When should I start gathering other tanking sets

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

When should I start gathering other tanking sets

Postby naike » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:27 am

Hey.
I decided to start tanking again, after not tanking for years with my paladin.
Now my question arises.
My guild only runs ICC raids, and I'm not good enough for ICC, so my only source is HCs emblems and pugs.
(This is my armory.)

As you see this is just something I've gathered, now my question is, when should I start gathering other gear, like EH gear, block gear, threat sets etc.
And how do I know whats good for what, generally.
How should I improve my current gear?
And have you got tips where to get these sets.
naike
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:51 am

Re: When should I start gathering other tanking sets

Postby Harmacy » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:22 pm

The biggest improvement you can make, in my opinion, is leveling up your engineering enough to get the +885 armor enchant on your gloves. That is a tremendous amount of mitigation.

I wouldn't worry about different gear sets at your level of gear. Focus on building one set that provides both a good amount of threat and a good amount of EH for raiding.

One thing I want to address is trinkets. You have two dodge trinkets, which are nice for heroics or adds/trash, but you really want to aim for stam and armor for tanking slow-hitting raid bosses. To that end, I would use Black Heart (from reg ToC 5 man) and Glyph of Indomitability (from Triumph badges).

Aside from that, you have a pretty good idea of what stats to go after. I would try to get into a ToC 10/25 pug for some gear and raiding experience, and farm reg HoR for a new shield.

For your first purchase with Emblems of Frost, I would get the cloak. It's fantastically itemized, and you will not replace it until the next xpac.
Harmacy
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:46 pm

Re: When should I start gathering other tanking sets

Postby naike » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:13 pm

Harmacy wrote:The biggest improvement you can make, in my opinion, is leveling up your engineering enough to get the +885 armor enchant on your gloves. That is a tremendous amount of mitigation.

I wouldn't worry about different gear sets at your level of gear. Focus on building one set that provides both a good amount of threat and a good amount of EH for raiding.

One thing I want to address is trinkets. You have two dodge trinkets, which are nice for heroics or adds/trash, but you really want to aim for stam and armor for tanking slow-hitting raid bosses. To that end, I would use Black Heart (from reg ToC 5 man) and Glyph of Indomitability (from Triumph badges).

Aside from that, you have a pretty good idea of what stats to go after. I would try to get into a ToC 10/25 pug for some gear and raiding experience, and farm reg HoR for a new shield.

For your first purchase with Emblems of Frost, I would get the cloak. It's fantastically itemized, and you will not replace it until the next xpac.

Thanks for helping me out!
If you have any further suggestion please feel free to leave them here.
And shouldn't I get the trinket with Frost Emblems instead? Nice stamina for bosses.

Edit: For raids, should I use Essence of Gossamer, which gives 111 stamina? Would give more EH.
naike
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:51 am

Re: When should I start gathering other tanking sets

Postby Vorianloken » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:10 am

I can't access wow-armory at college so I will check it when I get back home.

As for when to start collecting gear for different sets --- (anecdotal inc)

When I started tanking on my paladin about a year back, I just kept one set of gear, that I could at a glance could tell was better. And I never kept offset pieces that would be good for other sets, bar stuff like the Loken trinket to keep up my defense while I used the AN trinket and the badge trinket.

But when Ulduar rolled out I started saving the old gear as I got new stuff. That's what it really comes down to. I don't really farm for gear for different sets. Just save it as I upgrade to new stuff. The only differentiation I make is that when I get a new piece that is exactly the same as a current item but has higher stats then I just sell off the old piece.

I still have stuff like the valor badge ring for threat (even though its really old stuff now), heroism badge trinket, loken trinket, XT ring, ulduar10 council cloak and loads of other stuff. Most of my old stuff is just there for a budding anub unhittable set :)
Vorianloken - 80 Prot/Ret || Ajeet - 80 Frost Tank/Unholy DPS || Nunnaly - 80 Cat/Tree Druid || Bulveye - 74 Protection Warrior || Sherana - 80 Combat Rogue || Shadallas - 40 Demo Warlock

US-Medivh Power! 7th April 2010 - The day when Dual-Wield Frost Tanking was assassinated. R.I.P my dear friend.
Vorianloken
 
Posts: 498
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:56 pm
Location: Los Angeles, US

Re: When should I start gathering other tanking sets

Postby Digren » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:59 pm

naike wrote:When should I start gathering other tanking sets

As soon as you replace one piece of epic gear with a second piece of epic gear.

Keep all your old gear until they raise the level cap. You don't have anything else to put in your bank, right?

If you don't start right away, when you decide you need a second gear set, you'll have trashed some of the pieces that you might want to regem/reenchant to make that set.
User avatar
Digren
Moderator
 
Posts: 2139
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: When should I start gathering other tanking sets

Postby bldavis » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:18 pm

Digren wrote:
naike wrote:When should I start gathering other tanking sets

As soon as you replace one piece of epic gear with a second piece of epic gear.

Keep all your old gear until they raise the level cap. You don't have anything else to put in your bank, right?

If you don't start right away, when you decide you need a second gear set, you'll have trashed some of the pieces that you might want to regem/reenchant to make that set.


like i did

im now debating wether or not to buy some of the lower teir stuff just for the bonuses on it
Image

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
User avatar
bldavis
 
Posts: 7418
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:04 pm
Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Re: When should I start gathering other tanking sets

Postby naike » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:53 pm

Thanks for all tips, ill just keep my old items from now on.
But im wondering, with all these trinket suggestions etc, im now at 100% or was it 101% avoidance and i have even enchanted all except my gloves woth avoidance enchnts, but still, umbuffed wih only holy shield up um not uncrushable, i achieved this in tbc much easier than now, is this stil required in wotlk? Is it still 102.4% and should i still be aiming for uncrushable?

Also, i now have all the best gear i can get from hcs/emblems, and im still very rately taken to pug raids, even though wowheroes suggests i should be raiding icc10 mans, but people in pugs require 5.2 to 5.5 gs (i know it sucks but stupid people just live by this addon) and im
only at 4.9.
What should i do?

(sorry for typos, writing with my iphone)
naike
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:51 am

Re: When should I start gathering other tanking sets

Postby Barathorn » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:59 pm

naike wrote:Thanks for all tips, ill just keep my old items from now on.
But im wondering, with all these trinket suggestions etc, im now at 100% or was it 101% avoidance and i have even enchanted all except my gloves woth avoidance enchnts, but still, umbuffed wih only holy shield up um not uncrushable, i achieved this in tbc much easier than now, is this stil required in wotlk? Is it still 102.4% and should i still be aiming for uncrushable?


It is still 102.4% but it isn't necessary in this expansion other than for a few gimmick fights [anub heroic etc]. I would suggest you read Digren's guide to determine what you should be using at your progression level.

Also, i now have all the best gear i can get from hcs/emblems, and im still very rately taken to pug raids, even though wowheroes suggests i should be raiding icc10 mans, but people in pugs require 5.2 to 5.5 gs (i know it sucks but stupid people just live by this addon) and im
only at 4.9.
What should i do?


You have all the ilevel 264 gear from EoF? Crafted 245 Chest, 264 legs, 245 bracers and 264 boots? Just keep plugging away in honesty, if you are a decent tank you will get opportunities, when you do make sure you really stand out and do a good job, that will get you reinvited to the next run.

Barathorn

NB - Just to clarify, avoidance is dodge + parry + miss from def + 5%, your block rating doesn't count.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
User avatar
Barathorn
Moderator
 
Posts: 7112
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:08 am
Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Re: When should I start gathering other tanking sets

Postby naike » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:45 am

Barathorn wrote:
naike wrote:Thanks for all tips, ill just keep my old items from now on.
But im wondering, with all these trinket suggestions etc, im now at 100% or was it 101% avoidance and i have even enchanted all except my gloves woth avoidance enchnts, but still, umbuffed wih only holy shield up um not uncrushable, i achieved this in tbc much easier than now, is this stil required in wotlk? Is it still 102.4% and should i still be aiming for uncrushable?


It is still 102.4% but it isn't necessary in this expansion other than for a few gimmick fights [anub heroic etc]. I would suggest you read Digren's guide to determine what you should be using at your progression level.

Also, i now have all the best gear i can get from hcs/emblems, and im still very rately taken to pug raids, even though wowheroes suggests i should be raiding icc10 mans, but people in pugs require 5.2 to 5.5 gs (i know it sucks but stupid people just live by this addon) and im
only at 4.9.
What should i do?


You have all the ilevel 264 gear from EoF? Crafted 245 Chest, 264 legs, 245 bracers and 264 boots? Just keep plugging away in honesty, if you are a decent tank you will get opportunities, when you do make sure you really stand out and do a good job, that will get you reinvited to the next run.

Barathorn

NB - Just to clarify, avoidance is dodge + parry + miss from def + 5%, your block rating doesn't count.

Thanks, I've been using the gem/enchant guide to get some information about gems and enchants.
And I don't have any frost emblem items as it already takes 1month to get 1 item, and many months to get all the items doing hcs.
I have the crafted toc bracers, but I cant afford the rest, I only have around 3k gold, and that's all I have, and I generally don't like the idea to buy gear anyway.
And by the way, what boss fights require 102.4%? So I know when to use my other pieces of gear with more avoidance?
(And thanks, didn't know block isn't considered avoidance ;D )
naike
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:51 am

Re: When should I start gathering other tanking sets

Postby Vorianloken » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:20 pm

The only fight in the game right now where it makes any noticeable difference is Anub'arak Hardmodes when you are the add-tank. As long as you have 101.6% combined avoidance and block rating and about 3-3.7k block value you are going to be taking negligible damage from tanking all the adds together. I believe 3.7k block is the cut-off point for zero damage but not sure. You can't reduce add damage down to zero on 25man HM I don't think.

What are your methods for getting gold? And what professions do you have?

The tournament dailies, at the Crusader level, give about 180g or so gold I believe plus any greens/blues/epics you might get as drops from the mobs you have to kill. And they generally don't take me more than 30-40minutes but then I tend to solo the "battle before the citadel" and "threat from above" quests. If you can get a group for those then they take no more than 5 and 1 minute respectively.

If you have a crafting profession then make a macro to advertise your skill/recipes in trade chat whenever you get a chance in a city. As a JC I get anywhere from 5-20g per cut for the epic gems and as a BS I have had people tip me anywhere from 40-300g for making the ToC gear (just missing the holy paladin chest pattern now). Depending on the economy of your server and your recipes/skill professions are a really solid way of making some decent cash now and then.

For frost badges - 7 daily randoms (14 badges) + 1 weekly (5 badges) + VoA 10/25 (4 badges) that gives you 23 badges right there :) and that's enough to buy a primordial saronite and sell it on the AH for quite a hefty amount depending on your server. On medivh alliance it goes for about 1600-1800g per. But yeah, tier gear for ICC is quite expensive unfortunately.
Vorianloken - 80 Prot/Ret || Ajeet - 80 Frost Tank/Unholy DPS || Nunnaly - 80 Cat/Tree Druid || Bulveye - 74 Protection Warrior || Sherana - 80 Combat Rogue || Shadallas - 40 Demo Warlock

US-Medivh Power! 7th April 2010 - The day when Dual-Wield Frost Tanking was assassinated. R.I.P my dear friend.
Vorianloken
 
Posts: 498
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:56 pm
Location: Los Angeles, US

Re: When should I start gathering other tanking sets

Postby naike » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:45 am

Hey, yeah well I bought 1 primordial saronite with the first badges, and I kinda regret it now because I would like to buy the trinket but oh well, I'm saving from now on.
And currently I'm not making any gold, I don't need any at the moment, and I don't really see any point in farming 10k gold for 1 piece of equipment. All I get is from doing HCs, selling the greens etc, its a couple of hundred gold per day.
My mage on the server has all enchanting recepies from the shard trades, but I just don't think it's very profitable to make gold that way, maybe every now and then link your enchanting in /2 when waiting for your friends or something.
I've now noticed that people are accepting me to groups, maybe I was just a bit unsure myself.

I now think I'll get badges, to get the offset shoulder for triumphs, its better than t9 and I don't really think the 2nd set bonus from t9 is that good anyway.. Any other suggestions I should buy with badges?
(Armory)

One important question, for my MT set, how much avoidance should I be aiming at? Should I still be aiming at 102.4% or should I just start gemming for stamina like in tbc :D
And what aboubt my Block and threat set?
naike
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:51 am

Re: When should I start gathering other tanking sets

Postby Vorianloken » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:59 am

As I said, the tourney dailies don't take very long... you can do them while waiting for queues or while just chilling with friends or something... it's all upto you...

And the 245 crafted gear costs nowhere near 10k gold. Maybe the 264 gear costs that much at the lower end but definitely not the 245. I would estimate the 245 gear to cost about 2-3k gold depending on your server economy - prices of titansteel bars and crusader orbs the big factor.
Vorianloken - 80 Prot/Ret || Ajeet - 80 Frost Tank/Unholy DPS || Nunnaly - 80 Cat/Tree Druid || Bulveye - 74 Protection Warrior || Sherana - 80 Combat Rogue || Shadallas - 40 Demo Warlock

US-Medivh Power! 7th April 2010 - The day when Dual-Wield Frost Tanking was assassinated. R.I.P my dear friend.
Vorianloken
 
Posts: 498
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:56 pm
Location: Los Angeles, US

Re: When should I start gathering other tanking sets

Postby naike » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:39 am

Vorianloken wrote:As I said, the tourney dailies don't take very long... you can do them while waiting for queues or while just chilling with friends or something... it's all upto you...

And the 245 crafted gear costs nowhere near 10k gold. Maybe the 264 gear costs that much at the lower end but definitely not the 245. I would estimate the 245 gear to cost about 2-3k gold depending on your server economy - prices of titansteel bars and crusader orbs the big factor.

Yeah Ihave the bracers, and I might get the chest, but just don't know if its worth the money, not that big of a difference to T9 anyway.

Does anyone know the answer for my avoidance question?
naike
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:51 am

Re: When should I start gathering other tanking sets

Postby Vorianloken » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:04 am

I do believe that if you were soft-capped on expertise and didn't have access to the 258 gear then the crafted chest was a best in slot piece.

As for the avoidance question, no don't worry about the block cap, you won't be able to hit it inside ICC raids either way with the dodge debuff. Just focus on getting avoidance through gear, gem/enchant defense if you drop below the uncrittable threshold and just gem/enchant stam/armor :)
Vorianloken - 80 Prot/Ret || Ajeet - 80 Frost Tank/Unholy DPS || Nunnaly - 80 Cat/Tree Druid || Bulveye - 74 Protection Warrior || Sherana - 80 Combat Rogue || Shadallas - 40 Demo Warlock

US-Medivh Power! 7th April 2010 - The day when Dual-Wield Frost Tanking was assassinated. R.I.P my dear friend.
Vorianloken
 
Posts: 498
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:56 pm
Location: Los Angeles, US

Re: When should I start gathering other tanking sets

Postby naike » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:18 am

Vorianloken wrote:I do believe that if you were soft-capped on expertise and didn't have access to the 258 gear then the crafted chest was a best in slot piece.

As for the avoidance question, no don't worry about the block cap, you won't be able to hit it inside ICC raids either way with the dodge debuff. Just focus on getting avoidance through gear, gem/enchant defense if you drop below the uncrittable threshold and just gem/enchant stam/armor :)

So I shouldn't be looking at my avoidance at all, should I just stuff my sockets with 30sta gems, and enchant everything with stamina as long as i stay uncrittable?
naike
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:51 am

Next

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest