Remove Advertisements

Style of Tanking w/gear

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Style of Tanking w/gear

Postby Notnowchief » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:19 am

Hey guys whats up,sorry for the poor title to this post I really didnt kno what to call it. To get to my point, I was asked to become a tank for my previous guild a while back and I of course agreed. At the time I had only tankd a few times before in Uld and Naxx and wasnt sure what I was geting in to. After being forced fed alot of gear from both ToC and ICC I was main tanking in no time. I have skill at it and enjoy it but I never really had the chance to learn the ins and outs and the "technical" info that can go into gear choices. Something that may look like and up maybe not be and something that may not look like an up is/ can be made one. I hate to ask for help when not knoing exactly what Im asking for but thats pretty much what Im doing. Do i go for avoidance, stam, or armor. If I balance all of them how should I do so?What Professions would be suit my goal of becoming the best tank I can be. Any and all help will be much appreciated!
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... otnowchief
Notnowchief

Re: Style of Tanking w/gear

Postby Harmacy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:59 am

Read some of the threads in the stickies, first you should identify what level of raiding you're at and then go to the corresponding gem/gearing guide.

Professions make little difference. The only ones I would avoid are Skinning (crit), Herbalism (weak self-heal), and Inscription (dodge is nice, but stam is better). Engineering is very nice nowadays because it gives +885 armor as a profession bonus, and armor scales very well in ICC, but since you already have 100+ Blacksmithing and 450 mining you should probably save yourself some gold and stick with those two.

Some suggestions on your armory:

- Mongoose is basically Blade Warding, except much much better for a Paladin. The proc is not consumed, it generates much more threat, it has a better uptime, it provides a small amount of armor. <3 Mongoose

- More stam and armor, for progression tanking in ICC. Get stam to shield and shoulders to start out, and replace some of your hybrid gems for pure stam. Use agi/stam to meet exceptional red sockets (+9 stam or more IMO), hit/stam or def/stam to meet very exceptional yellow sockets (I don't bother unless it's a +12 in the helm slot tbh), and the rest pure stamina.

- The Ony trinket is OK for tanking adds or trash, but I would use the Triumph armor trinket instead. Bonus armor is fantastic in ICC.

- Talent spec looks good, however the Seal of Vengeace glyph is fantastic for threat. It's very good even if you're over 26 expertise from gear - since you're at 19, it's pretty much required. You will see a significant increase in threat by swapping out either Taunt or HotR for it. (my suggestion - get a scribe friend to make you a stack of different glyphs and swap them out depending on the fight - Taunt for ones like Saurfang or Festergut, HotR for add tanking, Judgement for single-target threat, etc etc.)
Harmacy

Re: Style of Tanking w/gear

Postby Notnowchief » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:58 am

wow awesome tyvm for all that info!Gonna go check the threads you mentioned!
Notnowchief

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice