bloodvenom blade speed

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

bloodvenom blade speed

Postby Holysmokin » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:11 am

i thought the point of tanks (namely pallys) using fast weps(1.7 or lower) was to quickly gain veng and do fast early constant tps via white swings+38% veng dmg. so i guess what im getting at is why use a slower wep just to get better hammers over 7 seconds over more dmg in the 1.6-7 range. yes i realize slower= more dmg but in a 300 sec(5 min) rotation not including parry haste from boss hits you get ruffly 187.5 swings on a 1.6 wep vs 115 with a 2.6 wep resulting in a metric f***ton of dmg/tps... any ideas on balance as far as white swings over hammer dmg? If anyone could post some numbers or post a link to a table showing a viable diff it would be nice to show my GL so i dont get yelled at rolling BV blade as mainspec over a dps.
Holysmokin

Re: bloodvenom blade speed

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:01 am

It's not Hammer. HotR is weapon speed neutral. Its your seal damage. SoV and SoComm both benefit greatly from slower weapons. Check Theck's thread. I think he did a graph on it a while ago.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Holysmokin » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:16 pm

Grehn|Skipjack wrote:It's not Hammer. HotR is weapon speed neutral.

I realize its neutral being the reason i say for HotR is because it is 4x a wep swing reguardless of speed. ill take a look at thecks thread if i can find it.
Holysmokin

Postby Arnock » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:08 pm

Hammer of the righteous does 4 times your weapon's dps, it doesn't gain or lose damage to speed.

However, the true advantage of a slow weapon, is in seal damage. Just looking at autoattack + seal damage, a slow weapon would do the same, but when you factor in seal procs from judgement, HotR, and ShoR, that extra damage adds up quickly
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Gamingdevil » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:44 pm

Arnock wrote:Hammer of the righteous does 4 times your weapon's dps, it doesn't gain or lose damage to speed.

However, the true advantage of a slow weapon, is in seal damage. Just looking at autoattack + seal damage, a slow weapon would do the same, but when you factor in seal procs from judgement, HotR, and ShoR, that extra damage adds up quickly

This. Basically, almost everything procs seals and all those procs will use the slow weapon's damage to calculate their damage. Bonus points with Reckoning.
If it is weak, kill it before it gets stronger. If it is strong, weaken it.
Gamingdevil

Postby jathitimus » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:50 pm

NOTE: these numbers are made up.

If you have a weapon A - 1 speed with 25 dps, and weapon B - 2 speed with 25 dps

With just auto attacks -
A would be 2 white swing with 2 seal proc every two second, lets say (25+25) + (25+25) =100 damage
B would be 1 white swing with 1 seal proc every two seconds, lets say 50+50 =100 damage.

The key is that seal damage is normalized to do the same dps no matter what your weapon speed is. Now lets add in a instant attack with a 1 second CD (ingoring the GCD) that can proc seals.

A would be 2 white swings and 4 seal procs, for (25+25+25) + (25+25+25) =150 damage.
B would be 1 white swing and 3 seal procs, for 50 + (50+50+50) = 200 damage.

EDIT: I reread your post and...
Holysmokin wrote: so i dont get yelled at rolling BV blade as mainspec over a dps.

yeah ... unless you are having major threat issues dont take it from a mainspec dps. The dps output that a tank can do with a weapon is always smaller than the dps output that a dps can out put with that same weapon. If you take this weapon over dps in your raids you are actually hurting progress rather than helping it.

If you are having threat issues I suggest you look at options other than robbing dps of their gear.
If you are in a position to get a slow weapon with out hurting your raid go for it, they are great to have for farm and trash or bosses that dont push the tank into the red (ie non-progression [most of the time]).
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams
jathitimus

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice