Remove Advertisements

Hit rating question

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Hit rating question

Postby mario64 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:07 pm

Last night i picked up the i251 Deathforge Legplates off Saurfang. I was previously using T9 legs which have 45 hit rating, so I lost 45 hit but gained 49 expertise. This puts me at ~150 hit rating and that's with using a vivid in one yellow gem slot. Should I try to gem for more hit or is 150 ok? Thanks in advance!
mario64

Re: Hit rating question

Postby blakk » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:18 pm

you really should only gem for stamina in icc. outside of a few choice encounters it is far better. hit is a threat stat (and a taunt miss stat but depending on your situation that may or may not matter). 95% of the time survival>threat. so stam>hit in most cases. unless you run into problems(highly unlikely) don't really worry about it.
blakk

Postby Wrathy » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:20 pm

0 hit is ok. You have to evaluate your threat to see if you need more hit, however many tanks here tank encounters with 0 hit. Upgrades are upgrades, do not sacrifice survival and mitigation to gain hit unless the fight needs it.
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:54 pm

Wrathy wrote:0 hit is ok. You have to evaluate your threat to see if you need more hit, however many tanks here tank encounters with 0 hit. Upgrades are upgrades, do not sacrifice survival and mitigation to gain hit unless the fight needs it.

Wrathy do you have a build of one of your 0 hit sets, and where do you use it? I had 0 hit in my progression set sometime in T9 but haven't had the same dearth of hit in T10. Just curious.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Wrathy » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:00 pm

fuzzygeek wrote:Wrathy do you have a build of one of your 0 hit sets, and where do you use it? I had 0 hit in my progression set sometime in T9 but haven't had the same dearth of hit in T10. Just curious.

My max armor set has 0 hit on it. Wowhead Profile Here

Edit: I use it on Blood Queen, and Swap out the Glyph for 258 Satrina's/Juggies for all 25 man Hard Mode fights we have done (Marrow, Gunship, DBS, Fester)
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby silkforcalde » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:21 pm

blakk wrote:you really should only gem for stamina in icc. outside of a few choice encounters it is far better. hit is a threat stat (and a taunt miss stat but depending on your situation that may or may not matter). 95% of the time survival>threat. so stam>hit in most cases. unless you run into problems(highly unlikely) don't really worry about it.

Hit isn't just a threat stat. I'd say it's primarily threat but there are other circumstances which mirror what we've seen from expertise.

Basically what I mean is this. What do you have enchanted on your weapon? Mongoose? Each landed melee hit has a chance to proc Mongoose so there's some avoidance gained from hit. Or landing hits to maintain Vindication (not necessary with rets in the raid).

However, my tank set currently has a bit over 150 hit and I'm fine. My threat is through the roof and I see buffs / debuffs maintained constantly. I am, however, at about 30 expertise which I view as being decently more important than hit rating.

My co-tank has much less hit than me and is running into taunt issues frequently. I have almost never missed a HoR + RD (i.e. one almost always works if the other didn't), but he has seen both missing somewhat frequently (once every other week maybe). So I'd say 150 is a happy number. More isn't something you should avoid but also isn't something you should actively seek out.
silkforcalde

Postby fuzzygeek » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:31 pm

Wrathy wrote:
fuzzygeek wrote:Wrathy do you have a build of one of your 0 hit sets, and where do you use it? I had 0 hit in my progression set sometime in T9 but haven't had the same dearth of hit in T10. Just curious.

My max armor set has 0 hit on it. Wowhead Profile Here

Edit: I use it on Blood Queen, and Swap out the Glyph for 258 Satrina's/Juggies for all 25 man Hard Mode fights we have done (Marrow, Gunship, DBS, Fester)

Ah, I wear the LDW hat and crafted boots (still have yet to see DW boots), which would account for it. Thanks!
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby mario64 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:52 pm

Thanks for all these great responses. I currently have Rimefang's Claw enchanted with accuracy. I've ran several heroics today and it seems like I'm having a harder time holding mobs, but that could just be my imagination. LOL
mario64

Postby Narsill » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:42 pm

Tab MOAR !

Could help with packs if you're not doing it, pug dps don't seem to care which mob they attack as long as they do more damage than the other guy so just tabbing through a little more should make a difference
Narsill

Postby Vakon » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:24 pm

I just started tanking heros...and against 3 - bajillion gs toons.....my TAB button is on constant cooldown. I still have HoTR glyphed too...hitting one more target may help with threat till I replace my crap blues one one green...

Working 12 hour shifts and nights on the weekends does not help me raid!
Vakon

Postby exiledknight » Wed May 12, 2010 1:33 pm

Unless you are working on hard modes, then being hit capped is not a huge deal and even then with our glyph of RD that helps out a ton, if you are using a vivid however make sure it is in a 9stm bonus socket, otherwise straight stam. If your running with you guild and having threat issues make sure your rogues are using ToT on you and your hunters are MD on cooldown, you would be surprised how often they don't even if threat is an issue.
exiledknight

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice