Newly tanking heroics weapon question

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Newly tanking heroics weapon question

Postby tholos » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:03 pm

Folks,

Hit 80 on my (okay, my wife's former) paladin a while back, tanked a little, healed a little, then played some other classes to 80 and am interested in returning to tanking. Mostly crafted 80 gear, but according to what I've read I'm okay for heroics from a stats perspective : 24.5k health unbuffed, 22.2k armor, 540 def, 18.69% dodge, 15.21 parry, 10.6 block. Only 92 hit, seems like a concern, but have +hit on gloves and weapon.

My real question is this: I'm at 540 def while wielding Titansteel Bonecrusher, although I also have the AT +44 Def axe. I like the STA on the Bonecrusher, and given that I'm seeing tons of 3, 4, and 5k dps when I PUG, I'm concerned about my threat output. It seems like Bonecrusher's effect on HotR would be extra sweet, but a lot of what I'm reading seems to point to "dps weapon, n00b, not tanking."

Between my current configuration, which gems for +def to make up for Brewfest trinkets and Bonecrusher not having any defense, and replacing those gems with +Strength and using the AT axe with its def, which would you recommend, or is it a wash? Seems like the weapon speed only affects the SoV application, while the higher damage number on the Bonecrusher has more applicability for both trash and boss mobs. I suppose I could switch to the tanking weapon and run at 744 defense rating or so for bosses if the mitigation continues to scale as long as threat is not impacted (which single target SoR I think will overcome).

Any advice would be most appreciated!
tholos

Re: Newly tanking heroics weapon question

Postby Vorianloken » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:50 am

At your level do not worry about threat. Your main focus should be uncrittable (535 for heroics and 540 for raids) and then just plain stam. Use rare (blue-quality) gems in non-i232 gear, def/stam in yellow sockets to stay uncrittable, and agi/stam in red sockets for your meta (only one of these is needed really). +9 and +12 stam sockets are good.

For weapons, use the AT axe to help your survival. Once you are comfortable with tanking the heroics and can free up the defense then run with bonecrusher. You should aim to get the tanking sword from last boss in h-UP and I believe there is also another one from the first boss in h-UK. Once you get to level to tanking ToC5 heroic then a very nice weapon drops off the second boss and when you get to the ICC 5-man levels then there are weapons that drop in h-PoS (last boss) and h-HoR (first boss).
Vorianloken - 80 Prot/Ret || Ajeet - 80 Frost Tank/Unholy DPS || Nunnaly - 80 Cat/Tree Druid || Bulveye - 74 Protection Warrior || Sherana - 80 Combat Rogue || Shadallas - 40 Demo Warlock

US-Medivh Power! 7th April 2010 - The day when Dual-Wield Frost Tanking was assassinated. R.I.P my dear friend.
Vorianloken

Postby ulushnar » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:45 am

http://www.wowhead.com/?compare=41383

The Argent Tournament Axe is the same ilevel as the Bonecrusher, and it has better avoidance stats, which will actually make a difference doing heroics at your gear level. Whilst it's true you do lose some stamina, you can easily make that up with the Defense gems you drop.

As Vori mentioned, you should only gem up to 535 defense right now, since I don't think you'll be doing many raids in your current gear, so taking into account the 25 defense rating you can afford to drop from your current setup, and the 44 from the axe, that's 4 +16 Defense gems or 8 +8 Def/+12 Sta gems you can afford to replace.

Plus you have the psychological benefit of appeasing the people you're pugging with.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Harmacy » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:08 am

Vorianloken wrote:At your level do not worry about threat. Your main focus should be uncrittable (535 for heroics and 540 for raids) and then just plain stam. Use rare (blue-quality) gems in non-i232 gear, def/stam in yellow sockets to stay uncrittable, and agi/stam in red sockets for your meta (only one of these is needed really). +9 and +12 stam sockets are good.

For weapons, use the AT axe to help your survival. Once you are comfortable with tanking the heroics and can free up the defense then run with bonecrusher. You should aim to get the tanking sword from last boss in h-UP and I believe there is also another one from the first boss in h-UK. Once you get to level to tanking ToC5 heroic then a very nice weapon drops off the second boss and when you get to the ICC 5-man levels then there are weapons that drop in h-PoS (last boss) and h-HoR (first boss).

I agree with your conclusion (stick with the AT axe for survival stats), but not your reasoning. As a fresh 80, threat is extremely important because many of your DPS are simply going to be overgeared impatient raiders who want to blow through the instance as fast as possible. Very few people are patient enough to give you time to generate aggro as a fresh 80 - they see frisbee and yellow ground, they go balls to the wall.

I also disagree with aiming for 100% stam as a fresh 80 tanking heroics. In 5-mans, unlike raids, avoidance has a consistent impact on your survival. Don't neglect your stamina of course, but don't neglect the value of avoidance.

All this being said, I don't think that the Bonecrusher will net you enough threat to offset the defensive stats you lose. 44 defense and 19 parry is a significant amount of avoidance at your level. Being over the defense "cap" is good, as the avoidance continues even over 535 or 540.

If you run into threat issues, maybe link your armory and spec? If you don't have 3/3 Crusade, that could be a big factor. Otherwise, throwing in a few strength gems (or expertise if you're under 26 with the SoV glyph) would be acceptable. But I wouldn't replace my weapon were I in your position.
Harmacy

Postby Vorianloken » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:24 am

Well since the original poster is a freshly minted 80 with a small amount of level 80 gear (going off that he/she has only 24k hp or so), even if their gear was gemmed full threat it wouldn't matter since most dps in heroics today don't even wait for a frisbee or holy fire.

But then again, it's a matter of personal choice.
Vorianloken - 80 Prot/Ret || Ajeet - 80 Frost Tank/Unholy DPS || Nunnaly - 80 Cat/Tree Druid || Bulveye - 74 Protection Warrior || Sherana - 80 Combat Rogue || Shadallas - 40 Demo Warlock

US-Medivh Power! 7th April 2010 - The day when Dual-Wield Frost Tanking was assassinated. R.I.P my dear friend.
Vorianloken

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice