Expertise OMG

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Expertise OMG

Postby Gyute » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:13 pm

So I have gone above and beyond the expertise soft cap and I know that there has been many discussions about parry hasteing being removed from most of our encounters that we are facing in ICC.

armory http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... s&cn=Gyute

I am about to buy the Cat chest and will be swimming in even more....

So thinking of dropping the Seal of Vengeance glyph and replacing it with Judgement, and while I am at it, going to replace the SA glyph as I feel it has ran its course....

So need some help deciding on other glyphs. I am considering the Salvation Glyph but I know peoples mileage has varied.

Also thinking of putting on the RD glyph as my hit is low and resisted/missed taunts can be kindof a pain especially since will be losing my T9 2 sec off taunt CD...
Gyute

Re: Expertise OMG

Postby Khayne » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:53 pm

I would change that SA glyph for HoSalvation glyph, but i'm not too sold on judgement still even if you do swim in expertise. If you got plenty enough threat, i'd go for divine plea + HoS + RD (and i plan to do that myself too, as soon as i remember to find a scribe in guild that can do HoS glyph)
Khayne

Postby badgermonkey » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:12 pm

Why did you EVER use the SA glyph? Considering 1/2 in SA + Divine Plea + Sanc provides MORE than enough mana regen... The SA glyph is like taking a stapler and stapling your hand to your head retarded.

The Seal of Vengeance glyph is still the best for threat all the way up to 56 Expertise.
badgermonkey

Postby halabar » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:31 pm

badgermonkey wrote:Why did you EVER use the SA glyph? Considering 1/2 in SA + Divine Plea + Sanc provides MORE than enough mana regen...

Not in heroics... :D
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Zyster » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:47 am

If you have mana problems in 5man heroics, with only 1 point spend in SA and no glyph:

Your doing it wrong.

There are many ways to optimise your play, so that your mana stay high.

Alternating your abilities, its not everytime you have to spam consecration, pull before the 15 sec have passed, so that you maintain your DP.

This could be done when we had 25k hp, and it surely can be done at the current gear level.

Edit: Rewrote some of the sentences.
Zyster

Postby badgermonkey » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 am

halabar wrote:
badgermonkey wrote:Why did you EVER use the SA glyph? Considering 1/2 in SA + Divine Plea + Sanc provides MORE than enough mana regen...

If you're at the gear level where it doesn't, you could be

a) Pulling more mobs than god, then pulling more

or

b) Stop casting Consecration. SoCleave gives plenty of threat on individual pack pulls.

And the extra 2% would have been irrelevent. At the gear level that you don't have enough mana, you will barely be recieving actual heals anyway. I manage to keep my mana up just fine running heroics without a healer.
badgermonkey

Postby Koatanga » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:26 pm

Just buy the 128-int trinket with your spare badges and swap it in for heroics. Mana problem solved while maintaining a full rotation in heroics.

Back in the olden days we ran those heroics with our 22k health pools and blue gear, so one trinket in an all-epic set is not going to make you unhealable. It will just mean that everything that returns a % of mana will return much more mana.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Gyute » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:21 pm

Thanks guys for the responses.

Yah I had the SA glyph from many many moons ago, just never reglyphed...lol

I think I am going to go with the RD + DP + HoS glyphs.

Thanks again!
Gyute

Postby halabar » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:51 pm

Koatanga wrote:Just buy the 128-int trinket with your spare badges and swap it in for heroics. Mana problem solved while maintaining a full rotation in heroics.

Back in the olden days we ran those heroics with our 22k health pools and blue gear, so one trinket in an all-epic set is not going to make you unhealable. It will just mean that everything that returns a % of mana will return much more mana.

Yeah, might do this next time I hit 50 badges. Bought gems last time.

Regarding the chain pulling, I'm giving pug scrub healers heart attacks as it is.. :D I had one ninja-log last week after the first pull. lol. Need to get a guild healer going with me so I can actually really chain pull.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Gamingdevil » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:01 pm

You're at 21 expertise according to your armory. With the Cat Chest that would be 31. IMO it's far too early for you to be dropping the Glyph of SoV. It's still an excellent threat glyph and you're miles away from the hard cap still.
If it is weak, kill it before it gets stronger. If it is strong, weaken it.
Gamingdevil

Postby Vorianloken » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:24 am

halabar wrote:

was gonna say chain-pull then I saw the other posts hehe

halabar wrote:
Koatanga wrote:Just buy the 128-int trinket with your spare badges and swap it in for heroics. Mana problem solved while maintaining a full rotation in heroics.

Yeah, might do this next time I hit 50 badges. Bought gems last time.

Regarding the chain pulling, I'm giving pug scrub healers heart attacks as it is.. :D I had one ninja-log last week after the first pull. lol. Need to get a guild healer going with me so I can actually really chain pull.

The only heroic I really have a problem with mana is in VH where I can't keep DP up and in those cases I just generally switch to using SoW for a few seconds.

And a couple days ago, I zone into a UK run with my gf on her mage(who is usually on her holy pally) and I type in party chat that I will be chain-pulling and pull all of the first hall and pop trinkets+bubblewall. The healer immediately left and he said was... idiot pally.. I was rather surprised. If healers have problems healing 45k hp "paladin" tanks in easy instances like UK I really don't have much to stay.
Vorianloken - 80 Prot/Ret || Ajeet - 80 Frost Tank/Unholy DPS || Nunnaly - 80 Cat/Tree Druid || Bulveye - 74 Protection Warrior || Sherana - 80 Combat Rogue || Shadallas - 40 Demo Warlock

US-Medivh Power! 7th April 2010 - The day when Dual-Wield Frost Tanking was assassinated. R.I.P my dear friend.
Vorianloken

Postby jathitimus » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:12 am

If you really have mana issues just start putting on ret gear or better yet pvp gear. With resil to reach uncritable I can still have have 35k or so health while having better avoidance than we did back with blues, and have a boat load of str and crit to demolish stuff with.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams
jathitimus

Postby silkforcalde » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:35 pm

jathitimus wrote:If you really have mana issues just start putting on ret gear or better yet pvp gear. With resil to reach uncritable I can still have have 35k or so health while having better avoidance than we did back with blues, and have a boat load of str and crit to demolish stuff with.

Only heroic I have mana issues in is Violet Hold since DP falls off between portals. On this one, I decided one day to wear my pvp gear to try what you said and I found the opposite happened. Since I wasn't avoiding as many attacks, I wasn't regenerating as much mana with my Sanc as I was previously. Also, I still wasn't taking any real damage from the mobs so SA wasn't returning mana either. I went oom like mana was pot and I was at a Phish concert.
silkforcalde

Postby Dendrah » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:22 am

Your job in heroics is to build aggro and keep aggro. Not to kill the mobs. You have DPS'ers for that.

I run in. Build aggro till 50-60% of the mobs health and go for the next pack. Make sure you notice your ardent proc so you can use some CD's. Some healers and DPS are to busy looting the first corpse to notice their tank is dragging half the instance already.
You won't have man problems cause there is only VH where trash packs are more then 15 seconds away from eachother.
Dendrah

Postby Scrawn » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:46 am

The Hand of Salvation Glyph is so good its almost OP. I don't think there is one fight where there is a point I don't have a >20% threat lead to not use it or a more suitable other time to use it. Its an extra cooldown putting us ahead of other tanks, use it with a cancel cast macro and your laughing even when threat is tight.

Offtopic, with the DG cancel DS macro we have a ridiculous amount of on-use cooldowns to bring to the raid table ;)
I'm not sure if you're aware, but math is, in fact, not voodoo magic, and you can't invalidate the
mathematical formulae the game is based on with your nonsense anecdotes
Scrawn

Next

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice