Just to contrast, in mostly ICC 25 gear, I have 500 more strength than you, and that will generate quite a bit of threat.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Talek » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:06 pm

Thanks, I'll give those a shot. Any more tips will be great. I have a gear score currently of 4830 or something.. most of the others were 5000+ so that could be why. Thus is the barren of being grouped with random people for raid.. I have RD on, seal of corruption & blessing of sanct
Talek

Postby Shathus » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:50 pm

switch out those dodge/stam gems for agi/stam. Also probably want to pick-up the socket bonus in your helm, put a def/stam gem in there.
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby Narsill » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:50 pm

Are you missing alot perhaps ? as your hit is just over 3.5%, this doesn't make so much of a difference when you get toward a higher gear level but at the moment if you are running these instances with people that out gear you then every hit really is going to count to hold onto that threat.

Maybe since the value of orbs and titansteel bars is falling with the patch you could have the Saronite Swordbreakers crafted for a boost to your hit and str. If that's not really an option then keep running head first into toc10 for the Dreadscale bracers.

As Fridmarr said using the 245 strength libram would also give a boost.

Since you are fairly clear of the def minimum you could maybe change the shield enchant for Titanium plating and your back chant to +22 agi not a huge boost alone but since you seem to be in a position where 'every little helps' then hey do just that.

I can't really see anything more, maybe also dropping the point from SoC back into conviction.

But all said and done if your dps out gear you and play like they don't care then you're going to run into problems. Just stick with it it is wayyy worth it !

Best of luck !

Nars
Narsill

Postby Barathorn » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:59 am

Narsill wrote:I can't really see anything more, maybe also dropping the point from SoC back into conviction.

Don't do this, SoC on trash is an amazing tool for us.

It is likely to be a culmination of factors which are causing you issues as listed above. The strength libram is a must have in any situation where you feel threatened by DPS in the current content. I would aim for the Libram first, ensure your rotation is tight and see how that works for you.

Barathorn
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Narsill » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:42 am

I know how good the cleave is as a trash tool however the OP did state that his threat issues relate to bosses, outside the realm of SoC.

I was mearly suggesting another change that could increase threat when tanking bosses :D
Narsill

Postby Barathorn » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:34 am

Narsill wrote:I know how good the cleave is as a trash tool however the OP did state that his threat issues relate to bosses, outside the realm of SoC.

I was mearly suggesting another change that could increase threat when tanking bosses :D

The fact remains if you are losing single target threat then you will definately be losing multi target threat, as such you should never spec into conviction ahead of SoC as far as I am aware for either single target or multi target tanking. Not that you should use SoC for single target tanking obviously.

The Libram and a tight rotation, ideally with TotT and MD should ease any pain when single target tanking unless your dps outgear you by a considerable amount.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Boyfriend » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:50 am

If your gear score is much lower than some of the dps then it will be difficult to hold threat against them. But in 25 mans enough totts/MD's should be available to make this a nonissue, make clear to your guildies that since you're undergeared you need more totts/MD's than just the first (you should ALWAYS get one at the start to ensure a smooth beginning).

Reasonable things to do would be to use the Str libram as suggested, and maybe a slow tank weapon if you can get one from HoR. I would not worry about changing around your talents or focusing too much on hit, those are relatively minor things, while they help be aware that a single hit/expertise item won't give you hundreds of extra tps.
Boyfriend
Maintankadonor

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice