Just Some Advice for Raiding

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Just Some Advice for Raiding

Postby NeoArmada » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:12 pm

I am a lvl 80 Dwarf Pally withe Prot/Ret spec. I have been doing random heroics for a bit and have gotten my gear up, but am trying to move into raiding. I have attemped to join VoA several times and have been kicked out of the raid group due to my gear. I beleive that I need to get my hp up, but I am posting my armory link so you all can see what I have. Any tips on gems, enchants as well as item upgrades would be greatly appreciated.

Armory Link: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n=Halomear

Thanks!
NeoArmada

Re: Just Some Advice for Raiding

Postby Vorianloken » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:53 am

NeoArmada wrote:I am a lvl 80 Dwarf Pally withe Prot/Ret spec. I have been doing random heroics for a bit and have gotten my gear up, but am trying to move into raiding. I have attemped to join VoA several times and have been kicked out of the raid group due to my gear. I beleive that I need to get my hp up, but I am posting my armory link so you all can see what I have. Any tips on gems, enchants as well as item upgrades would be greatly appreciated.

Armory Link: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n=Halomear

Thanks!

should post this in the gear/check/advice thread
Vorianloken - 80 Prot/Ret || Ajeet - 80 Frost Tank/Unholy DPS || Nunnaly - 80 Cat/Tree Druid || Bulveye - 74 Protection Warrior || Sherana - 80 Combat Rogue || Shadallas - 40 Demo Warlock

US-Medivh Power! 7th April 2010 - The day when Dual-Wield Frost Tanking was assassinated. R.I.P my dear friend.
Vorianloken

Postby silkforcalde » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:35 pm

Helm - not sure why you put a bold gem in there, and why it's blue quality. Get an epic agi / stam if you want to match the socket bonus. Also, swap out your meta. You want +stam / +armor%.

Shoulder - by now it's become kind of obvious that you are using blue quality gems everywhere. Stop that. That alone will cause many raid leaders to decline your request for an invitation.

Chest - you used a solid yellow gem. Don't do that. Every gem you use should have stamina in some measure. With the shoulder enchant you are using, you only need 536 defense to maintain uncrittability.

Pants - again, a strength gem. Not wise.

Boots - you used Tuskarr's Vitality. Prot paladins should pick up Pursuit of Justice in the ret tree on their way to Crusade. I see you have 53 / 18 but I can't use wowarmory at work so I had to wow-heroes you and I'm not sure if you have the talent or not. If you do, the runspeed on Tuskarr's is wasted. Get a flat stam enchant.

Gloves - you gemmed hit and enchanted Armsman. Not very wise. Swap that gem out for solid stamina. Swap the enchant out for a stam armor kit or an armor armor kit (that's kind of awkward phrasing...)

Trinkets - I would recommend getting the Corroded Skeleton Key as soon as possible. Didn't see any frost badge gear on ya so keep that in mind as a good one to get first.

Cloak is unenchanted. Get agility or armor depending on your preference.

I'd also consider getting an actual prot libram but that's nothing too major.

Basically, my major issue is that you seem to use a lot of blue quality gems and that you tend to match socket bonuses not worth matching (see gloves for an example). Also, you use a lot of gems that are not worth using such as solid strength and hit gems. You are missing a substantial portion of stamina that would make you far more attractive to a prospective raid leader.
silkforcalde

Postby NeoArmada » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:42 am

I definately agree and thank you for the tips. I am currently working on upgrading my gems and redoing some of my old enchants (Lots of Money!!!). I have a question though. All of my socket bonuses are for stamina, so should i ignore the +12 stamina i get and just throw a +30 stam gem in there, or should i get the socket bonus and replace the gem i have with agility or resilience?
NeoArmada

Postby Brutalus » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:58 am

All of my socket bonuses are for stamina, so should i ignore the +12 stamina i get and just throw a +30 stam gem in there, or should i get the socket bonus and replace the gem i have with agility or resilience?

You need 1 red gem (or orange, or purple) somewhere to activate the 32stam/2% armor meta (Austere Earthsiege Diamond), so put an agility/stamina (Shifting Dreadstone, purple) into that helm socket and your meta gem is active. Personally, I like to put agility/stamina gems into red sockets where I only need 1x non-bluegem to gain +9 stamina or more from the socket bonus.
Brutalus

Postby Barathorn » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:00 am

silkforcalde wrote:With the shoulder enchant you are using, you only need 536 defense to maintain uncrittability.

Be careful and make sure that you can get away with 536, because of the way the rounding works a lot of people needed 537 to be sure.

I agree with silkforcalde on everything else. If in doubt on gemming, read Digren's excellant guide.

Barathorn
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby NeoArmada » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:46 am

Thank you all so much for your guidance and tips. I am in the process of re-gemming and enchanting all of my gear. I actually did not know that multi-colored gems could fulfill socket bonuses and thats why I was using the crappy strength ones, but due to my new gained knowlege I am much better off. I was just wondering if u could possibly explain why I only need 536/37 to be uncritable with my shoulder enchant, I thought that the defense cap was 540?
NeoArmada

Postby Marblehead » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:06 am

15 resilience rating = 0.183 less chance to get crited
4.573 defense = 0.183 less chance to get crited

So to be uncritable with the PvP shoulder enchant you need 4.573 less defense.

540 - 4.573 = 535.427

However, defense comes in integers, so 536 defense will make you uncritable with that enchant.

In case you're wondering how this is translated in rating, instead of 689 defense rating (which takes you to 540) you'll just need 670 (which takes you to 536)
Life is not difficult, people are.
Marblehead

Postby Barathorn » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:26 am

Marblehead wrote:15 resilience rating = 0.183 less chance to get crited
4.573 defense = 0.183 less chance to get crited

So to be uncritable with the PvP shoulder enchant you need 4.573 less defense.

540 - 4.573 = 535.427

However, defense comes in integers, so 536 defense will make you uncritable with that enchant.

In case you're wondering how this is translated in rating, instead of 689 defense rating (which takes you to 540) you'll just need 670 (which takes you to 536)

Your maths are spot on and I don't disagree with the workings. However I found [somewhat wierdly] when I was at 536 def with the pvp enchant I was not at 5.6% combined reduced critical chance which concerned me. I found it easier to just add the percentage reduction from resilience to the reduction from defense and if you got 5.6% then you are good to go.

It could have been a tool tip error, but I don't leave anything like that to chance.

Barathorn
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Marblehead » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:41 am

You're totally right. The resilience tooltip indicates that 15 resilience rating is 0.16% less chance to get crited. But also 536 defense is 5.44% according to the tooltip which theoretically would add up to 5.6% with the enchant. However, I've seen a lot of "rounding weirdness" in WoW all these years, so it never hurts to doublecheck things ingame. Better safe than sorry.
Life is not difficult, people are.
Marblehead

Postby NeoArmada » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:07 am

Thanks a lot guys for all of the info. I think that this guidance will push me in the right direction on gemming and enchanting my gear throughout WotLK. Again I appreciate the comments and feel free to give me some more info if you feel the need to. :D

Thanks!
NeoArmada

Postby Barathorn » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:10 am

NeoArmada wrote:Thanks a lot guys for all of the info. I think that this guidance will push me in the right direction on gemming and enchanting my gear throughout WotLK. Again I appreciate the comments and feel free to give me some more info if you feel the need to. :D

Thanks!

Can you make sure you post in the gear advice sticky next time please /wink.

Good luck!

Barathorn

Barathorn

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice